Heinrich Schlusnus - great German baritone

Lance
Site Administrator

Heinrich Schlusnus - great German baritone

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:29 pm

Heinrich Schlusnus [1888-1952] is a name we don't hear about very much any more though there are a few CD compilations still floating around. Schlusnus was probably the most famous German baritone just prior to the emergence of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

I well remember a set of five American Decca LPs [always gritty pressings!] that contained some of the best German lieder singing recorded long before Fischer-Dieskau's recordings began to be released. Indeed, these five Schlusnus discs should be issued in one of Universal/Decca's budget boxes, which could include many of the opera arias he recorded as well; unfortunately, the most famous arias (Italian, French, etc.) are frequently sung in the German language, which is sometimes a turnoff to vocal aficianados.

I am preparing a radio tribute to Schlusnus, and the fact is that there is NOT that much biographical information to be found about the man, even after careful searching of Internet sites. He really does seem to be forgotten except by the avid collector.

Do any of my fellow collectors have as I a regard for Schlusnus as yours truly? There were many Heliodor/DGG recordings issued of his voice; CD reissues appear on DG, Decca-London, Preiser, Nimbus, Dutton, etc.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

violinland
Violin Historian

Re: Heinrich Schlusnus - great German baritone

Post by violinland » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:42 am

Lance wrote:Heinrich Schlusnus [1888-1952] is a name we don't hear about very much any more though there are a few CD compilations still floating around. Schlusnus was probably the most famous German baritone just prior to the emergence of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.
You know I have a theory that we all relate to the decade we are born in. I was born in the early 30's and find that I am happiest with artists from that time and recordings made during that decade. My friends laugh at this, especially those who do not seem to have a time anchor.

I love the young Menuhin, Huberman, Kriesler. Casals, Ivagun, Supervis etc, and guess who - Schlusnus.

I have been told many times by my friends that all my favourite singers and violinists are underground.

How rude of them?

CHENISTON K ROLAND O.L.
(Violin Historian)
http://www.violinland.com
Author, Broadcaster, Lecturer and Editor of the Violin Times
Member of the Liverpool Medical Institution
VIOLIN EDITOR CMG

Private contact on this board violinland@talktalk.net
SKYPE me as violinlands,"You know you want to"

markhedm

Post by markhedm » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:10 am

I have heard Schlusnus in a few songs from a German lieder compilation from the early recording era, but the poor quality of the recordings of this era is a turnoff for me, and I am not drawn to this period. I listened to Fischer-Dieskau in my college days, so I am used to his manner of singing. On the other hand, the current generation growing up does not seem as knowledgeable about Fischer-Dieskau, so there probably is some truth to the thought that different generations like different music.

Mark H.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:32 am

I kind of go along with Cheniston's theory on favouring those artists from our earliest life. On the other hand, I have a vital interest in many of today's finest performing artists as well. But Mark's comment about young people not being aware of Fischer-Dieskau's work is quite shocking, but I believe it's true, too. Lieder singing and art-song recitals seem to be a thing of the past. Concert-goers don't seem to have the patience for such such concerts; I believe they are missing out on some wonderful music that may help to put their lives on a more even keel. People change, times change and it's not always for the best.

I was listening to Schlusnus in some of his earliest acoustic recordings from 1919-1924, which have been transferred via Nimbus's "Ambisonic" process, which seemingly gives a little more "space" to the recordings with less bothersome 78-rpm whirring noise. While their process may be controversial to dyed-in-the-wool 78-rpm collectors, I am not offended by it, and the voice seems very well remastered when compared to original 78s. The "Ambisonic" process seems to work a bit better with regard to the early electrical recording process.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]