Ives piano sonata 1

pizza

Ives piano sonata 1

Post by pizza » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:23 am

Just heard a spectacular recording of the Ives 1st Piano Sonata played by Peter Lawson, not exactly a household name in pianists. He's elevated it almost to the level of the 2nd (Concord) which is by far the better known of the two. The recording also has fine performances of Griffes' Piano Sonata and Sessions' Sonata for Piano No 2. (Virgin Classics CD 759316-2). This is the second volume of recordings he's done by American composers; I'm looking forward to hearing Vol. 1 which has works by Barber, Carter, Copland and Ives. Amazing the stuff I've had stashed for a long time and haven't heard yet. Highly recommended!!!!!

If anyone has heard Joanna MacGregor's recording of Ives 1 on Collins Classics I'd appreciate a brief review. This is one of my favorite piano works.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:24 am

Bill Masselos gave the Ives First Sonata it’s world premiere on February 17, 1949!!! He was also the first to record the work (RCA LSC-2941) and that recording while not to the best of my knowledge available on CD is still right up there.

Cello

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:50 pm

Masselos was around juilliard when I was there.

Very well liked and respected. I wonder what happened to him?

I haven't heard the Sonata yet. But will try him when the time comes. I have the record....of course.

Mark

pizza

Post by pizza » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 am

cello wrote:Bill Masselos gave the Ives First Sonata it’s world premiere on February 17, 1949!!! He was also the first to record the work (RCA LSC-2941) and that recording while not to the best of my knowledge available on CD is still right up there.

Cello
Masselos actually recorded it first for Columbia Records on 1 Dec 1950 (issued in 1953; ML-4490). It's a better performance than RCA LSC-2941; there was also something wrong with the original RCA tapes and the sound was compromised to some extent. The Columbia recording was reissued on Odyssey 32 16 0059; both are out of print and none were ever issued on CD.

Bill Masselos died in 1992.

Here's an interesting link on Masselos:

http://www.lib.umd.edu/PAL/IPAM/IPAMmasselos.html

Blip

Post by Blip » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:01 pm

Hey, I think I'm in. I made it. No more of this "guest" nonsense.

Anyway, welcome back. I'm happy to see the damage was temporary.

I read in an article by David Schiff that the First Pieno Sonata is really more the work of editors than of Ives himself.

The article is from a 1997 issue of the Atlantic and can only be accessed by subscribers, but here is the relevant passage:

"I was jolted when Jan Swafford told me that he did not consider one of my favorite works, the First Piano Sonata, to be completely the work of Ives. Ives sketched it, Swafford said, and then, dissatisfied, abandoned it; later, editors such as John Kirkpatrick and Lou Harrison reassembled some portions and published it as an Ives work."

I'm not sure what this says about the originality of the music, though. Reassmbly does not necessarily mean recomposition.

pizza

Post by pizza » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Blip wrote:
I read in an article by David Schiff that the First Pieno Sonata is really more the work of editors than of Ives himself.

The article is from a 1997 issue of the Atlantic and can only be accessed by subscribers, but here is the relevant passage:

"I was jolted when Jan Swafford told me that he did not consider one of my favorite works, the First Piano Sonata, to be completely the work of Ives. Ives sketched it, Swafford said, and then, dissatisfied, abandoned it; later, editors such as John Kirkpatrick and Lou Harrison reassembled some portions and published it as an Ives work."

I'm not sure what this says about the originality of the music, though. Reassmbly does not necessarily mean recomposition.
Here's how it's listed in the Charles Ives Society's Catalogue of Ives' published music:

"Piano Sonata No. 1

i. Adagio con moto-Andante con moto-Allegro risoluto-Adagio cantabile
iia. Allegro moderato-Andante
iib. Allegro-Meno mosso con moto ("In the Inn")
iii. Largo-Allegro-Largo
iva. --
ivb. Allegro-Presto-Slow
v. Andante maestoso-Adagio cantabile-Allegro-Andante
Corrected edition by William Masselos, Lou Harrison, and others (1990)"

It wasn't unusual for his work to be reassembled or reconstructed from sketches given the terrible condition in which many of his manuscripts were found after his death.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:13 pm

Thanks for the Masselos bio link.

He had a certain beauty to him....at least to me, at the time.

Of course, he was over 70. But still, he was one of the people I would have expected to go on and on.

Mark