What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

bombasticDarren

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.3 (John Lill/Alexander Gibson, Scottish National Chorus & Orchestra, CfP)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Arnold - English, Scottish, Cornish, Irish & Welsh Dances (Andrew Penny, Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Nielsen - Symphony No.2 'The Four Temperaments' (Osmo Vanska, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, BIS) & 'Helios - Overture' (Osmo Vanska, Lahti Symphony Orchestra, BIS)

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:40 pm

arthound wrote: Have to disagree with you guys about Tennstedt [with all due respect of course :wink: ]. The studio set is patchy in places but I would not want to be without the 1st [great bass drum in the final movement], 2-4 and 8.
I listened to Tennstedt's 8th today (it is also included in the EMI Complete Works collection), and it is a complete turnaround from the lackluster 5th. It brims with life and is generally well sung by the soloists and especially the chorus.

John

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Beethoven-Violin Concerto-Zinman-Arte Nova.

I have found Zinman's Beethoven concerto series superior to his acclaimed symphony cycle.

arthound

Post by arthound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 am

Wow! Unashamed big band Schumann that doesn't sound turgid or overblown. One of Barenboim's best efforts and deserving of comparison with Sawallisch IMO. Good sound too.

arthound

Post by arthound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:32 am

Prometheus wrote:Beethoven-Violin Concerto-Zinman-Arte Nova.

I have found Zinman's Beethoven concerto series superior to his acclaimed symphony cycle.

One of my favourite recordings of the VC - the orchestra sounds great [esp. the tympani] and Tetzlaff is in top form. Have you heard Zehetmair/Bruggen?

arthound

Post by arthound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:38 am

CharmNewton wrote:
arthound wrote: Have to disagree with you guys about Tennstedt [with all due respect of course :wink: ]. The studio set is patchy in places but I would not want to be without the 1st [great bass drum in the final movement], 2-4 and 8.
I listened to Tennstedt's 8th today (it is also included in the EMI Complete Works collection), and it is a complete turnaround from the lackluster 5th. It brims with life and is generally well sung by the soloists and especially the chorus.

John
Glad to hear you liked it John. There is a 'live' version that has come out but I have not heard it yet.

BTW if you listened to the 5th as part of the 'complete' Mahler EMI box set [with various conductors] then I think this is the live EMI version IIRC - not the Tennstedt studio 5th. Both versions are included in the latest Tennstedt/Mahler box.

arthound

Post by arthound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am

To me one of the great re-issue mysteries is why the Smetana Quartet's [2nd?] complete cycle of Beethoven's quartets has not been taken on by a label like Brilliant Classics. IMO the set is a worthy contender as a reference cycle and the sound is very good - if perhaps a touch too bright to my ears. I am listening to the beautiful Cavatina now as I type - superb!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 am

Chopin & Bach from recitals.

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 am

LPs

Ireland - Satyricon Overture (Boult/MHS)
Walton - Facade (composer/Argo)
Musgrave - Concerto for Orchestra (Gibson/Decca)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.4 (John Lill/Alexander Gibson, Scottish National Chorus & Orchestra, CfP)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No.1 & No.2 (Marc-Andre Hamelin/Andrew Litton, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Hyperion)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Mahler - Symphony No.4 (Dorothea Roschmann/Daniel Harding, Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Ravel - 'Bolero' (Paavo Jarvi, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Telarc)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.4 (John Lill/Alexander Gibson, Scottish National Chorus & Orchestra, CfP)

How are you finding the John Lill versions Darren?

[Edit: Someone was looking over my shoulder and embarrassed me into correcting a spelling mistake] :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fergus on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm

A Beethoven evening:

Symphonies 3, 4 and 8 Haitink Chicago live broadcast 6/2010

Triple Concerto Shaham, Mork, Bronfman soloist Zinman Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra

Arte Nova
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 am

arthound wrote:
Prometheus wrote:Beethoven-Violin Concerto-Zinman-Arte Nova.

One of my favourite recordings of the VC - the orchestra sounds great [esp. the tympani] and Tetzlaff is in top form. Have you heard Zehetmair/Bruggen?
I agree and the tympani certainly stood out upon first listen. I have not heard the other one that you mentioned.

Prometheus

Post by Prometheus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 am

Haydn-London Symphonies vol 2 -Davis-Phillips.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 am

Prometheus wrote:Haydn-London Symphonies vol 2 -Davis-Phillips.

I have that, and its companion disc, in my collection for many years now and I still go back to them; they were very good performances :D

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:56 am

LPs

Erb - Overture: The Maids (Johanos/Turnabout)
Crumb - Black Angels (NY SQ/CRI)
Ivey - Terminus (Bonazzi/Folkways)
Cage - Concerto for Prepared Piano & Orchestra (Takahashi/Nonesuch)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 am

Mahler VI: HVK/Berlin

First movement decidedly faster than I like in spots, but well-played. This would not be my recommended first version, but an interesting supplement to a collection.

