Marilyn Horne - simply incredible voice!

Lance
Site Administrator

Marilyn Horne - simply incredible voice!

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:49 pm

I finally got a "playable" copy of a VAI CD [1207] (Marilyn Horne in Salzburg) in a live recital [mono only] recorded in 1979 with the outstanding Martin Katz at the piano.

I was knocked off my feet with her rendering of the aria "Nel profondo cieco mondo" from Vivaldi's opera Orlando Furioso, enough to acquire her complete recording of the opera on Erato [45147, 3 CDs] issued around 1978. At this point in her life, Horne was in complete control. Rarely have I heard a mezzo voice as agile and with the range she had. Today, only Cecilia Bartoli compares favourably insofar as technique is concerned, but Horne has the more beautiful voice, IMHO. (But I am also a great fan of Ms. Bartoli, too, but I don't believe she has recorded this aria, though she should.)

By the way, Martin Katz's piano accompaniment in this piece was as nearly as incredible as Miss Horne's work in the aria. I actually prefer the piano accompaniment to the orchestra. Everything Katz provides as her assisting artist is first class.

The VAI CD offers four Schubert songs, three of Bizet, Falla's Seven Popular Spanish Songs, arias from Lucrezia Borgia and Samson et Dalila. The encore is Stephen Foster's favourite, "Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair."

If one can say that a vocalist is entirely satisfying in a recital, I would nominate Marilyn Horne!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

markhedm

Post by markhedm » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:07 am

Horne appeared often on American public television around that time (1979). There was one concert she gave with Joan Sutherland, which included duets, which was a real treat. Yes, she had an agile voice, quite athletic. She did have an incredible voice, full-bodied tone, with both a great top and bottom.

Mark H.

lmpower

Post by lmpower » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:37 am

In the 1950's Marilyn Horne frequently performed in the Monday Evening Concerts in Plummer Park in West Hollywood. I thought she was good, but frankly I had no premonition of her later rise to greatness.

Auntie Lynn

Post by Auntie Lynn » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:26 pm

...and furthermore...when she did Handel's Orlando with SF Opera, my daughter was one of the genii children. She was wonderful to everybody - a very generous and exceptionally funny lady...

Got great pictures - if only I knew how to get 'em on here...

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:20 am

Auntie Lynn wrote:Got great pictures - if only I knew how to get 'em on here...
Auntie, here's a link to a discussion we had last month about posting personal pics here and how to do it. You will need to lodge them with a 3rd party host to do it, but as Ted's bear pics show, it's doable.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form