Speaker question: Please help!

12tone

Speaker question: Please help!

Post by 12tone » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:03 pm

I've had a couple of mission bookshelf speakers on an entertainment center for awhile now -- one is on the left and one is on the right of a 32 inch tv. They're sitting about 3-4 inches from the tv itself.

I found my instruction book about the speakers and it gives a whole lot of technical information. It says that I should 'Site conventional speakers and subwoofers at least 0.5m away from tv sets..." ... and it goes on. I don't have a subwoofer so that doesn't matter.

Will I have already wreaked or could I potentially damage my speakers by having them that close to my tv set?

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:39 am

12tone, it's actually the reverse. The magnets in your speakers can have an adverse effect on the colour integration of your TV screen. So, if the screen seems OK then leave it as it is.

However, if you notice any fading or distortion of colours on your TV screen,especially near the corners, then the speakers are too close.

If this has happened then your screen needs to be degaussed. Most modern TVs have the facility to do this via the remote control using the menu system.

I hope this helps