Richard and Theodora Schulze

Locked
Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Richard and Theodora Schulze

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:20 am

aka the Telemann Society. They recorded about 40 albums for Vox, a fact whose mention always made Ward apprehensive and panicky. I always enjoyed the group, but after Ward's reaction, I never thought I'd hear them on a serious radio station, but the other night KUSU played some of their morris dances, probably from the LP entitled The English Country Dancing Master.

Anybody else out there remember this band?

It turns out Schulze was a serious person and was instrumental in saving Carnegie Hall. Who knew?
Last edited by Corlyss_D on Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:21 am

Brings back a vague recollection. And I'm a big Telemann fan too.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17390
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Richard and Theodora Schultze

Post by Lance » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 am

Corlyss_D wrote:aka the Telemann Society. They recorded about 40 albums for Vox, a fact whose mention always made Ward apprehensive and panicky. I always enjoyed the group, but after Ward's reaction, I never thought I'd hear them on a serious radio station, but the other night KUSU played some of their morris dances, probably from the LP entitled The English Country Dancing Master.

Anybody else out there remember this band?

It turns out Schulze was a serious person and was instrumental in saving Carnegie Hall. Who knew?
Oh brother - do I ever remember Ward's reaction when I queried him on The Telemann Society recordings! He would probably turn over in his grave at the mention of this on "his" site! I couldn't believe, myself, some of the sounds to emerge from the speakers with the sound of this group! 'nuff said!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Heck148
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: Richard and Theodora Schultze

Post by Heck148 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:40 am

Lance wrote: I couldn't believe, myself, some of the sounds to emerge from the speakers with the sound of this group! 'nuff said!
I vaguely remember this group...and you're right, I remember one disc in which the alto soloist[??] produced a distinctly ugly tone - sounded like some kind of foghorn hooting into an aluminum trash can!!

gawd, what an obnoxious tone....

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 17390
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Richard and Theodora Schultze

Post by Lance » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:01 am

Heck148 wrote:
Lance wrote: I couldn't believe, myself, some of the sounds to emerge from the speakers with the sound of this group! 'nuff said!
I vaguely remember this group...and you're right, I remember one disc in which the alto soloist[??] produced a distinctly ugly tone - sounded like some kind of foghorn hooting into an aluminum trash can!!

gawd, what an obnoxious tone....
That's it! You remember! And you are right. I remember being sooo happy when I was finally able to acquire Handel's Dettingen Te Deum, and was I ever disappointed with that! It was a laugh and half. Some time after, I think it was EMI who issued a magnificent performance of this work. I don't believe any of the Telemann Society recordings are available now. Perhaps we shouldn't blame the Schulzes ... they were merely trying to issue recordings of largely unavailable works with the best forces available to them at the time.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: Richard and Theodora Schultze

Post by Corlyss_D » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:15 am

Heck148 wrote:I vaguely remember this group...and you're right, I remember one disc in which the alto soloist[??] produced a distinctly ugly tone - sounded like some kind of foghorn hooting into an aluminum trash can!!

gawd, what an obnoxious tone....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

premont
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:15 pm

Richard Schultze

Post by premont » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:20 pm

Yes, I remember a Vox LP with Teleman chamber music, nothing special.

Even better I remember a Vox LP with exerpts from Arbeaus Orchesography, played in an awfully stiff manner. Kenneth Weaver (wasn´t he a percussionist) playing one of the dances on a bad sounding harpsichord. Completely dull. And, if I am not mistaken, William Kroll contributing in other dances on a modern violin. Really bad soundscape. And no trace of dancing rhytm. And Theodora Schultze playing a thin-sounding modern oboe. Deserved oblivion.

Why do we often remember things, we ought to forget, better than things, we ought to remember?

CharmNewton
Posts: 1914
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: Richard Schultze

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:04 pm

premont wrote:Yes, I remember a Vox LP with Teleman chamber music, nothing special.

Even better I remember a Vox LP with exerpts from Arbeaus Orchesography, played in an awfully stiff manner. Kenneth Weaver (wasn´t he a percussionist) playing one of the dances on a bad sounding harpsichord. Completely dull. And, if I am not mistaken, William Kroll contributing in other dances on a modern violin. Really bad soundscape. And no trace of dancing rhytm. And Theodora Schultze playing a thin-sounding modern oboe. Deserved oblivion.
I've never heard or seen any of these discs. I feel like I'm missing something important. :D
premont wrote: Why do we often remember things, we ought to forget, better than things, we ought to remember?
It's probably a topic for the other board, but I'm sure it has something to do with liberals. :D

John

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Post by Werner » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:08 pm

or conservatives?
Werner Isler

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests