Barber Violin Concerto

Barber Violin Concerto

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:25 am

I've been listening to this piece in two different recordings that I own. I've been comparing the two performances side by side, and am interested in the differences. The two performers are Gil Shaham on DG and Hilary Hahn on Sony. I've heard both of these performers live, and they are two of the best violinists playing today, but ultimately, I prefer the cool accuracy and elegant romance of Ms. Hahn to Mr. Shaham's more passionate account of this lovely work.

In trying to analyze why I have a preference for the Sony recording over the DG, I was struck by the relatively ugly sound of the DG compact disc. I find the soloist to be over-miked, and the overall tone very bright and shrill, while the Sony disk has a much warmer sound. Do any of you find similar problems with the quality of CDs by different manufacturers?

mahlerfan

Post by mahlerfan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:33 am

Shaham is not my favorite violinist by a long shot, and I haven't heard his recording. The Hahn is quite good, but my favorite is the Stern/Bernstein recording.

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:33 am

Hahn is playing the Barber here in Philly this week. I'm hoping to catch it Saturday night.

mahlerfan

Post by mahlerfan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:33 am

Hey Barry, why was your post count reset but not mine? :?

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:19 am

David,
I must have had two different accounts on here. I kept trying different passwords, but none of them worked on the other one, so I went with this one.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:18 pm

mahlerfan wrote:Hey Barry, why was your post count reset but not mine? :?
If you have to re-register, you will lose your count. {{Sniff}} I was up pretty high, too, dammit. If you re-register, you too will be named a Site Administrator. :D See, there are benes for the inconvenience.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:28 pm

Testing!! 1234

another vote for Stern/Bernstein. Stern is not usually my favorite violinist, but I like his recording of Barber.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:51 pm

I skipped the concert, and I'm glad I did. Those two NCAA basketball games were thrillers :).
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 pm

I was going to ask about the Stern.

Another who really interests me is Kaufman, who recorded it in mono.

Mark