L@@K who's here!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

dzalman

Post by dzalman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:08 am

Good to see the forum up again.

Was the message database lost completely (as it seems to have been)?

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:01 am

Well, I had to re-register. But apparently the "hacker" was only partially successful (thank God). The # of registered users still shows as 642. I don't quite understand that.

And I too, decline the appelation "Site Administrator". I'm flattered. but no thanks.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:52 am

I'm back. But I couldn't find my name on the member's list, so I registered anew. And have a new name. And a new signature, if I can get it to show...

Nigel.

herman

Post by herman » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:04 am

I had to sign up anew, too, just to say I'm extremely sorry to see these things happen to a friendly mom-and-pop music board like this.

On the other hand I'm honored and flattered to be appointed Site Administrator, just like everybody else. Am I to give a sort of Oscar Speech now? :wink:

ancientnut

Post by ancientnut » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:24 am

I received 8 poorly typed messages from Achilles boasting of his feat: 5 in Bulk Mail and one in my Inbox...doesn't speak highly of Yahoo's spam filters.

It's a pity that the great Zeus allows vermin like Achilles to continue to pollute the world. If he is found, I would gladly plunge a sword into this heel...or better yet, his genitals! :twisted:

ancientnut

Post by ancientnut » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:26 am

Sorry...that should be 3 in my inbox...

Hey, I'm an administrator, too!

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:43 am

I got a zillion e-mails from that fool Achilles but deleted all of them - also had a warning from AOL about the possibilities...

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:32 am

Thanks to Corlyss and everyone else who got us back up.

Not much pisses me off more than these idiots who hack and do even worse on line.

mahlerfan

Post by mahlerfan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:36 am

Yeah thanks Corlyss, Lance and anyone else who worked on restoring the board.

I bet it was a bored teenager that took his hand at the board. People will try to hack into anything for no reason, but simply that it's there to hack. They obviously are trying to compensate for a lack of something in their life. :roll: :wink:

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:36 pm

Thanks to our capable and dedicated administrators, our courteous and friendly members, and our ability to resume our discussions pretty much where we left off, hack attacks hardly cause a ripple in the grand scheme of things. If he/she/it wanted to disrupt us, it failed.

Dave

David Stybr, Engineer and Composer: It's Left Brain vs. Right Brain: best 2 falls out of 3
http://members.SibeliusMusic.com/Stybr

Coordinator, Classical Music SIG (Special Interest Group) of American Mensa

Rosie: ein Walzer für Orchester -- http://www.SibeliusMusic.com/cgi-bin/sh ... reid=59153

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:02 pm

herman wrote:On the other hand I'm honored and flattered to be appointed Site Administrator, just like everybody else. Am I to give a sort of Oscar Speech now? :wink:
Yes. Just remember that it's only an honorary title, like those commencement address speakers get. :D

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:04 pm

ancientnut wrote:It's a pity that the great Zeus allows vermin like Achilles to continue to pollute the world. If he is found, I would gladly plunge a sword into this heel...or better yet, his genitals! :twisted:
We should institute a universe-wide search for Thetis and call her in to smack him around a lot. Nothing worse than a getting your mom really really really mad at you.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:09 pm

I received no e-mails. Is that because I decided not to include an e-mail address in my profile? The admin guys have it from when In registered but this d*ckbrain who hacked in couldn't get at it. Why show your e-mail address when someone can send you a PM on the board.

Also, my name only appears once in the members list which means that it must have been deleted as the current member name lists Mrch 25 as my registration date. Is this also something to do with a lack of e-mail address?

ciao

Holden

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:42 pm

All the emails went into my junk filter. Apple's Mail Junk filter is great!

The asinine thing is that this happened over a period of time and no one noticed.

A day before it went bonkers the site was unaccessible for a while.

No one realized it was being hacked.

Then the site came back and later the hacking was finished.

Mark

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:14 am

Mark@anstendig.com wrote:The asinine thing is that this happened over a period of time and no one noticed.
I was online working the Pub when it went down. I noticed immediately.
A day before it went bonkers the site was unaccessible for a while.
I'd have to hear more to believe the two events were related. There are often temporary "Mercury-retrograde" episodes with this BBS - about once a month on an irregular basis. We've never lost the entire site like yesterday. I've never been told that those episodes were the results of hacking.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:07 am

MaestroDJS wrote:Thanks to our capable and dedicated administrators, our courteous and friendly members...
Rather unkind of you to exclude Mel from your thanks...