What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Fergus

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:26 am

Seán wrote:.... it is difficult to listen to two hours of music without the text....
What works for me Seán in that situation is to listen to the vocals as an independent musical line....treat the voice as another instrument and you will be amazed how well Mozart wove the whole seperate threads together.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 am

bombasticDarren wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised Fergus. I tend to forget how fine Mozart's wind concertos are - these performances have made me sit up and take note once again :)
I am delighted to read that report Darren. As you know Mozart had a great feel for the woodwinds and wrote some really beautiful music for those instruments. These recordings have obviously impressed you then!

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:32 am

josé echenique wrote: I don´t know yet Fergus, since it will be released in February, but it´s already been ordered of course!
But you can´t help admiring Abbado for keeping up with the times. He knows it´s just not possible to keep performing Baroque Music as Klemperer and I Musici did 50 years ago.
A bit of a boo boo there on my part José :oops: :oops:

In my excitement to find out about that set I never checked the status on it. I really look forward to reading your views on that recording when you eventually get it :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 am

Tchaikovsky – The Nutcracker....

....prompted by a recent post by Seán :D

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Caldara - Overture to "San Pietro in Cesarea" (Mallon/Naxos)
Schutz - St. Matthew Passion (Kurz/Point)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Fergus wrote:
josé echenique wrote: I don´t know yet Fergus, since it will be released in February, but it´s already been ordered of course!
But you can´t help admiring Abbado for keeping up with the times. He knows it´s just not possible to keep performing Baroque Music as Klemperer and I Musici did 50 years ago.
A bit of a boo boo there on my part José :oops: :oops:

In my excitement to find out about that set I never checked the status on it. I really look forward to reading your views on that recording when you eventually get it :D
In fact it was MY mistake Fergus, because I shouldn´t have posted it on "What are you listening today" when it has not even been released, but in the excitement I got carried away :oops:
But I will certainly let you know how it is as soon as it arrives.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 pm

josé echenique wrote:In fact it was MY mistake Fergus, because I shouldn´t have posted it on "What are you listening today" when it has not even been released, but in the excitement I got carried away :oops:
But I will certainly let you know how it is as soon as it arrives.
I am not surprised that we both got carried away with the excitement of that one José.... I will so look forward to a report on it when it does eventually land :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 Klemperer....

No. 3 was a strong, powerful performance and I was particularly impressed with the slow movement which I found was full of powerful emotion and depth of feeling.
No. 4 was also impressive!

mcq

Post by mcq » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:58 pm

josé echenique wrote:
Fergus wrote:
josé echenique wrote:Image

Who says old dogs can´t learn new tricks?
Well, well, well....that is certainly intruiging!!! How does it sound José?
I don´t know yet Fergus, since it will be released in February, but it´s already been ordered of course!
I have these performances on DVD and they are quite simply fantastic. Chamber-sized band of modern instruments with period manners. Warm-hearted, fresh and vibrant performances that fully deserve a separate release on CD (where they will hopefully receive a wider audience).

mcq

Post by mcq » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Listening today to some wonderful work by the Master, Jean-Philippe Rameau, in the form of Minkowski's magnificent recording of Hippolyte et Aricie (available on DG Archiv) and Noelle Spieth's elegant performances of a selection of his keyboard works (the best recording I've heard of this repertoire since Blandine Rannou's masterly traversal on Zig-Zag) on the Eloquentia label.

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:21 pm

Fergus wrote:Tchaikovsky – The Nutcracker....

....prompted by a recent post by Seán :D
At last, I managed to do something right. 8)
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Mozart - Symphony No.38 'Prague' (Roger Norrington, London Classical Players, Virgin Veritas) below

Schubert - Piano Sonata D.960 (Murray Perahia, Sony Classical)

Szymanowski - Stabat Mater (Elzbieta Szmytka/Florence Quivar/John Connell/Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Fergus wrote:Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 Klemperer....

