Kurt Graunke, conductor/composer, dead at 89

Lance
Site Administrator

Kurt Graunke, conductor/composer, dead at 89

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:21 am

Composer-Conductor Kurt Graunke Is Dead at 89
Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa) - 8 June 2005

MUNICH (dpa) — Kurt Graunke, a composer and conductor who helped rebuild Munich's classical music scene after World War II, has died at the age of 89, his family disclosed Tuesday [June 7].

The family said he died on Sunday [June 5], with the funeral to take place on June 9.

Graunke, trained in the violin and clarinet, founded the "Graunke Symphony Orchestra" in Munich shortly after the end of World War II in 1945. It was later renamed the Munich Symphony Orchestra, with Graunke conducting it up until 1989.

Born in the former Stettin — today Szczecin in Poland — Graunke also composed nine symphonies, a violin concerto and various smaller orchestral works. He also was a guest conductor for the Munich and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestras.

Besides music, Graunke was also a bicycle racing enthusiast. He competed in a seniors world bicycling tournament at the age of 76.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Never heard of him. How do you find these people, Herr Direktor???? :D
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

PJME

Kurt Graunke in memoriam.

Post by PJME » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:35 am

At the end of WWII Mr. Graunke founded the Graunke Orchestra, which became the Munich Symphony Orchestra. He guided the symphony as conductor until 1989. The Munich Symphony Orchestra has performed the music for over 500 films including "Silence of the Lambs" and Fassbinder’s very strange "Querelle." Mr. Graunke composed nine symphonies and countless other works during his lifetime. He worked as a conductor on the Walt Disney productions "Peter and the Wolf," "Make Mine Music" and "Grand Canyon." He was the orchestrator on the German pre-"Sound of Music" films "The Trapp Family" and "The Trapp Family in America." Other credits include "Captain Sinbad" and new scores for the silent films "Faust" and "Tartuffe."

Maybe one can compare Graunke a little bit with Morton Gould - composer-conductors who wrote easily and all kinds of music -for shows, films,theatre & TV. He was most famous during the ca 1960-1970 period.He sold many easy listening LP's in the Low Countries .
His 9 symphonies -performed by the Bavarian radio Orchestra- are available on the Sedina lable (private?)

Sedina
Wilhelm Mayr-Str. 15,
80689 München

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 am

When I just did a search in my CD catalogue for all labels, I found only one recording with the name Graunke:

EMI 62575 - Christmas Songs with baritone Hermann Prey, and this was with the Graunke Orchestra conducted by Schmidt-Gaden around 1966. But I'm sure I have many LP recordings with Herr Graunke ... seems like Remington or some non-major labels. Graunke didn't appear to conduct "his" orchestra very often, others such as Franz Allers, Willy Mattes, Michalski, Stoltz, North, Salter, W. Schubert, and others did. Maybe he was the $$$ behind his own orchestra.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:25 pm

Most, if not all of the compositions by Graunke, including all 9 of the symphonies and the violin concerto, are still available on the Sedina label from jpc in Germany.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:57 pm

Modernistfan wrote:Most, if not all of the compositions by Graunke, including all 9 of the symphonies and the violin concerto, are still available on the Sedina label from jpc in Germany.
May I ask how you would describe Graunke's music in general? Just curious since I don't know any of it. Has the Violin Concerto had some popularity?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Louis

Granunke recall

Post by Louis » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:29 am

Lance wrote:
Modernistfan wrote:Most, if not all of the compositions by Graunke, including all 9 of the symphonies and the violin concerto, are still available on the Sedina label from jpc in Germany.
May I ask how you would describe Graunke's music in general? Just curious since I don't know any of it. Has the Violin Concerto had some popularity?
I've just dug out the Sedina LP of Graunke's 4th Symphony that I haven't listened to in decades. I recall the style as being rather dense, restless (if somewhat exhausting), and chromatic, though the movements adhere to classical forms (sonata form in the outer of the 4 movements with two fugue themes in the latter). Not fair to review by memory, though, is it?

Louis

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:51 pm

You know--for a German, he did a really good Ravel's Bolero. (On the old "Music Treasures" label, that is)
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon