Norwegian Dance by M. Rebel - Help!

bthamrin

Norwegian Dance by M. Rebel - Help!

Post by bthamrin » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:44 pm

I have been looking for informations about this song, Norwegian Dance by M. Rebel, on the net but can't seem to find any. I do not know the first name of the composer, nor the year it was written.

It is a song for violin and piano, copyrighted in 1952 by J & W Chester, ltd., London.

I can forward a copy of the music score.

If anyone knows about this song, please let me know. Thanks!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:06 am

What exactly did you want to know?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

PJME

norwegian dance

Post by PJME » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:46 am

As far as I could find out, it probably is a norwegian dance by Grieg,in a transcription for violin and piano by a" M.Rebel. "
Jean Ferry Rebel is an interesting french composer from the 18th century (lovely pieces for harpsichord, works for violin and harpsichord...) ,but I don't think he ever wrote a norwegian dance...!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: norwegian dance

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:03 am

PJME wrote:As far as I could find out, it probably is a norwegian dance by Grieg,in a transcription for violin and piano by a" M.Rebel. "
Jean Ferry Rebel is an interesting french composer from the 18th century (lovely pieces for harpsichord, works for violin and harpsichord...) ,but I don't think he ever wrote a norwegian dance...!
He certainly didn't write it 300 years after his death, either. :D

Meeuwis Rebel is the guy in question (b. 1957). The only contact info is that of the sheet music co., which our questioner probably already has. I would suggest writing the composer @ the sheet music co. The composer can answer any questions about the composition.
Corlyss

PJME

Jean - Meeuwis Ferry-Grieg

Post by PJME » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:34 am

Chère comtesse, wrong - alas! Meeuwis Rebel is able to speak in tongues, he is not only the re-incarnation of Ferry Rebel but is actually writing Grieg's second pianoconcerto - as dictated by the master himself!

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: Jean - Meeuwis Ferry-Grieg

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:56 pm

PJME wrote:Chère comtesse, wrong - alas! Meeuwis Rebel is able to speak in tongues, he is not only the re-incarnation of Ferry Rebel but is actually writing Grieg's second pianoconcerto - as dictated by the master himself!
Wow! Talented guy!!!! Too bad the questioner wasn't interested in Ferry Rebel. Much more interesting composer IMO than someone who knocks off arrangements of Grieg (not that there's anything wrong with Grieg).
Corlyss

bthamrin

Post by bthamrin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:08 am

Thanks all, but I don't think it's Jean- Ferry Rebel nor Meeuwis (he's not even born when the music was copyrighted!)

I found it on the "Chesterian" series of Graded Violin Music which was edited and arranged by Peggy Radmal.

I need information about the composer, like the year he was born and such, for an exam my sister's going to do.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:07 am

bthamrin wrote:Thanks all, but I don't think it's Jean- Ferry Rebel nor Meeuwis (he's not even born when the music was copyrighted!)

I found it on the "Chesterian" series of Graded Violin Music which was edited and arranged by Peggy Radmal.

I need information about the composer, like the year he was born and such, for an exam my sister's going to do.
I've tried any number of ways to find this guy. Peggy Radmal is a live name, apparently the composer York Bowen dedicated some violin composition to her. That and Meeuwis were as much as I was able to find. Hard to imagine that out of the trillions of docs on the net, your Rebel isn't mentioned.

If anyone has a Groves, maybe they could check it.
Corlyss

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Norwegian Dance by M. Rebel - Help!

Post by Lance » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:04 am

bthamrin wrote:I have been looking for informations about this song, Norwegian Dance by M. Rebel, on the net but can't seem to find any. I do not know the first name of the composer, nor the year it was written.

It is a song for violin and piano, copyrighted in 1952 by J & W Chester, ltd., London.

I can forward a copy of the music score.

If anyone knows about this song, please let me know. Thanks!
I've done some extensive research on this great French family of musicians named Rébel. I assume that "M. Rebel" may be a part of this family, extended into the 20th century. Searching several editions of Groves (except the most recently published in 2000), none of three mentioned: Jean-Féry Rébel (1661-1747), Anne-Renée Rébel (1662-1722) [sister of Jean-Féry], and François Rébel (1701-1775) [nephew of Jean-Féry] would have been around when this Norwegian Dance was copyrighted in 1952. I've checked many other publications and cannot locate an "M. Rebel." If the Norwegian Dance was, as someone suggested, a transcription of a piece by Edvard Grieg, bear in mind that Grieg's dates are 1843-1907. So, by the time Grieg died, it seems quite possible that "M. Rebel" was alive and well, and would still be alive in 1952 when the piece was copyrighted in England.

What may help the most is to locate a paper on the Rébel family that analysed the "family" musical output. This was published by L. de La Laurencie, but I cannot find any other details or the date of this publication.

I might be able to find out more if this piece was ever recorded. If it was, please supply that information [performing artist, label and number].
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:16 pm

bthamrin wrote:I need information about the composer, like the year he was born and such, for an exam my sister's going to do.
Well, B., you can tell your sister that you had the best musical brains on the planet trying to solve your mystery for her, but there was just too little info provided and available. My last thought would be to contact Peggy Radmal, if the lady is still with us, but I'm guessing you don't have that kinda time.
Corlyss

bthamrin

Post by bthamrin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:41 pm

I did think of contacting peggy radmal, but can't seem to find email address or such.

I will try to read more about the Rebel family. It sounds highly possible that "M. Rebel" is part of this family.

I haven't got any recordings of this song, unfortunately.

I really appreciate all the time and efforts you put into this.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:25 am

bthamrin wrote:I did think of contacting peggy radmal, but can't seem to find email address or such.
Try thru the sheet music publisher. If they have a phone # try calling them. If not, snail mail.
I really appreciate all the time and efforts you put into this.
Wish we could have turned it for you. We really enjoy the challenge. Let us know what you find out.
Corlyss