No. 3 was a strong, powerful performance and I was particularly impressed with the slow movement which I found was full of powerful emotion and depth of feeling.
No. 4 was also impressive!
Glad you're enjoying those performances - I might have to give them another spin again soon :D

I hope you enjoy the piano concertos equally - I think they are the jewel of that particular boxed set :)

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphonies 41, 1, F, 4, 5, 6, 55 & 7

Prague Chamber Orchestra
Charles Mackerras - conducting.

This is a very good set, it is hugely enjoyable and is well worth the outlay of €20.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:
Fergus wrote:Image
I love the Franck VS - I have Grumiaux/Hajdu recording of it and play it often :D
Those are three very good works on that disc and it is a recording that I have had for a long time and one that I return to and enjoy often.
It's now nestled in my Amazon basket ready for payday Fergus :lol:
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm

mcq wrote:I have these performances on DVD and they are quite simply fantastic. Chamber-sized band of modern instruments with period manners. Warm-hearted, fresh and vibrant performances that fully deserve a separate release on CD (where they will hopefully receive a wider audience).
That is excellent news Paul....both José and I are very happy indeed to read that report 8)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Seán wrote:At last, I managed to do something right. 8)
One just never gets the credit one deserves.....does one :roll: :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:56 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Image
That is making its way to me as we speak 8)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm

bombasticDarren wrote: Glad you're enjoying those performances - I might have to give them another spin again soon :D

I hope you enjoy the piano concertos equally - I think they are the jewel of that particular boxed set :)
I had no preconceived ideas about this box set other than the fact that I think highly of Klemperer and so far I have not been disappointed. The real test is yet to come for me, however with 5, 6, 7 & 9 :D

I am indeed looking forward to the piano concertos as well.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:01 pm

bombasticDarren wrote: It's now nestled in my Amazon basket ready for payday Fergus :lol:
It is worth every one of your no doubt hard earned pennies Darren :wink:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:02 pm

I am currently listening to The English Baroque Soloists in all six of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos at Proms 2010 on BBC Radio 3.

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Fergus wrote:I am currently listening to The English Baroque Soloists in all six of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos at Proms 2010 on BBC Radio 3.
I was there! Queue was a nightmare :( :wink:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:06 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:
Fergus wrote:I am currently listening to The English Baroque Soloists in all six of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos at Proms 2010 on BBC Radio 3.
I was there! Queue was a nightmare :( :wink:
I rember you saying that all right Darren....so far I am really enjoying it :D

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Seán wrote:Image

This is a very good set, it is hugely enjoyable and is well worth the outlay of €20.

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Image
That is making its way to me as we speak 8)
If it's all as good as the No.38 I am listening to right now, you're in for a treat Fergus :)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Brahms - Serenade No.2 (Charles Mackerras, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Telarc)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:53 pm

bombasticDarren wrote: Image
I have the Mackerras versions of the Brahms symphonies 1-4 and it was the first cycle that really made sense of Brahms for me so that one looks quite appealing Darren.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:35 pm

This set has no weak performances, but some of them are right at the top. These include Symphonies 2, 3, 8 and 9. I expected Solti's 9th to be very good as along with Symphonies 1 and 5, it represents the Mahler symphonies he performed most often in Chicago. But I was moved by his performances of 8 and 9, and moving is not a word I would often use to describe Solti recordings. The 8th in particular is very beautifully conducted and shaped. I don't believe Solti ever performed this work again in Chicago after he recorded it, which is unfortunate.

I've been getting into his recording of the 3rd and this is a party record if there ever was one. The CSO is in absolutely top form and Sir Georg just lets them play. The recording captures much detail that one never hears in other recordings (except perhaps Levine's and Martinon's, the latter their first performance of this music).

This one is meant to be heard loud.

