Baby will only sleep to Segovia playing Bach... Suggestions?

KaiBeezy

Baby will only sleep to Segovia playing Bach... Suggestions?

Post by KaiBeezy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Greetings -

I'm new here, but it sure looks like a place where I could get some good advice.

I've tried a lot of different music to help get my 9-month-old to sleep. The one that works by very far the best is Andres Segovia playing Bach pieces for lute, violin, and cello. The even tempos and repetition are perfect, as is the soft-edged guitar.

But the most important part, I think, is the fact that the dynamic range is pretty narrow - nothing gets too loud or exciting. (Contrary example: the Erik Satie "Soft Sounds" CD, which you would think would be plenty mellow, has some parts that get quite loud - woke him right up.)

So that's all good for the boy, but I can't listen to the same thing over and over, no matter how great it is. If I could find just 5 or 10 more CDs that work as well for him, I'd be a lot happier.

The other thing I have had a bit of luck with is Tchaikovsky, Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (vocals), but I'm trying not to put *myself* to sleep ;)

More Bach? The solo cello? Would the solo violin pieces be too harsh?

More guitar? Who else has that soft, round sound like Segovia?

Mozart maybe?

I look forward to your suggestions, and thank you in advance.

- KBZ

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 pm

Robert de Visee

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... =classical

Anything originally composed for lute or theorbo will be very mellow by virtue of the instruments themselves.

This may be promising. Adagios are usually very relaxing and mellow

You can sample all these offerings on the Amazon website if you have sound on your computer.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:52 pm

Welcome aboard ... we're delighted to have you here!

When my daughter was growing up, and I had to babysit while the wife taught piano, she loved any music I performed, though I didn't "blast" any music. There was lots of Mozart, early Beethoven, songs of Schubert and Strauss (there are lots of lullabys around by good composers). But the guitar is a wonderful instrument because it is generally not harsh to young ears. Good for you for finding a way to charm your child to sleep. Choral works might also work well. I'm trying to think of certain pieces, but as I type here, I am putting myself to sleep at this not-too-late hour, but late enough!

I'm sure you will have plenty of suggestions by our well-informed CMGers. Keep watch!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:01 am

Welcome! My son used to fall asleep to almost anything, so I don't know about human children, but I can say, my poodle seems to be mesmerized by Debussy's Images, Mozart's Piano Concertos (The andante's. The finales can be a bit stimulating.), and Chopin's Berceuse (natch.)

All the best, and good luck getting your little tyke and the sandman together.
Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:47 am

I wonder if baby might like Debussy? I find Images (solo piano) fairly soothing and even his orchestral works are not extreme dynamically. I'm also soothed by Albéniz's piano music--an Alicia de Larrocha set with Iberia and Suite Española gets frequent play at our house.

So do guitarists. You can hardly go wrong with John Williams or David Russell, but there are many terrific players on Naxos for cheap: Nick Goluses, Antigoni Goni, Norbert Kraft, Adam Holzman, Jason Vieaux. I wonder if baby might like Barrios? Williams and Russell both have fine Barrios discs, and Goni has a nice one as well, though it lacks The Cathedral.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

KaiBeezy

Thanks so much - keep em coming!

Post by KaiBeezy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:30 am

I have a CD of Debussy Images, will give it another try.

The one John Williams guitar CD I have he comes off a bit plinky and sharpish, not at all the same vibe as Segovia.

Any other specific Bach recommendations? There are so many recordings?

- KBZ

DavidRoss

Re: Thanks so much - keep em coming!

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:22 am

KaiBeezy wrote:The one John Williams guitar CD I have he comes off a bit plinky and sharpish, not at all the same vibe as Segovia.

That must be a bad CD. Williams has unexcelled control of tone color. Part of the reason I often prefer his recordings to Segovia's is the comparative brittleness of the master's tone--probably due to older recording technology?

You asked earlier about the cello suites and I agree they might be a good choice. My favorite is Fournier, but there are many good recordings: Tortelier, the old Casals, Wispelwey, even Ma, and I rather like Edgar Meyer's one disc selection of suites performed on double bass. And perhaps the Goldberg Variations on piano?
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

KaiBeezy

Fournier, Williams, etc....

Post by KaiBeezy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:26 am

My dear old uncle had the same immediate response: "the cello suites, Fournier's version" and is sending us a copy. That will be a treat!

My mistake on the Williams. It was late. It was actually Julian Bream, Fret Works, playing Sor, Torroba and Turina. Listening to it now, I was right about the "plinky". Part of that is the character of the music, which is less serene than the Bach. Doesn't make it bad, just not quite right for the purpose. I will give Williams a try.

I have a Gould Goldberg Variations on vinyl. Haven't listened to it in a while. My recollection (now suspect :( is that it was quite dramatic.

Flicking through the Debussy Images, there are quite a few louder parts. Too risky!

This is fun!

- KBZ

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:47 am

Teresa B wrote:my poodle seems to be mesmerized by Debussy's Images, Mozart's Piano Concertos
I'm glad you mentioned that. My poodle loved Mozart and Handel and Debussy. Discerning breed, no?
Corlyss

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:28 am

Discerning breed, si! Many poodles seem smarter than most people--yours among them, no doubt!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:07 pm

DavidRoss wrote:Discerning breed, si! Many poodles seem smarter than most people--yours among them, no doubt!
They don't just seem smarter, they are smarter. I began to notice this phenomenon back in the late 70s. I have an apricot. I'm convinced that the first animal to drive a car will be an apricot poodle.
Corlyss

KaiBeezy

conversation has gone completely to the dogs...

Post by KaiBeezy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:12 pm

You two would surely enjoy David Brin's "Uplift Saga" - a six part sci-fi epic about aliens who help other species become part of the galactic scene. Dogs, gorillas, chimps and dolphins all talk and fly around in spaceships. Humans too. http://www.davidbrin.com/upliftbooks.html

Now, back to *my* needs... ;)

- K

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: conversation has gone completely to the dogs...

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:54 pm

KaiBeezy wrote: Now, back to *my* needs... ;)

- K
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Corlyss

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:24 am

KaiBeezy wrote:I have a CD of Debussy Images, will give it another try.

The one John Williams guitar CD I have he comes off a bit plinky and sharpish, not at all the same vibe as Segovia.

- KBZ
I'd recommend three EMI CDs by Christopher Parkening. One is titled Parkening Plays Bach (CDC-7 47191 2), the second In the Spanish Style (CDC-7 47194 2) and third Simple Gifts CDC 547525 2). I too find Willliams' tone a bit on the metallic side (perhaps an atrifact of the CBS recordings or masterings) and find Parkening a master of subtle colorations.

Naxos is the preeminent label in the recording of solo guitar and they have produced two CDs of the works of Barrios--wonderfully lyric Latin American music. Berkshire Record Outlet has all five volumes of the works of Napoleon Coste, very beautiful and strikingly original music. Coste was in my opinion the Chopin of the guitar.

John
Last edited by CharmNewton on Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:56 pm

CharmNewton wrote: Berkshire Record Outlet has all five volumes of the works of Napoleon Coste, very beautiful and strikingly original music. Coste was in my opinion the Chopin of the guitar.

John
John, if you are up to it, this deserves a special post on it's own thread. Tell us more about this guy.
Corlyss

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:46 am

The lady who has the seat next to me at my SFS subscription says her baby will only sleep to Thomas Tallis...go figure...

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:55 pm

Auntie Lynn wrote:The lady who has the seat next to me at my SFS subscription says her baby will only sleep to Thomas Tallis...go figure...
Those English Reformation guys, Tallis, Weelkes, Byrd, Dowland, are all incredibly soothing, esp. Byrd. I think Rutter has a few discs of music from that era.
Corlyss

Teresa B

Post by Teresa B » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:50 am

Corlyss_D wrote:
DavidRoss wrote:Discerning breed, si! Many poodles seem smarter than most people--yours among them, no doubt!
They don't just seem smarter, they are smarter. I began to notice this phenomenon back in the late 70s. I have an apricot. I'm convinced that the first animal to drive a car will be an apricot poodle.
Hi Corlyss,

I just got back from 3 days in the Big Apple, so just noted your posts. I agree wholeheartedly. My 9-year-old toy poodle Chili is officially a "red," but her coat has lightened to a nice apricot.

She outsmarts the rest of the family pretty much on a daily basis.

All the best,
Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"