Tosca PBS Tonight

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 am

A very well done Tosca from the Met-a beautiful production! Regards, Len

Image

maestrob
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:11 am

Yes, we'll be watching! Thanks for the heads-up!

Have you heard Yoncheva's new Verdi disc?

lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am

Brian no but we have enjoyed her at the Met. Len

maestrob
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Wow! Did no one else watch this?

I have good news and bad news. First the good news.

The conducting and preparation by the conductor was absolutely first-rate, and he deserved his ovation. The production and sets are stunning in every detail. The Scarpia, Lucic, deserves a medal for handling his tough role with vocal ease and making his character believeable. The acting from all three principals was outstanding as well.

Sadly, the Bulgarian soprano Sonya Yoncheva and the Italian tenor Grigolo were uneven vocally, and not up to the vocal demands of their roles. Vibrato was often uneven, and Yoncheva's high C in the act III duet was truly ugly and forced. All this was forgiven by the audience, because the drama came across so well, so perhaps I'm being a bit too unforgiving here. Nevertheless, I can't get Callas or Leontyne Price and Placido Domingo out of my ears: these two singers certainly did not live up to that standard. The supporting cast was quite good.

lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 am

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm
Sadly, the Bulgarian soprano Sonya Yoncheva and the Italian tenor Grigolo were uneven vocally, and not up to the vocal demands of their roles.
Brian surprised at your reaction--we thought both of them were very good. We don't expect every tenor at the Met to match what Domingo achieved--same for a L Price. Regards, Len

maestrob
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:08 am
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:22 pm
Sadly, the Bulgarian soprano Sonya Yoncheva and the Italian tenor Grigolo were uneven vocally, and not up to the vocal demands of their roles.
Brian surprised at your reaction--we thought both of them were very good. We don't expect every tenor at the Met to match what Domingo achieved--same for a L Price. Regards, Len
Yes, Len, I was just as unhappy to post what I wrote, because the production was well-received by the audience. As it is, though, I'll continue to call 'em as I see 'em. :wink:

lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am
As it is, though, I'll continue to call 'em as I see 'em. 😉
Brian definitely--sometimes I find they sound better live at the Met than when you hear them on TV. Regards, Len

maestrob
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am
As it is, though, I'll continue to call 'em as I see 'em. 😉
Brian definitely--sometimes I find they sound better live at the Met than when you hear them on TV. Regards, Len
Yes, of course, but my ears know how to compensate for that effect. Remember, I brought my singers into the recording studio for years. In fact, smaller voices sound BETTER on microphone than in the house sometimes.

lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am

Yes, of course, but my ears know how to compensate for that effect. Remember, I brought my singers into the recording studio for years. In fact, smaller voices sound BETTER on microphone than in the house sometimes.
Brian thanks-there are so many factors involved-later on in the Toscas Netrebko was moved in and got rave reviews. Regards, Len

maestrob
Posts: 5311
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 pm
maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 am

Yes, of course, but my ears know how to compensate for that effect. Remember, I brought my singers into the recording studio for years. In fact, smaller voices sound BETTER on microphone than in the house sometimes.
Brian thanks-there are so many factors involved-later on in the Toscas Netrebko was moved in and got rave reviews. Regards, Len
Wow! I'll bet she did! Netrebko is a star, for sure! A great singer. she's perfect for Tosca right now.

lennygoran
Posts: 13618
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Tosca PBS Tonight

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:43 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Wow! I'll bet she did! Netrebko is a star, for sure! A great singer
Brian one of our favorites! Regards, Len

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests