Vienna Philharmonic's Education Program

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Vienna Philharmonic's Education Program

Post by Belle » Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 am

It certainly looks impressive! Imagine being a school student or young music student and having access to this - one of the world's great orchestras:

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/lan ... es#gabetta

maestrob

Re: Vienna Philharmonic's Education Program

Post by maestrob » Wed May 16, 2018 11:40 am

Belle wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 am
It certainly looks impressive! Imagine being a school student or young music student and having access to this - one of the world's great orchestras:

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/lan ... es#gabetta
Quite wonderful, Belle, and an example for orchestras everywhere. The key to young people being involved in music is exposure! When I was young and discovered that I loved classical music, my mother took me to the Robin Hood Dell (summer home for the Philadelphia Orchestra) at the tender age of 13, and our next door neighbor, who was in charge of our local concert series, invited me to a front row seat to hear and watch Guiomar Novaes at the even younger age of 11! Both performances bowled me over, and later on in HIgh School, my music teacher (who had also taught Anna Moffo) offered me free tickets to afternoon concerts with the Philadelphia Orchestra. All of that exposure made me determined to become a conductor and build a library of recorded music, which has kept me going through thick and thin.

Belle

Re: Vienna Philharmonic's Education Program

Post by Belle » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

That's a very moving story; thank you for sharing it. I also think love of music has to do with temperament as much as exposure.

Tonight we watched a game show just before the news: "Millionaire Hot Seat". One of the questions (they get 4 possible answers from which to choose) asked what instrument was played by Thelonious Monk. The person wrongly answered "saxophone"!! This stimulated my long-forgotten memory (strange how that works!!). I told my husband, "I can remember going through the record collection of our parents' best friend; he was a Thelonious Monk enthusiast". My husband asked, "when did you do this?" I told him I cannot have been more than 9 years old; our parents went there for parties and at that age I went through his collection of LPs and discovered his interest in Thelonious Monk, which I later discussed with my mother. So, our early experiences are key (pardon the pun). What a bore I must have been to my friends of the same age!!!