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5 'Emperor' (John Lill/Alexander Gibson, Scottish National Chorus & Orchestra, CfP)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Guillaume Tell is one of my favourite operas, and since there are so few recordings, when a new one appears it´s definitely an event for me. Since the 2 last major recordings, the Gardelli on EMI and the Muti on Philips lost money (in fact EMI told Muti that they didn´t want to record his La Scala production), Tony Pappano must have put a lot of pressure on EMI to venture once more into the Swiss Alps.
Pappano was quite right in performing the original French version, since Guillaume Tell is 100% a French opera, just like Donizetti´s La Favorite and Verdi´s Don Carlos, the French originals are infinitely superior to the mediocre (and in the case of La Favorite, disastrous) Italian adaptations.
So how this recording compares to the others? First of all it´s very well conducted, Pappano clearly communicates that he loves the score (how couldn´t he) and has his large forces under tight control. He has a better outlook of the large canvas than Lamberto Gardelli, and he is an all-around better conductor than the 26 year old Riccardo Chailly, who surely was too young and inexperienced at the time he made the DECCA recording.
The Muti version recorded live at La Scala in the Rossini Bicentennial has long been my favourite recording.
It is also extremely well conducted by one of the living conductors with more experience in the score, since Muti was already conducting it in the Maggio Musicale Festival of 1968 with a young Eva Marton as Mathilde. Muti´s direction is more patrician and magisterial, a little bit more elegant too, and he has the better orchestra and chorus. This in no way diminishes the good playing of the Accademia di Santa Cecilia, but the Orchestra of La Scala is certainly the better band.
As for the singing Pappano´s cast is good and able, though the competition is fierce. In the title role Gerald Finley, a bass-baritone, sings in good clear French, and his voice is very beautiful, no complaints here, though Gabriel Bacquier with Gardelli is even more idiomatic, Milnes with Chailly more sonorous, and the great Giorgio Zancanaro with Muti more individual and memorable.
Montserrat Caballé with Gardelli has the ideal voice for Mathilde, and she floats those gorgeous pianissimi as only she can. She is hors concours. Mirella Freni (DECCA) is good, but hers is not the ideal voice for the role. Cheryl Studer for Muti substituted at the last minute an indisposed Lella Cuberli, a great pity because she was the great Rossini soprano of her generation; Studer is certainly not bad, and her voice has many qualities that remind me of Caballé, not least her ability to float a note. Pappano´s newcomer Malin Byström has an interesting but strange voice, in the middle it sounds like a mezzo, but can go upwards without difficulty. Technically Studer is better, her coloratura is more accurate and I imagine her voice is bigger, so in the concertantes she is more present, but Byström is not bad, only her French leaves something to be desired.
When you are trying to cast Guillaume Tell your biggest nightmare is the tenor lead, Arnold Melcthal, a role that needs the power of a Franco Corelli, the hight tessitura of a Juan Diego Florez and the good French of a Nicolai Gedda. Obviously most of the tenors who have recorded the role are found wanting.
In studio condition Gedda for Gardelli and Pavarotti for Chailly sound good, though Pavarotti never dared to sing the role live and Gedda only sang 2 performances (for Muti) and almost ruins his voice. In an interview he admitted it was the biggest mistake of his career. That´s why I admire so much Chris Merritt, a tenor much criticized in some quarters for his peculiar voice and sound production, but one that really sang Arnold in the stage during the 90´s. John Osborn for Pappano is not as heroic or fearless as Merritt, but when you consider the difficulties of the role you just have to be thankful that someone is willing to sing it.
There´s another Guillaume Tell recorded live in the Vienna State Opera with Thomas Hampson in the title role, but the soprano is terrible, so I can´t recommend it (ORFEO).
So, if forced to choose I would still say that Muti is numero uno for me, all things considered, but the Pappano is a welcome addition, a lovingly conducted and satisfactorily sung version, very well recorded in the new Auditorium Parco della Musica in Rome. It is also much less expensive than the Muti or the Chailly. The Gardelli now is in budget, but despite the heavenly presence of la Caballé now sounds its age.

