What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Some Richard Strauss

Also Sprach Zarathustra Tod und Verklärung Der Rosenkavalier Suite

Kempe Staatskapelle Dresden Brilliant Classics set

(these amazing recordings have been in my collection in one form or another since they were released in the mid 70's)
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 am

Paer - Overture to "Camilla" (Kapp/essay)
Chopin - Two Nocturnes, Op. 55 (Arrau/Philips)
Mendelssohn - A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op. 61 [Complete Incidental Music] (D'Avalos/IMP)
Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Beethoven - Symphony No.1 (Osmo Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra, BIS)

Franck - 'Prelude, Chorale et Fugue' (Stephen Hough, Hyperion) below

Wagner - 'Tristan und Isolde - Act 2' (Birgit Nilsson/Wolfgang Windgassen/Christa Ludwig/Martti Talvela/Eberhard Waechter/Karl Bohm, Chor und Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele, DG)

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: Image
I notice that you are delving deeper and deeper into Wagner Darren.
Yes, I like to take it slowly though Fergus :)

I have all the 'big' Wagner operas on disc and I am gradually getting through them - nice to know they are there when I feel the urge.... :lol: :wink:

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Fergus wrote:Bartok – Piano Concerto No. 1....

Image
I haven't listened for a while, but I recall this as being a sensational recording
:D

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

My favourite purchases of 2010, Number 8.

Image

Johann Sebastian Bach
Christmas Oratorio Part 6

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting


I will not wait until the 25th December before listening to this again.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Donaldopato wrote:Some Richard Strauss

Also Sprach Zarathustra Tod und Verklärung Der Rosenkavalier Suite

Kempe Staatskapelle Dresden Brilliant Classics set

(these amazing recordings have been in my collection in one form or another since they were released in the mid 70's)
I am very fond of the music of R Strauss and I agree that Kempe always does his music justice :wink:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:
Fergus wrote:Bartok – Piano Concerto No. 1....

Image
I haven't listened for a while, but I recall this as being a sensational recording
:D
Like you and Wagner I have to take this music slowly Darren :lol:

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Szymanowski - Violin Concerto No.2 (Ilya Kaler/Antoni Wit, Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Seán wrote:Image

Johann Sebastian Bach
Christmas Oratorio Part 6

Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki - conducting
Snap Seán....I also played this version this evening 8)

I followed it up with Cantata BWV65 for the Feast of the Epiphany....


Image

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm

More Bernstein:

Sibelius Symphonies # 2 and 7

Bernstein NYP

Bernstein Symphony Edition set
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Prometheus
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Prometheus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 am

Brahms-Piano Works-Oppitz-RCA.

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 am

Ravel - Violin Sonata (Renaud Capucon/Frank Braley, Virgin Classics)

Image

maestrob
Posts: 6630
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:18 am

Image

Enjoyable music, brilliantly played and conducted.

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Ridout - Fall Fair Overture (Mayer/CBC)
Curtis-Smith - Twelve Piano Etudes (composer/Albany)
Barber - Toccata Festiva (Alsop/Naxos)
Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Ravel - Piano Trio (Renaud Capucon/Gautier Capucon/Franck Braley, Virgin Classics)

Schubert - 'An Silvia', 'Lied eines Schiffers die Dioskuren', 'Liebhaber in allen Gestalten', 'Der Einsame', 'Im Abendrot', 'Leise flehen meine Lieder', 'An die Laute', 'Der Musensohn' & 'An die Musik' (Fritz Wunderlich/Hubert Giesen, DG) below

Wagner - 'Tristan und Isolde - Act 3' (Birgit Nilsson/Wolfgang Windgassen/Christa Ludwig/Martti Talvela/Eberhard Waechter/Karl Bohm, Chor und Orchester der Bayreuther Festspiele, DG)

Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm

On Orfeo, Bernstein's Salzburg debut with the NYPO, his (Bernstein's) Piano Concerto and Shosty's Fifth...

On Melodiya, Karajan doing Shosty's Tenth in Moscow...

On M+A, Bruno Walter's 1947 Beethoven 9th, a new transfer, stunning...

On Audite, The Manderling Quartet in all Janacek's String Quartets

On DoReMI, Richter playing Beethoven's 1st and 3rd, Brahms 2nd and Saint-Saen's Fifth, complete with original Radio announcements on the Boston Performances...

