Posting Pictures

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Haydnseek

Posting Pictures

Post by Haydnseek » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am

If posting pictures is slowing the forum down significantly for some can the software be set to not allow images at all? I enjoy adding them but they aren't necessary and I won't miss them very much. And this would eliminate abuse of this feature.

How do the rest of you feel about it?
"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:42 pm

It's the big avatars and fatuous signatures that go with them that irritate me.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Re: Posting Pictures

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Haydnseek wrote:If posting pictures is slowing the forum down significantly for some can the software be set to not allow images at all?
No. We thought of that too and I looked in vain for such a toggle in the master configuration page.

We never figured out how to activate the avatar feature, so right now it is not operational.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Haydnseek

Post by Haydnseek » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Haydnseek wrote:If posting pictures is slowing the forum down significantly for some can the software be set to not allow images at all?
No. We thought of that too and I looked in vain for such a toggle in the master configuration page.

We never figured out how to activate the avatar feature, so right now it is not operational.
I looked at the Support pages on the website of your software provider and it appears you can turn off HTML altogether or you can specify which HTML tags are permitted. It would be easier if you could just specify which are not permitted but even so, there aren't that many HTML tags used in a forum so I think it might be done without too much trouble.
"The law isn't justice. It's a very imperfect mechanism. If you press exactly the right buttons and are also lucky, justice may show up in the answer. A mechanism is all the law was ever intended to be." - Raymond Chandler

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Please try just disabling images (Img) first, as URLs are often used to good effect to find rare CDs and info.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Haydnseek wrote:It would be easier if you could just specify which are not permitted but even so, there aren't that many HTML tags used in a forum so I think it might be done without too much trouble.
Well, we don't want to prohibit pictures altogether unless absolutely necessary. We'd just like for people to be judicious about their use. That pretty much means don't include them in every freakin' post; delete them when quoting a message with pitures; and, especially for our members with high post counts, don't use them in your signatures. The latter becomes a significant problem because when one changes one's signature, every bleepin' post, including all those in the archives, is automattically updated to show the new signature.

That's all we're asking.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form