Just One Work

Just One Work

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:59 pm

So far as I know, I have just one work by Leo Weiner in my little CD collection. Based on that one work, I would like to hear more of his music. (Will I? Don't know, as I have an awful lot that doesn't get listened to already!)

Another composer I have just one work by is Guilmant, and it's a work I am really crazy about! I should definitely hear more of this composer. (But when? When?)

What are some of your one work composers? And does the one work you have want you to hear more of that composer's work?

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:28 pm

If it's true that Monteverdi didn't compose 'Pur ti miro . . . pur ti godo' that closes Poppea, and if it really was composed by Benedetto Ferrari, I'd like to hear more of that guy's music!
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:16 pm

Wow, great question. I'll omit those one-work composers in my collection who don't really interest me to investigate further. Below are the composers I'd like to know better, but either haven't got around to it, or simply can't find anything else by them.

John Antill (1904-1985), Australia: Corroboree (complete ballet)
Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (1644-1704), Germany: Die Rosenkranz-Sonaten
Arrigo Boïto (1842-1918), Italy: Mephistofele
Leo Brouwer (1939- ), Cuba: Concerto for Guitar and Small Orchestra
Clive Douglas (1903-1977), Australia: Three Frescoes
Adolph von Henselt (1814-1889), Germany / Russia: Piano Concerto in F Minor
Engelbert Humperdinck (1854-1921), Germany: Hänsel und Gretel (complete opera)
Joseph Jongen (1873-1953), Belgium: Symphonie concertante pour orgue et orchestre
Dorian Le Gallienne (1915-1963), Australia: Sinfonietta
Dinu Lipatti (1917-1950), România: Concertino in Classical Style for Piano and Chamber Orchestra
William Lovelock (1899-1984), United Kingdom / Australia: Flute Concerto
André Mathieu (1929-1968), Canada: Symphonie Romantique pour piano et orchestre "Concerto de Québec"
Roger Matton (1929-2004), Canada: L'Escaouette (a fantastic work for chorus and orchestra on French Canadian folksongs)
Pierre Mercure (1927-1966), Canada: Cantate pour une Joie
Francisco Mignone (1897-1986), Brazil: Festas das Igrejas: Symphonic Impressions of 4 Brazilian Churches
Richard Mohaupt (1904-1957), Germany: Stadtpfeifermusik
Otto Nicolai (1810-1849), Germany: Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor (complete opera)
Clermont Pépin (1926- ), Canada: Symphonie No. 2
André Previn (1929- ), Germany / United States: Guitar Concerto
Joaquim Raff (1822-1882), Switzerland / Germany: Symphony No. 5 in E Major, "Lenore"
Ned Rorem (1923- ), United States: Violin Concerto
Hans Rott (1858-1884), Austria: Symphony in E Major
Othmar Schoeck (1886-1957), Switzerland: Notturno for Baritone and String Quartet
Erwin Schulhoff (1894-1942), Czechoslovakia: Divertissement for Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon
Giovanni Sgambati (1941-1914), Italy: Piano Concerto in G Minor
Harold Shapero (1920- ), United States: Symphony for Classical Orchestra
Christian Sinding (1856-1941), Norway: Piano Concerto in D-Flat Major
Fela Sowande (1905-1987), Nigeria: African Suite for String Orchestra
Allan Stephenson (1945- ), South Africa: Piano Concerto
Tan Dun (1957- ), China: Symphony 1997 "Heaven Earth Mankind"
Sigismond Thalberg (1812-1871), Germany: Piano Concerto in F Minor
Alberto Williams (1862-1952), Argentina: Tres Suites Argentinas
Héctor Tosar (1923-2002), Uruguay: Toccata
Bernard Zweers (1854-1924), Netherlands: Symphony No. 3 "Aan mijn vaderland" [To My Fatherland]

Dave

David Stybr, Engineer and Composer: It's Left Brain vs. Right Brain: best 2 falls out of 3
http://members.SibeliusMusic.com/Stybr

Coordinator, Classical Music SIG (Special Interest Group) of American Mensa

Life and Afterlife: Four Elegies for Soprano and Orchestra
http://www.SibeliusMusic.com/cgi-bin/sh ... reid=57666

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:01 pm

MaestroDJS wrote:Erwin Schulhoff (1894-1942), Czechoslovakia: Divertissement for Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon
Dave - Schulhoff wrote a Contrabassoon Concerto, IIRC,

"Bass Nightingale", or something like that...

he was a victim of the Nazi Holocaust, died in a concentration camp. :cry:

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Jongen wrote some very nice music for flute, and I think some of his piano music is available on Naxos. Or maybe that's the flute music; I'm too lazy to get up to check. I have a number of CDs by Jongen and like everything I've heard from this composer.