On RCA, James Levine's Schumann Cycle...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Donaldopato wrote:More Bernstein:

Sibelius Symphonies # 2 and 7

Bernstein NYP

Bernstein Symphony Edition set
I love the Sibelius cycle in that set.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Image

Ludwig Van Beethoven
Piano Concerto No 4

BBC Symphony Orchestra
Paul Lewis piano
Jiří Bělohlávek - conducting


This is a really splendid performance of Beethoven's Fourth Piano Concerto, Lewis pianism is wonderful, I must get more of his Beethoven recordings.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Piano Concerto No. 22

Philharmonia Orchestra
Derek Han piano
Paul Freeman - conducting.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Respighi - 'Roman Festivals', 'Fountains of Rome' & 'Pines of Rome' (Enrique Batiz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

Image

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:More Bernstein:

Sibelius Symphonies # 2 and 7

Bernstein NYP

Bernstein Symphony Edition set
I love the Sibelius cycle in that set.
It is one of the reasons I got the set, I did not have the Bernstein on CD and it was impossible to find. This whole set cost me about what I saw the Sibelius set selling for when I could find it.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Respighi - 'Roman Festivals', 'Fountains of Rome' & 'Pines of Rome' (Enrique Batiz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos)

Image
I did own that recording at one time and I thought that it was fine :D

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Dvorak – Piano Quartets in D & Eb performed by Domus....

Image

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Hovhaness

Mysterious Mountain Symphony # 2
Hymn To Glacier Peak Symphony # 66
Mount St Helen's Symphony (#50)

Schwarz Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Telarc
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Sibelius Symphony # 2 Szell Cleveland Orchestra

Recorded live in Tokyo May 22 1970, one of Szell's last performances and simply amazing.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

arthound
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:26 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by arthound » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:40 am

Image

This CD has superb sound for the era and Perlman puts in a fine performance. The fill-ups sound great as well.

Image

Dorati in a dark and poweful rendition of Dvorak's 7th.

arthound
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:26 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by arthound » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:48 am

Chalkperson wrote:On Orfeo, Bernstein's Salzburg debut with the NYPO, his (Bernstein's) Piano Concerto and Shosty's Fifth...

On Melodiya, Karajan doing Shosty's Tenth in Moscow...

On M+A, Bruno Walter's 1947 Beethoven 9th, a new transfer, stunning...

On Audite, The Manderling Quartet in all Janacek's String Quartets

On DoReMI, Richter playing Beethoven's 1st and 3rd, Brahms 2nd and Saint-Saen's Fifth, complete with original Radio announcements on the Boston Performances...

On RCA, James Levine's Schumann Cycle...
How does the live Bernstein come up against his other two recordings Chalkie? What did you think of Levine's Schumann?

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 am

arthound wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:On Orfeo, Bernstein's Salzburg debut with the NYPO, his (Bernstein's) Piano Concerto and Shosty's Fifth...

On Melodiya, Karajan doing Shosty's Tenth in Moscow...

On M+A, Bruno Walter's 1947 Beethoven 9th, a new transfer, stunning...

On Audite, The Manderling Quartet in all Janacek's String Quartets

On DoReMI, Richter playing Beethoven's 1st and 3rd, Brahms 2nd and Saint-Saen's Fifth, complete with original Radio announcements on the Boston Performances...

On RCA, James Levine's Schumann Cycle...
How does the live Bernstein come up against his other two recordings Chalkie? What did you think of Levine's Schumann?
I was most impressed with his Piano Concerto, the Concert was from 1959 and even though he had only been with the NYPO for a year it was excellent, the Studio recording was made not long after the Russian Tour, Levine's Schumann is very good...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 am

arthound wrote:Image

Dorati in a dark and poweful rendition of Dvorak's 7th.
That one certainly looks interesting to me :idea:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 am

Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 6 Klemperer....

Image

This was, for a “Big Band” performance, played with quite a light touch and was most enjoyable.

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 am

Fergus wrote:Beethoven – Symphonies Nos. 6 Klemperer....

Image

This was, for a “Big Band” performance, played with quite a light touch and was most enjoyable.
I understand that you have liked what you've heard on one to six except for the last movement of number five, that's good. :wink:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:08 am

Donaldopato wrote:Sibelius Symphony # 2 Szell Cleveland Orchestra

Recorded live in Tokyo May 22 1970, one of Szell's last performances and simply amazing.
I hadn't considered Szell and the Cleveland performing Sibelius music and I certainly wasn't aware of that recording. I must investigate further.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:29 am

Seán wrote:I understand that you have liked what you've heard on one to six except for the last movement of number five, that's good. :wink:
Quite correct Seán....No. 6 was not the best that I have heard but it was very good nonetheless and so far so good :wink:

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 am

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 89 'Was soll ich dir madchen, Ephraim?' (Joanne Lunn/Robin Tyson/Peter Harvey/John Eliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir/The English Baroque Soloists, Soli Deo Gloria)

Brahms - Horn Trio (Andrew Clark/Catherine Martin/Geoffrey Govier, EMI) below

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Van Cliburn/Kiril Kondrashin, RCA Symphony Orchestra, RCA)

Image

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:05 am

bombasticDarren wrote:Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Van Cliburn/Kiril Kondrashin, RCA Symphony Orchestra, RCA)
I really like that performance.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:06 am

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Van Cliburn/Kiril Kondrashin, RCA Symphony Orchestra, RCA)
I really like that performance.
Me too....what did you think of it Darren?

