• Died 1982: Igor Gorin [Ignatz Greenberg], baritone, born 10-26-1904
  • Born 1930: Cristobal Halffter, composer
  • Died 1948: Konstantin Igumnov, pianist/teacher, born 05-01-1873
  • Born 1928: Byron Janis [Yanks], pianist
  • Born 1911: Enrique Jorda, conductor, died 03-18-1996
  • Born 1900: Ivan Kozlovsky, tenor, died 12-21-1993
  • Died 1985: George London [George Burnstein], bass-baritone, born 05-30-1920
  • Born 1937: Benjamin Luxon, baritone
  • Born 1821: Mathilde Marchesi, mezzo-soprano, died 11-17-1913 [possible birth year: 1831]
  • Died 1941: Selmar Meyrowitz, conductor, born 04-18-1875
  • Died 1904: Josef Rebicek, violinist/composer/conductor, born 02-07-1844
  • Born 1894: Elsa (Sangiacomo) Respighi, wife of composer Ottorino Respighi, died 03-17-1996 [age 101]
  • Born 1904: Stella Roman [Florica Vierica Alma Stela Blasu], soprano, died 02-12-1992 [possible birth 09-23-1904
  • Died 1654: Samuel Scheidt, composer/organist, born 11-03-1587
  • Died 1921: Deodat de Severac, composer, born 07-20-1872
  • Died 1994: David Van Vactor, composer, born 05-08-1906
Musical Quote for Today

"Music the fiercest grief can charm,
And Fate's severest rage disarm:
Music can soften pain to ease,
And make despair and madness please:
Our joys below it can improve,
And antedate the bliss above."

—Alexander Pope,
Ode for Musick on St. Cecilia's Day
(c. 1708)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:51 pm

I must say, Kozlovsky was just about the greatest tenor ever. The most expressive of them all. Amazing.

Mark

Anne l.

Post by Anne l. » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:09 pm

George London: Of Gods and Demons
George London combined a great voice, superb musicianship, and a commanding stage presence as few singers ever have. Written by his wife, Nora London, this new biography chronicles the life of a talented, driven man who fell in love with opera as a boy, and achieved greatness not only in America, but also all over the world. This is the story of an exemplary life and career well told by the person who knew him best. The volume contains a CD with rare live recordings of London.

Click here for more information about this book

http://www.metoperafamily.org/shop/disp ... 2&CatID=26

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:18 am

Anne l. wrote:George London: Of Gods and Demons
George London combined a great voice, superb musicianship, and a commanding stage presence as few singers ever have. Written by his wife, Nora London, this new biography chronicles the life of a talented, driven man who fell in love with opera as a boy, and achieved greatness not only in America, but also all over the world. This is the story of an exemplary life and career well told by the person who knew him best. The volume contains a CD with rare live recordings of London.

Click here for more information about this book

http://www.metoperafamily.org/shop/disp ... 2&CatID=26
Yes, London was certainly one of the great ones. A man of integrity in the vocal arts, for sure. I'm anxious to get this book as soon as it comes out. I have all the Baskerville series so far. I think only one was disappointing. Nice to have the CDs, too! Thanks for letting us know about this book. I have mine on order. London's wife, Nora, also write another book about her husband, Aria for George. No doubt you have that one in your library?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:02 am

yes, London was fabulous. It is just that there are more of his equal in bass-baritones, and less of Kozlovsky's equal in tenors....so i didn't mention him.

A big error on my part.

London was great and one of his greatest records is a record of excerpts from operas with Morel conducting, of all people. That record is sensational. Just magnificent, and includes the two monologues of Hans Sachs, the two monologues of Boris, Some great french stuff and even a magnificent aria from "the Emperor Jones". The accompaniments are examplary and text book lessons of how those works should sound. The great Massenet aria is beyond belief, and shows us what whimps most conductors are with that repertory.

I grew up hearing London at the Met, and it was a privilege. His Amfortas with Knappertsbusch is preserved for posterity. And it wasn't any less with Reiner at the met.

Mark

Anne l.

Post by Anne l. » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:21 am

London's wife, Nora, also write another book about her husband, Aria for George. No doubt you have that one in your library?
I do not have that book but appreciate your telling us about it. Thanks!

London was great and one of his greatest records is a record of excerpts from operas with Morel conducting, of all people. That record is sensational. Just magnificent, and includes the two monologues of Hans Sachs, the two monologues of Boris, Some great french stuff and even a magnificent aria from "the Emperor Jones". The accompaniments are examplary and text book lessons of how those works should sound. The great Massenet aria is beyond belief, and shows us what whimps most conductors are with that repertory.
Is it possible to still buy this recording? I would love to hear it.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:44 am

I have it.

When I tape it, I could make some copies.

It is an analog record. One of the few treasures Morel left us.

The ones one seldom hears exactly as they should sound are the two Boris monologues. Those Rimsky-orchestrated accompanimemts are so gorgeously played it takes my breath away. Especially the one with the clocks. Now hearing that exactly as written, with the highest musical culture....now that is worth everything to me.

Mark

Anne l.

Post by Anne l. » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:15 am

When I tape it, I could make some copies.
I would really appreciate a copy and would be glad to reimburse you for your time and expenses.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:32 am

I have a lot planned to copy, as i have to redo everything with my new Sao Win Pickup cartridge. So I cannot say when it will happen.

But keep after me if I don't get back about it in a few weeks.

Mark

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:36 am

Maybe I will do that one soon. After all, it is conducted by my own teacher. And I should retape some of his things with the new cartridge.

BTW, it is an old old recording that was redone on RCA's cheaper label. The sound is not great. I use EQ when I listen to it. But that has to be done in the individual listening room.

Mark

Anne l.

Post by Anne l. » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks, Mark! I appreciate you doing this for me.

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:41 am

Lance wrote:Yes, London was certainly one of the great ones. A man of integrity in the vocal arts, for sure. I'm anxious to get this book as soon as it comes out. I have all the Baskerville series so far. I think only one was disappointing. Nice to have the CDs, too! Thanks for letting us know about this book. I have mine on order. London's wife, Nora, also write another book about her husband, Aria for George. No doubt you have that one in your library?
George London is a soloist in one of the prize recordings of my collection. Alas his career was cut short by paralysis of his vocal chords, but luckily he made some outstanding recordings, and this was among his last.

Paul Hindemith (1895-1963): A Requiem for Those We Love "When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd". Louise Parker, Contralto; George London, Bass-Baritone; Schola Cantorum of New York; New York Philharmonic / Paul Hindemith (Recorded April 1963). CBS MPK 45881

Dave

David Stybr, Engineer and Composer: It's Left Brain vs. Right Brain: best 2 falls out of 3
http://members.SibeliusMusic.com/Stybr

Coordinator, Classical Music SIG (Special Interest Group) of American Mensa

String Quintet No. 2 in B Minor -- http://www.SibeliusMusic.com/cgi-bin/sh ... reid=53172