Pianist Bruce Hungerford on To Tell The Truth

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donald Isler

Pianist Bruce Hungerford on To Tell The Truth

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:32 am

Although this is not strictly about classical music I post this here rather than on the Pub because it's about a classical music personality.

The Australian pianist, Bruce Hungerford (1922-1977), my teacher, didn't seem to belong to the era in which he lived. He was interested in classical music (obviously), ancient Egyptian art (about which he lectured) and other things of intellectual interest. He had no interest in popular culture and didn't own a television.

Thus, I was shocked to learn, just a few weeks ago, that he had appeared on this 1973 episode of To Tell the Truth. He is one of the contestants in the second half of the program (beginning at 18:44), one of three men claiming to be the anthropologist, John Greenway, a scholar who studies the aborigines.

It was quite amazing to see him walk and talk, hear his voice, and see his characteristic expressions, and gestures after all these years..

https://youtu.be/i-g07GwASmQ?t=1120
Donald Isler

Belle

Re: Pianist Bruce Hungerford on To Tell The Truth

Post by Belle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 am

I've often wondered what it's like for relatives of a deceased person to watch and/or hear them in a film, a concert, an interview/program or recording. It's also somewhat ironic to learn that Bruce Hungerford was killed in an auto accident in the USA on 26th January - which is actually Australia Day. It took my mind right back to that time - my first son would have been exactly 6 months old.

This is quite impressive, especially the last movement with its clarity of expression between left and right hand: he makes quite a drama of it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-FbWvpyWKU

barney

Post by barney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Yes, it must be a bit unnerving for you.
I really liked the show, actually - a good idea. Sorry it's not around now.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Shocked, yes, but not unnerved. Rather, I was delighted! It was as if he came back from the past for a visit.
Donald Isler

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:36 am

Loved it … and a nice plug for Vanguard Records! A great pity he wasn't able to finish the Beethoven sonata project.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]