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:19 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Nielsen - Symphony No.2 'The Four Temperaments' (Osmo Vanska, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, BIS) & 'Helios - Overture' (Osmo Vanska, Lahti Symphony Orchestra, BIS)

Well Darren, what do you make of Vänskä's treatment of Nielsen's symphonic works? Do you like the set?
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Pepé, that's a lovely, detailed review of Pappano's recording of William Tell, well done.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:32 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

Mahler VI: HVK/Berlin

First movement decidedly faster than I like in spots, but well-played. This would not be my recommended first version, but an interesting supplement to a collection.
I love von Karajan's Mahler recordings, his Sixth wouldn't be my favourite either but it's well worth having.
Seán

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Brahms - Symphony No.1 (Carlo Maria Giulini, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Newton Classics)

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Symphony No.1 (Carlo Maria Giulini, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Newton Classics)

I'm tempted to get that set.
Seán

DaveF

Post by DaveF » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:22 pm

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Seán wrote:Pepé, that's a lovely, detailed review of Pappano's recording of William Tell, well done.
Thank you Sean. When it´s opera, I just can´t stop. :lol:

arglebargle

Post by arglebargle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

Enjoying Hindemith solo viola works from CD1 of:

There was a time I wouldn't have, now somehow it's all good. I have a personal theory about post-romantic classical: it represents one's immediate experience of real life, the ups and downs, the sudden surprises and changes of pace, the sublime moments and painful moments, all intermixed... something like that.
I'm JustAFan

arthound

Post by arthound » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:21 am

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am

Shostakovich - Festival Overture (Mayer/CBC)
Myaskovsky - Symphony #6 (Dudarova/Olympia)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Nielsen - Symphony No.2 'The Four Temperaments' (Osmo Vanska, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, BIS) & 'Helios - Overture' (Osmo Vanska, Lahti Symphony Orchestra, BIS)

Well Darren, what do you make of Vänskä's treatment of Nielsen's symphonic works? Do you like the set?
The small piece of the cycle I have heard was fine, but Vanska needs to do more in the remaining pieces to reach the standard of Blomstedt or Bernstein (and perhaps Jarvi too :? ) :|

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.4 (John Lill/Alexander Gibson, Scottish National Chorus & Orchestra, CfP)

How are you finding the John Lill versions Darren?

[Edit: Someone was looking over my shoulder and embarrassed me into correcting a spelling mistake] :mrgreen:
Very pleasing, if a little safe. One to return to though :D

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Brahms - Piano Quartet in G minor (Orch: Schoenberg) (Robert Craft, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Sony Classical)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No.1 (Mikhail Rudy/Mariss Jansons, St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:50 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Piano Quartet in G minor (Orch: Schoenberg) (Robert Craft, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Sony Classical)

About the only Brahms I like! :wink:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Bartok Piano Concerto #2 Richter/Maazel Orchestre de Paris EMI

on Spotify http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/comb/

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Donaldopato wrote:Bartok Piano Concerto #2 Richter/Maazel Orchestre de Paris EMI

Don, is it worth getting?
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 3

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Bernard Haitink - conducting.
Seán

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

How did you like the Haitink recording Sean?
To tell you the truth I didn´t like very much the sound quality or the performance in general. For a Mahler 3 with Haitink I´d still go for his mid-sixties Concertgebouw recording, I didn´t like his second version with the BPO either.
In comparison I liked better the recent Jansons version. At least the Concertgebouw makes up for whatever is missing in the podium, but my favourite recordings by a margin are still Abbado´s I & II.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Seán wrote:
Donaldopato wrote:Bartok Piano Concerto #2 Richter/Maazel Orchestre de Paris EMI

It was a fine performance, typical mid 90's sound, but Richter was in full command of the piano. I love the Bartok #2 and had not heard this performance before.

This is a 3 disc collection of recordings (strangely missing Piano Concerto #1 but including the Miraculous Mandarin and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta with Ormandy/Philadelphia) titled "Bartok: The Concerto Album. The 2nd is the only Richter recording on the set. Piano Concerto # 3 is Argerich/Dutoit/Montreal. The Richter/Maazel is the only thing I listened to in the collection.

BEWARE CONTAINS RATTLE. :lol:

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:13 am

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:01 am

josé echenique wrote:How did you like the Haitink recording Sean?
To tell you the truth I didn´t like very much the sound quality or the performance in general. For a Mahler 3 with Haitink I´d still go for his mid-sixties Concertgebouw recording, I didn´t like his second version with the BPO either.
In comparison I liked better the recent Jansons version. At least the Concertgebouw makes up for whatever is missing in the podium, but my favourite recordings by a margin are still Abbado´s I & II.
I love it, but I do prefer the Chailly/RCO and the wonderful Levine/CSO performances. I must revisit the earlier Haitink Concertgebouw recordings.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Seán wrote:

It was a fine performance, typical mid 90's sound, but Richter was in full command of the piano. I love the Bartok #2 and had not heard this performance before.

This is a 3 disc collection of recordings (strangely missing Piano Concerto #1 but including the Miraculous Mandarin and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta with Ormandy/Philadelphia) titled "Bartok: The Concerto Album. The 2nd is the only Richter recording on the set. Piano Concerto # 3 is Argerich/Dutoit/Montreal. The Richter/Maazel is the only thing I listened to in the collection.
That looks interesting so.

BEWARE CONTAINS RATTLE. :lol:
Seán

arthound

Post by arthound » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 am