John

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:39 pm

CharmNewton wrote:Image

This set has no weak performances, but some of them are right at the top. These include Symphonies 2, 3, 8 and 9. I expected Solti's 9th to be very good as along with Symphonies 1 and 5, it represents the Mahler symphonies he performed most often in Chicago. But I was moved by his performances of 8 and 9, and moving is not a word I would often use to describe Solti recordings. The 8th in particular is very beautifully conducted and shaped. I don't believe Solti ever performed this work again in Chicago after he recorded it, which is unfortunate.

I've been getting into his recording of the 3rd and this is a party record if there ever was one. The CSO is in absolutely top form and Sir Georg just lets them play. The recording captures much detail that one never hears in other recordings (except perhaps Levine's and Martinon's, the latter their first performance of this music).

John
Solti was my Mahler god as a young fellow learning about classical music. My very first classical music concert was Solti and Chicago doing Mahler 7 in my home town of Decatur, IL. It was recorded just after that in Urbana at the University of Illinois. So it especially has a soft spot in my heart. A very fine all around cycle.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Beethoven Piano Concerto # 5 and Choral Fantasy

Bronfman, Zinman Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra

Dirt cheap and fabulous on Arte Nova 825850
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:42 pm

I already have a few of the symphonies from that collection and the rest are on my wish list. If I can get a copy of the entire set at a reasonable price I'll snap it up. I really like almost all of Solti's Mahler work whether it's with the CSO, LSO or the RCO, it's all wonderful.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Donaldopato wrote:

John
Solti was my Mahler god as a young fellow learning about classical music. My very first classical music concert was Solti and Chicago doing Mahler 7 in my home town of Decatur, IL. It was recorded just after that in Urbana at the University of Illinois. So it especially has a soft spot in my heart. A very fine all around cycle.
You have risen even higher in my estimation of you Don. :wink:
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Fergus wrote:
I have the Mackerras versions of the Brahms symphonies 1-4 and it was the first cycle that really made sense of Brahms for me so that one looks quite appealing Darren.
Sir Charles was a wonderful musicmaker so I wonder would it work for me too? :?
Seán

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:

John
You have risen even higher in my estimation of you Don. :wink:
Go raibh maith agat Seán.

(did I say that right?)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:17 pm

mcq wrote:
josé echenique wrote:
Fergus wrote:

I don´t know yet Fergus, since it will be released in February, but it´s already been ordered of course!
I have these performances on DVD and they are quite simply fantastic. Chamber-sized band of modern instruments with period manners. Warm-hearted, fresh and vibrant performances that fully deserve a separate release on CD (where they will hopefully receive a wider audience).
I knew of the dvds but so far they are available only in PAL.
But are you sure they are modern instruments? I would be very surprised. The Mozart Orchestra so far has only recorded in period instruments, Pergolesi and Mozart, and Giuliano Carmignola has become the new dandy of period violinists.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Seán wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Of course it will work for you Sean, just listen to the fresh, joyful Serenades without preconceptions, the first in particular is very attractive. I like them so much that I have quite a few versions. For the first serenade my all-time favorite is Abbado´s with the BPO, and he has another newer excellent version with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra. I also love the special Brahmsian sound of the Gewandhaus Orchestra under Kurt Masur. Mackerras too is excellent and very well recorded too.

mcq

Post by mcq » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:56 pm

josé echenique wrote:
mcq wrote:
josé echenique wrote:
Fergus wrote:

I knew of the dvds but so far they are available only in PAL.
But are you sure they are modern instruments? I would be very surprised. The Mozart Orchestra so far has only recorded in period instruments, Pergolesi and Mozart, and Giuliano Carmignola has become the new dandy of period violinists.
As far as I'm aware, most of the musicians play modern instruments. There are exceptions: violas de gamba make an appearance in Concerto 6, Jacques Zoon plays a wooden flute in Concerto 5 and Carmignola uses a baroque bow. (He's also the only one that doesn't use a chin rest.) However, I believe the strings used are modern steel ones. The complete performance is on YouTube so please let me know if I'm mistaken. It's still great music-making.

