Mozart Camargo Guarnieri (1907-1993)

Febnyc

Mozart Camargo Guarnieri (1907-1993)

Post by Febnyc » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:48 pm

I've been following the BIS releases (three of them now) which present the Symphonies of Mozart Camargo Guarnieri. (Yes, Mozart - and he had seven siblings, three of whom were boys: Belline, Rossine and Verdi.) These are fantastic pieces, worthy enough to cause Guarnieri to be recognized as Brazil's most important composer since you-know-who.

And now, along comes Naxos with a disc of the first three of Guarnieri's Piano Concertos (he wrote six). What marvelous works! Unlike Villa-Lobos. whose main instrument was the cello, Guarnieri was a pianist. In my opinions he outdoes his more famous predecessor in the piano concerto contest. Full of Brazilian rhythms, dances and meltingly lyrical slow movements (No.2 has a middle movement marked Affetuoso/Scherzando and it is an absolutely perfect eight minutes or so), and laced with dazzling sonorities, these Guarnieri Concertos need to be heard.

In 1993, shortly before his death, Guarnieri was awarded the Gabriela Mistral Prize by the OAS - denoting him as the greatest contemporary composer of the Americas. If you listen to these kaleidoscopic and imaginative works (symphonies, too) you'll understand how appropriate was this award

MaestroDJS
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Post by MaestroDJS » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:06 pm

I'll be darned, I do have some music by Mozart Camargo Guarnieri in my LP collection. They're only 3 orchestral dances, but they're quite good. Well, it's a start, so I'll put those symphonies and concerti on my shopping list. Thank you for the recommendations, Febnyc.

Guarnieri: Tres Danças para Orquestra: Dança Selvagem, Dança Negra, Dança Brasileira.
Louisville Orchestra / Jorge Mester. Louisville LS-702.
(coupled with Ibert: Bacchanale; Talmi: Overture on Mexican Themes; Toch: Miniature Overture; Tosar: Toccata)

In the early 1990s a 2nd-hand record shop in Chicago had a truckload of Louisville Orchestra LPs at almost giveaway prices, so I scooped up all they had.

Dave

David Stybr, Engineer and Composer: It's Left Brain vs. Right Brain: best 2 falls out of 3
http://members.SibeliusMusic.com/Stybr

Coordinator, Classical Music SIG (Special Interest Group) of American Mensa

Life and Afterlife: Four Elegies for Soprano and Orchestra
http://www.SibeliusMusic.com/cgi-bin/sh ... reid=57666

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:20 pm

Dave: Thanks for the response. Give Senhor Guarnieri a try - I would start with the Symphonies 2&3 on BIS and/or the aforementioned Naxos disc of the three Piano Concertos.