Pianist Daniel Wayenberg: Who's got his discs?

Lance
Site Administrator

Pianist Daniel Wayenberg: Who's got his discs?

Post by Lance » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:31 pm

I've been seeking recordings by the French pianist, Daniel Wayenberg. French EMI issued (and deleted recently, to my regret) a 2-disc "Rarissime" budget-priced recording. You don't hear about the pianist too much, but he recorded an LP of Brahms music (which I saw in eBay). Nickson Records recently released his debut recording with Mitropoulos conducting the NYP (live 1953) of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (stunning though unusually "personal" performance by the pianist).

I have a number of recordings, some private and some commercial. This is what I have:
  • Brilliant 92219 [2 CDs] - "The Classical Clarinet" with de Graff, clarinetist.
  • Private 0117 - Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini w/Ancerl/Toronto SO.
  • Mastertone 0451 - Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue, Three Preludes, etc. w/saxophone quartet.
  • Q-Disc 97014 - Ravel: Piano Concerto for Left-Hand w/Concertgebouw/Haitink.
  • Nickson 07200502 - Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 w/NYP, Mitropoulos.
  • EMI 69308 - Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue; Concerto in F, G. Pretre, conducting.
I want to prepare a radio tribute to Mr. Wayenberg but need some of his other solo piano recordings. Can anybody help? If so, please contact me by private message.

Many thanks.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Jppiano

Wayanberg

Post by Jppiano » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi, Lance

I have a set of Ravel solo piano music and a cassette tape of what I believe is a commercial recrding of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes. Will check for other things....

Joe

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Wayanberg

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Jppiano wrote:Hi, Lance

I have a set of Ravel solo piano music and a cassette tape of what I believe is a commercial recrding of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes. Will check for other things....

Joe
This is GREAT news. Please let me know if you find anything else! Appreciate it.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

PJME

Wayenberg

Post by PJME » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:00 am

I'm surprised to read that Wayenbergh is a French pianist! He is Dutch, but lives (lived???) most of his life in Paris. The EMI Rarissime discs are still available in Europe (see Kelkoo or Amazon, or Fnac).
I have fond memories of him performing André Jolivet's pianoconcerto in Amsterdam (with the Concertgebouw Orchestra / Bernard Haitink!). He is a talented composer aswell. I witnessed the premiere performance of his "concerto pour 3 pianos et orchestre " and the Symphonie "Capella" (1973).
His performance of Gershwin's Rhapsody in blue is a classic.
Peter