JVC XRCD -- Reiner, Munch, et al

Darryl

JVC XRCD -- Reiner, Munch, et al

Post by Darryl » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:58 am

Anyone heard JVC's XRCDs? I just got my order of several of the Reiner and Munch classics, and the sound quality is astonishing. They are pricy, but I'm able to get them wholesale. Some say they sound better than SACDs; I can not say as I only have CD playing hardware.

Bob

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:03 pm

I have three, and I bought them for specific recordings whose cd incarnations were unavailable or otherwise deficient in sound. The Munch /BSO Eroica is hard to find except on used lp and, even then, finding a "clean" copy is a crapshoot. The Reiner/CSO Gilels Brahms 2 I have found to be a considerable improvement over previous cd releases. They are pricey, as you say, but I've been fortunate to find some good Tower sales with free shipping. Unfortunately with these, there's rarely a pairing, so most people, I would think, are rather selective.

The one I'd like to see is the Munch/BSO Graffman Brahms PC1. I've written JVC to suggest it; they responded, but with no commitment.

Anyone know a good source?

Bob

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:23 pm

I've also seen some decent prices at the Amazon Marketplace, even under the "New" tab. And you don't need ultra-expensive equipment to notice the improvements.

I've spoken to the JVC folks too, and they were friendly. Their latest releases, some things from Decca which they were quick to mention, are on the JVC/XRCD website.
Last edited by Darryl on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fugu

Post by Fugu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 am

The SACDs that will replace these will far outshine the XRCDs. I have a number of the XRCDs and the SACDs and the SACDs are not only cheaper in price but are much better in sound.

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:14 am

deleted
Last edited by Darryl on Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl

Post by Darryl » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:43 pm

Dan Ferguson wrote:The SACDs that will replace these will far outshine the XRCDs. I have a number of the XRCDs and the SACDs and the SACDs are not only cheaper in price but are much better in sound.
The particular review I saw didn't refer to the SACDs of these same recordings, so this is good to know. Btw, on repeated listenings, I find some of the XRCDs a little bright sounding. Apparently this format has undergone a transition to 24-bit mastering just as CDs did about 5 years ago, and the newer ones sound better.