Pianist Herbert Schuch plays Schumann PC live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pianist Herbert Schuch plays Schumann PC live

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Schuch a pianist I follow since being impressed with his debut Oehms cd of Schumann and Ravel. Here a recent enthusiastic live performance of the Schumann in which he manages to find something personal and original to say without seeming to be trying too hard to do so:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2450068 ( About 17:30 in )

The Schumann is apparently not highly regarded by all CM fans, but one of my sine qua non.

Encore : Liszt , " La Campanella ".

Avec Belgian National Orchestra dirigé par Alexander Shelley

Enregistré le 14 décembre 2018 à la Salle Henry Leboeuf de BOZAR

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Pianist Herbert Schuch plays Schumann PC live

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Oh, I think the Schumann Piano Concerto is highly regarded among classical music lovers, though the Grieg may have a bit more prominence among the lesser informed. I love the Schumann and have so many recordings of the work that I am embarrassed to say how many! Schumann's other piano/orchestral works are also delightful. Mme. Wieck-Schumann made quite a career for herself performing her husband's piano concerto. Would I loved to have had a recording of THAT! :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Re: Pianist Herbert Schuch plays Schumann PC live

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:01 pm

My fav probably still is my imprint, Rudolf Serkin's 1956 with Ormandy/PO, on my Columbia lp paired with the Strauss " Burlesque.". But, this Schuch live was great. IMHO, a very difficult work to bring off well.You may also wish to hear Emil Von Sauer / Mengleberg /RCO 1940 on Arbiter.