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 am

Image

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Donaldopato » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 am

Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Sibelius Symphony # 2 Szell Cleveland Orchestra

Recorded live in Tokyo May 22 1970, one of Szell's last performances and simply amazing.
I hadn't considered Szell and the Cleveland performing Sibelius music and I certainly wasn't aware of that recording. I must investigate further.

This one is not available in stores. I have a copy of the CD of the whole concert that I got through the Cleveland Orchestra. You can order it from there, it does not say if they ship to Europe, but they probably do. http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/cleve ... store.aspx

His similar recording of the 2nd with the Concertgebouw is also a fine recording.

Szell did not record much Sibelius, the 2nd is the only one I know. This is not luxurious Sibelius but somewhat brisk and very powerful.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

CharmNewton
Posts: 1952
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:45 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Sibelius Symphony # 2 Szell Cleveland Orchestra

Recorded live in Tokyo May 22 1970, one of Szell's last performances and simply amazing.
I hadn't considered Szell and the Cleveland performing Sibelius music and I certainly wasn't aware of that recording. I must investigate further.

This one is not available in stores. I have a copy of the CD of the whole concert that I got through the Cleveland Orchestra. You can order it from there, it does not say if they ship to Europe, but they probably do. http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/cleve ... store.aspx

His similar recording of the 2nd with the Concertgebouw is also a fine recording.

Szell did not record much Sibelius, the 2nd is the only one I know. This is not luxurious Sibelius but somewhat brisk and very powerful.
Image

I find this one of the most moving classical musician photos I have seen.

This is also available in Japan as a Blu-Spec CD.

I believe the Mozart Symphony No. 40 from this concert was issued on LP in a budget-priced edition, Szell Conducts Mozart, which also included re-issued recordings Symphonies 35, 39 and 41. As Denon began making PCM recordings in 1969 (with excellent quality), I've long wondered if Szell's tour was captured in experimental digital recordings. For the Japanese the appearances of the Cleveland Orchestra and Szell would have been a major event.

John

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Donaldopato wrote:
Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Sibelius Symphony # 2 Szell Cleveland Orchestra

Recorded live in Tokyo May 22 1970, one of Szell's last performances and simply amazing.
I hadn't considered Szell and the Cleveland performing Sibelius music and I certainly wasn't aware of that recording. I must investigate further.

This one is not available in stores. I have a copy of the CD of the whole concert that I got through the Cleveland Orchestra. You can order it from there, it does not say if they ship to Europe, but they probably do. http://www.clevelandorchestra.com/cleve ... store.aspx


His similar recording of the 2nd with the Concertgebouw is also a fine recording.

Szell did not record much Sibelius, the 2nd is the only one I know. This is not luxurious Sibelius but somewhat brisk and very powerful.
Don, thanks for the information.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

CharmNewton wrote: Image

I find this one of the most moving classical musician photos I have seen.

This is also available in Japan as a Blu-Spec CD.

I believe the Mozart Symphony No. 40 from this concert was issued on LP in a budget-priced edition, Szell Conducts Mozart, which also included re-issued recordings Symphonies 35, 39 and 41. As Denon began making PCM recordings in 1969 (with excellent quality), I've long wondered if Szell's tour was captured in experimental digital recordings. For the Japanese the appearances of the Cleveland Orchestra and Szell would have been a major event.

John
That is a lovely photo.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Image

Ludwig Van Beethoven
Piano Concertos No 3 & 5

BBC Symphony Orchestra
Paul Lewis piano
Jiří Bělohlávek - conducting


Oh this is a wonderful set, it is like listening to the Fifth Concerto for the very first time, it is so fresh and vibrant.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Image

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Lance's program, Sat., Jan. 8, 2011: Evelyn Lear, soprano
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Arriaga - Overture, Op. 1 "Nonetto" (Savall/Astree)
Sarasate - Zapateado, Op. 23, #2 (Ricci/One-Eleven)
Mompou - Suite Compostelana (Kreplin/Ascension)
Gerhard - Symphony "Homenaje a Pedrell" (Bamert/Chandos)
Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 am

Fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Van Cliburn/Kiril Kondrashin, RCA Symphony Orchestra, RCA)
I really like that performance.
Me too....what did you think of it Darren?
Outstanding, but I would direct you all to the Hough/Vanska set on Hyperion for this repertoire :wink:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 am

Thank you for that Darren :D

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 am

Music of the 12th century composed by Leonin and Perotin to be performed in the then recently completed cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris....


Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:13 am

J.S. Bach - Cantata BWV 115 'Mache dich, mein Geist, bereit' & BWV 60 'O Ewigkeit, du Donnerwort II' (Joanne Lunn/Robin Tyson/James Gilchrist/Peter Harvey/John Eliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir/The English Baroque Soloists, Soli Deo Gloria)

Beethoven - Symphony No.2 (Osmo Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra, BIS)

Brahms - Piano Quartet No.2 (Beaux Arts Trio/Walter Trampler, Philips) below

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests