Fischer-Dieskau's new 2-CD/1-DVD birthday set

Lance
Site Administrator

Fischer-Dieskau's new 2-CD/1-DVD birthday set

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:43 am

Imagine, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau - EIGHTY (80) years old! That makes ME feel so much older! What a legacy this man has on- and off records! The most recorded baritone in the world. It doesn't surprise me with a voice like that, a voice that could have lasted so long - and musicianship of the first caliber. A rare vocal artist among many is Mr. Fischer-Dieskau.

Deutsche Grammophon's new "birthday-priced" (i.e. very low priced set commemorating his birthday is truly a gift to his fans. There nary a way one could do justice to a singer who has committed so much to LPs and CDs over his long career to illustrate it on just two CDs. But the management at DGG has done a great job in giving us bits and pieces in an extraordinary document to one of the world's greatest singers.

Here we have two CDs with songs and opera arias in recordings made from the beginning of his career with pianists Barenboim, Demus, Engel, Klust, Gerald Moore, Richter, Sawallisch, and Weber, and conductors Böhm, Fricsay, Gerdes, Jochum, Ristenpart, and Keilberth. Some selections appear on CD for the first time.

THE BIG TREAT, however, is the DVD [28'37"] of Fischer-Dieskau appearing in an all-Schubert recital with pianist Sviatoslav Richter, in mono only, as taped in 1978 in the Napoleon Room of Schloss Ismaning. I'm personally not into collecting DVDs (though it is most tempting by now!) but this is a DVD I will be viewing very soon with great anticipation.

The 3-piece, well documented set sells for around $15 by most retailers. It's probably the best bargain you will find this year.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Saulsmusic

Post by Saulsmusic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau Sings Elijah very well!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:53 pm

Saulsmusic wrote:Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau Sings Elijah very well!
I have an old "Vox Box" [SVBX 5208, stereo, six sides] recording, the performance of which has not been transferred to CD as far as I know ... it's with the Liederkranz Böblingen and the Stuttgart Philharmonic under Roland Bader's direction. The soloists include Ursula Buckel, Margarethe Bence, Hans Ulrich Mielsch, Eduard Wollitz, Herrad Wehrung, and Hanna Auberbacher. It remains one of the most inspiring performances I've ever heard, and I have quite a few recordings of the entire oratorio. Everything about Elijah is extraordinary, but the choral parts ... like expiring and going to the pearly white gates.

I'd love to know where this was recorded ... the acoustics are astounding. Do you know this recording?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Lance wrote:Ursula Buckel, Margarethe Bence
I have them on a Urania recording of Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice. I found it just last week moving stuff into the music room.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Saulsmusic

Post by Saulsmusic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:23 pm

No I dont have this recording,but I do have the EMI CLASSICS recording with Gwyneth Jones,Janet Baker,Nicolai Gedda,Dietrich F.D and Rafael Fruhbeck De Burgos conducting in the 'Kingsway hall' London.

A very beautiful and powerful performance,very powerful conducting and great awe producing high level singing.

You should get your hands on this cd if you dont have it!

markhedm

Post by markhedm » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:32 pm

I am a big fan of Fischer-Dieskau. I have recently thoroughly read his biography by Neunzig, and the book by Whitton called Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau the Mastersinger which traverses his recordings and performances. But the most intelligent comments on him are on the Yahoo Group on him, from very knowledgeable fans.
Fischer-Dieskau is not only the most recorded baritone in the world, but also the most recorded classical singer, and the most recorded classical soloist, including instrumentalists.
Yes, it makes feel older too that he is 80. I got to know his recordings when I was in college in the mid-70s. The college music library had many of his recordings, and I could listen to them for free, when I was a music student there.
Yes, I agree he was a great musician and artist, with a profound intelligence that he brought to his interpretations.
I've been following all of the new releases this year of Fischer-Dieskau, but unfortunately don't have the money to buy them all, one could broke collecting his recordings. But the $15 does sound like a good price.
There have not been many videos of Fischer-Dieskau available in the U.S. in the past. I would be interested in seeing this 1978 DVD. The only Fischer-Dieskau recital I ever attended was that year 1978 in Philadelphia, when he sang an all-Schubert program with Jorg Demus accompanying.
I think he did his best singing from earlier than that though. I think his voice started to decline about that time, and I lost interest in his career for some time until a few years ago, when I relistened to my DFD collection and read about him on the Internet.
I enjoy him best singing Schubert, Schumann, and Wolf, and he has written books on each of these composers. I think he has an affinity for them.
He is a controversial singer, though, and there is much difference of opinion about him.
I have the Elijah recording with Fischer-Dieskau, and he is especially good on the aria "It is Enough, " and is very moving at the ending "It is enough, Lord, take away my life, for I am no better than my fathers, now let me die." He was consistently convincing in portraying loneliness, melancholy, and the death wish, and was peculiarly revelatory on the mysterious, profound, and philosophical. Such gifts are truly rare among musicians, and maybe even more so among singers, and though there might have been singers with greater vocal powers, few have equaled him in his interpretative powers.

Mark H.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:46 am

He sings Elijah in English, then?
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

markhedm

Post by markhedm » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:17 pm

Yes, Fischer-Dieskau sang Elijah in English. Other recordings that he sang in English: Britten's War Requiem and his Songs of William Blake, songs of Charles Ives, Barber's Dover Beach, some of Haydn's songs.

Mark H.

Bengti

What a rewarding career...

Post by Bengti » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:05 am

Fischer-Dieskau, globally admired master artist, alive and kicking at 80, still able to perform.

Robin Cook, somewhat admired, dead as a dodo at 59...

clearly a muscial path to greatness is much more rewarding.

[even Edward Heath survived politics to return to conducting...]

BT