Maria Yudina's Beethoven Concertos 4 & 5

Lance
Site Administrator

Maria Yudina's Beethoven Concertos 4 & 5

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:00 am

Since her death in 1970 at the age of 71, the celebrated Russian pianist, Maria Yudina has developed into a cult figure, known now by more people than when she was alive. Her recordings are eagerly sought. Her personal story is a somewhat tragic one given the politics of Russia during her lifetime. Oppression, always oppresion, felt by Yudina, like so many others.

Vista Vera is apparently a Russian-based company who has taken on the task of issuing a series of Yudina's recordings—there are already 10 volumes—taken from original masters. Many of Yudina's recordings have been reissued by various labels in sometimes less than acceptable sound. Her art can be heard on these CD labels: Aquarius, Aristotipia, Arlecchino, Classound, Dante, Harmonia Mundi, Jimmy Classics, Melodiya, Russian Compact Disc, Russian Disc, Russian Masters, SMC, Solyd, and a few others. These new reissued by Vista Vera seem to be very well remastered, despite some inherent flaws here and there.

The two concerti on the present disc (Volume 7, VVCD0-00075, 72:20, ADD) offers Beethoven's Concertos Nos. 4 and 5, the first recorded in 1948 with the Leningrad Symphony Orchestra under Kurt Sanderling; No. 5 ("Emperor"), recorded in 1950 (live) with the USSR State Radio Symphony Orchestra under Nathan Rakhlin.

The Fourth Concerto offers some of the finest, most controlled and expressive playing by Yudina I have ever heard in any of her recordings, with some of the loveliest tone qualities I have heard from this artist as well. The first- and third-movement cadenzas are unidentified, sounding contemporary, but I do not believe I have ever heard these cadenzas previously. Be aware that music is missing from the first movement [bars 212-214], but it goes by almost unnoticed. Further, there is some wow, flutter and some very slight pitch changes within the original source, but it, too, has been dealt with by the Russian engineers in an acceptable fashion. The Leningrad Philharmonic has always been one of the great orchestras of the world, especially under Evgeny Mravinsky, but here Sanderling offers a sterling accompaniment. I am happy, indeed, to have been able to hear this performance and call it one of Yudina's finest recordings.

More news later on the "Emperor" when I've had an occasion to spend time with it.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

dirkronk

Post by dirkronk » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Thanks for posting this, Lance. My admiration for Yudina has continued to grow, but so has my frustration in the limited amount of repertoire available on disc (at least that I can afford). So the news of this new series is good, indeed. And this particular concerto pairing may become a must-buy for me.

Cheers,

Dirk