I haven't yet gotten the Biber Missa Salisburgenis, but know that Roger spoke very highly of it; it's on my wish list. I have the Missa Bruxellenis, which is wonderful (so wonderful, Bach ripped.... er, borrowed a bit of it for his Magnificat). I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Rosary Sonatas played by Manze, but Amazon is a little slow in getting my most recent order out to me.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:02 am

owlice wrote: I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Rosary Sonatas played by Manze
Did you hear that disc from 7-8 years ago, the Biber sonatas with the pathetic chicken on it? I think it was Romanesca's debut disc. It completely blew my socks off. Manze does things with the violin that I didn't think were physically possible. The guy's incredible. It's one of my favorite discs.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

A.LaPorta

Post by A.LaPorta » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:24 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
owlice wrote: I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Rosary Sonatas played by Manze
Did you hear that disc from 7-8 years ago, the Biber sonatas with the pathetic chicken on it? I think it was Romanesca's debut disc. It completely blew my socks off. Manze does things with the violin that I didn't think were physically possible. The guy's incredible. It's one of my favorite discs.
It's a comfort that we don't have to worry about Mark telling us that it would sound better in analog.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:47 am

Corlyss_D wrote:If it's true that Monteverdi didn't compose 'Pur ti miro . . . pur ti godo' that closes Poppea, and if it really was composed by Benedetto Ferrari, I'd like to hear more of that guy's music!
Corlyss, do you have a CD called Una stravaganza dei Medici, which contains the wedding music for Ferdinand de Medici and Christine de Lorraine? Monteverdi was at the wedding, if I remember correctly, acompanying the Gonzagas, but none of the music is his. If you don't have it, I think you should try to find it. It shows just how good music-making was in Florence at that interesting time when opera was gestating. If you can't find it, you might let me know...

herman

Post by herman » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:09 am

I have a cd by this interesting composer, a close contemporary of Haydn's and Schubert (imagine!). He's called Ludwig van or von Beethoven, and the work performed is called Symphony nr 4.

I love this symphony. It's melodious, sunny, non-ponderous and pleasing on the ear. Sometimes I wonder if this guy wrote any more symphonies, or maybe soem violin partitas, but I never really got the time to check it out.

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:46 am

owlice wrote:I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Rosary Sonatas played by Manze
I really must try more music by Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber. He had a remarkable reputation in his lifetime, both for his great virtuosity as a violinist and for his astoundingly original music. Die Rosenkranz-Sonaten (The Mystery Sonatas or Les Sonates du Rosaire) of 1676 are an excellent example. This is a cycle of 15 sonatas for violin and continuo, plus a final Passacaglia for solo violin. The violin is tuned 15 different ways in perhaps the most extreme use of scordatura in the repertoire. The resonances are exotic and bizarre, but serve very musical ends. The scordatura of Sonata XI is the strangest of the strange. The 2 middle strings are physically interchanged in the violin and the instrument is retuned. The result is that the 1st and 3rd strings are side by side and tuned to G an octave apart; likewise the 2nd and 4th strings are side by side and tuned to D an octave apart. The resulting sounds are utterly gorgeous. It's hard to believe this music was composed 3¼ centuries ago. The Passacaglia which completes the cycle reverts to the normal tuning (also used in Sonata I). It is probably the finest work for solo violin before Bach, composed some 50 years before the Bach sonatas and partitas for solo violin. The Biber Passacaglia is a wonderful counterpart to the Bach Chaconne.
Herman wrote:I have a cd by this interesting composer, a close contemporary of Haydn's and Schubert (imagine!). He's called Ludwig van or von Beethoven, and the work performed is called Symphony nr 4.
Hmmm, Luggage Van Beethoven. Luggage Van Beethoven. Gee, just can't seem to place the name.

Dave

David Stybr, Engineer and Composer: It's Left Brain vs. Right Brain: best 2 falls out of 3
http://members.SibeliusMusic.com/Stybr

Coordinator, Classical Music SIG (Special Interest Group) of American Mensa

Life and Afterlife: Four Elegies for Soprano and Orchestra
http://www.SibeliusMusic.com/cgi-bin/sh ... reid=57666

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:24 am

Corlyss_D wrote:Did you hear that disc from 7-8 years ago, the Biber sonatas with the pathetic chicken on it? I think it was Romanesca's debut disc. It completely blew my socks off. Manze does things with the violin that I didn't think were physically possible. The guy's incredible. It's one of my favorite discs.
I haven't heard it. I had suggested one of the Biber masses to a friend, who not only got them, but also started in on the violin music; he was a lapsed violinist. He raved about Manze, which is why I, not generally a fan of solo violin music, have the Rosary Sonatas on order. I'm really looking forward to hearing them!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:38 am

For DJS:

Many of the composers you list are represented on CD - some quite generously:

Mignone - a recent BIS disc is out of this world;
Sinding and Raff - have had full symphony cycles done and also lots of chamber music;
Sgambati - a couple of piano quintets have been recorded;
Ned Rorem - Naxos has a very good disc of his Symphonies 1-3;
Biber - dozens of discs - Missa Bruxellensis is an outstanding one;
Zweers - Sterling label has recently released his Second Symphony;
Jongen: represented by a few discs with his chamber music;

And, you include a couple of performing composers, i.e. Previn and Lipatti. I would mention one more - Jorg Demus - who wrote absolutely exquisite pieces for cello and piano (Marco Polo).