bricon

Post by bricon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Seán wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

This Naxos CD is one of my favourite CMG recommendations of 2010. The Seventh was recorded in 1936 and has been beautifully restored, it's a must for all lovers of Beethoven's Seventh.
Does it differ significantly from the box set Seán?
I prefer this version to the later one.
My two favorite Toscanini Beethoven recordings are both with orchestras other than the NBCSO. One is this seventh with the NY Phil. The other is the sixth with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Both strike me as more flexible in approach and phrasing than his later NBC recordings, which are often too rigid and choppy-sounding for me.

This arrived in the mail today. I'm listening to it tonight. The performances are live ones from April of 1953:
Last edited by Barry on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Bernstein Symphony Edition:

William Schuman Symphonies # 3, 5 and 8

Bernstein NYP

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Donaldopato wrote:Solti was my Mahler god as a young fellow learning about classical music. My very first classical music concert was Solti and Chicago doing Mahler 7 in my home town of Decatur, IL. It was recorded just after that in Urbana at the University of Illinois. So it especially has a soft spot in my heart. A very fine all around cycle.
The concerts were very tough tickets in Chicago. I couldn't get one. :(

The Finale must have been special live.

John

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 am

Seán wrote:
....If I can get a copy of the entire set at a reasonable price I'll snap it up...
That cycle should be in every (Mahler) collection :wink:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:14 am

Seán wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Possibly so Seán....what worked for me in relation to the symphonies was the fact that he used a chamber orchestra which, due to the lighter textures that subsequently ensued, made the musical lines easier for me to appreciate.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 am

Donaldopato wrote: Go raibh maith agat Seán.

(did I say that right?)
Spoken (written) like a true native....the entire Irish contingent is highly impressed Don :D

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:18 am

Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Fergus wrote:
Possibly so Seán....what worked for me in relation to the symphonies was the fact that he used a chamber orchestra which, due to the lighter textures that subsequently ensued, made the musical lines easier for me to appreciate.
I was about to post pretty much the same sentiments :lol:

Mackerras' Brahms is a wonderful thing - I took a whle to gel with Brahms and his orchestral works, and I can't help but think that if I had heard Mackerras first (rather than Karajan or Abbado for example) it may have been an immediately gratifying introduction :)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:19 am

bricon wrote:Image
I was deciding whether or not to play that one yesterday but opted for something else instead....I must get back to it soon 8)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:23 am

mcq wrote:As far as I'm aware, most of the musicians play modern instruments. There are exceptions: violas de gamba make an appearance in Concerto 6, Jacques Zoon plays a wooden flute in Concerto 5 and Carmignola uses a baroque bow. (He's also the only one that doesn't use a chin rest.) However, I believe the strings used are modern steel ones. The complete performance is on YouTube so please let me know if I'm mistaken. It's still great music-making.
I this case the choice of instrumentation would not dampen my enthusiam as I am very keen to hear Abbado's take on this music....I must check out You Tube later :D

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:27 am

bombasticDarren wrote: I was about to post pretty much the same sentiments :lol:

Mackerras' Brahms is a wonderful thing - I took a whle to gel with Brahms and his orchestral works, and I can't help but think that if I had heard Mackerras first (rather than Karajan or Abbado for example) it may have been an immediately gratifying introduction :)
The old adage "Great minds think alike; fools seldom differ" springs to mind....I can only assume that we both fit into the first category Darren :lol: :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:28 am

val

Post by val » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 am

PETER PHILIPS: Paradisus Sacris Cantionibus / Ensemble Currende, Erik van Nevel

A very beautiful CD. The little motets of Philips, an English composer exiled because of his religious faith, show a strong influence of Italian music. He was a contemporary of Monteverdi.
The music is delightful and the interpreters are at the same level.