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:02 am

Febnyc wrote:For DJS:
Mignone - a recent BIS disc is out of this world;
Mignone I only know thru his works for Bassoon - his 16 waltzes for solo basson are very interesting, and demanding.

He has written some other solo works for Bassoon - recently released on a disc featuring Frank Morelli. it will be one of my next acquisitions, hopefully..

Mignone also wrote a nifty Sonata for 2 Bassoons - very clever, and very difficult. very much based on Brazilian folk and dance styles, this work is essentially written for two equal parts - rather bassoon A and bassoon X rather than 1st and 2nd, or A and B. neat piece...

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:57 am

Heck:

Thanks for the info on those Mignone works. The only recording I see listed is one of the Sonata for Two Bassoons.

The BIS disc I mentioned contained some orchestral pieces. Here's what I posted a couple of weeks ago:

<<A new BIS disc of music by a composer whose name was new to me - Francisco Mignone (1897-1980). I listened with a growing appreciation and amazement.

Mignone was Brazilian and wrote very much in the folk idiom of that country and, especially, of the rhythms of the Matto Grosso.

The third work on this CD - Maracatu de Chico Rei - is a ballet score. Each dance is gripping. Some of them are so carnal and uninhibited, with wild pulsating rhythms, that they resemble, but even are more sensual than, The Rite of Spring. I was not ready for such an overpowering experience. I'd love to see this ballet staged - the music is almost savage in its beauty.

Another composer resurrected from the dust bin of history by an enterprising recording company.>>

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:49 am

Febnyc wrote:Heck:

Thanks for the info on those Mignone works. The only recording I see listed is one of the Sonata for Two Bassoons.
Morelli's disc is, I think available directly from him. but it should go out for general distribution any time soon..it also contains the villa-Lobos 7-note Ciranda for Bssn and Strings..
The third work on this CD - Maracatu de Chico Rei - is a ballet score. Each dance is gripping. Some of them are so carnal and uninhibited, with wild pulsating rhythms, that they resemble, but even are more sensual than, The Rite of Spring. I was not ready for such an overpowering experience. I'd love to see this ballet staged - the music is almost savage in its beauty.
that sounds very interesting - I'm going to look it up...Brazilian "LeSacre" - awright!!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:29 am

Febnyc wrote:For DJS:

Many of the composers you list are represented on CD - some quite generously:
[snipped] And, you include a couple of performing composers, i.e. Previn and Lipatti. I would mention one more - Jorg Demus - who wrote absolutely exquisite pieces for cello and piano (Marco Polo).
Indeed, Jörg Demus's compositions are quite lovely on the ear, and he composes easily for cello and piano. The Marco Polo disc mentioned by Febnyc [8.225036, 62:43, DDD] is quite wonderful, with cellist Maria Kliegel, one of the cello greats today (IMHO). But another disc issued on Fonit Cetra [CDC 48] on the event of Demus's birthday contains three of his pieces, two of which are for cello and piano (again with Maria Kliegel), and offers his Notturno "Nuit d'Etoiles (Night of Stars), Op. 14 in an even more stunning performance of the same work that appears on Marco Polo. (I believe these Fonit Cetra performances were recorded live in 1988 if memory serves).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:29 am

Heck148 wrote: Morelli's disc is, I think available directly from him. but it should go out for general distribution any time soon..it also contains the villa-Lobos 7-note Ciranda for Bssn and Strings..
Heck: The Morelli disc appears to available now. I see it listed on Amazon.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:31 am

Lance wrote:Indeed, Jörg Demus's compositions are quite lovely on the ear, and he composes easily for cello and piano. The Marco Polo disc mentioned by Febnyc [8.225036, 62:43, DDD] is quite wonderful, with cellist Maria Kliegel, one of the cello greats today (IMHO). But another disc issued on Fonit Cetra [CDC 48] on the event of Demus's birthday contains three of his pieces, two of which are for cello and piano (again with Maria Kliegel), and offers his Notturno "Nuit d'Etoiles (Night of Stars), Op. 14 in an even more stunning performance of the same work that appears on Marco Polo. (I believe these Fonit Cetra performances were recorded live in 1988 if memory serves).
Lance: Thanks for that. It's nice to see someone else who agrees on the beauty of the Demus cello music.