What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Wallingford » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:31 pm

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Boston Symphony Orchestra & Serge Koussevitzky
Naxos

It's funny, the ending to Bartok's CFO is different here than in other recordings. I read somewhere that he rewrote the end of the finale before giving the work to other orchestras for performance. Still it's a great recording, amazing really, given that this recording was made just weeks after the world premiere. What an outstanding orchestra Boston had back then!
The Boosey & Hawkes miniature score displays both the commonly known ending and Bartok's original ending. Someone apparently convinced him (Koussevitzky, maybe?) that it needed a broader, more razz-ma-tazz ending.

I like the original: it's abrupt, but has a terrific mixolydian progression. The well-known one confuses the listener a bit in regards to the central key.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Schumann's Third Symphony (Kletzki)
Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 (Entremont/Bernstein)
Weber-Berlioz' Invitation To The Dance and Enescu's Roumanian Rhapsody #1 (Kostelanetz)
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Schubert - Symphony No.9 'Great' (Klaus Tennstedt, London Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Legends)

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 pm

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Sibelius - Symphony No.5 (Sakari Oramo, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Erato)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:55 pm

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Chicago SO & Fritz Reiner
RCA Living Stereo

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Strauss, Jr - Overture to "The Merry War" (Walter/Marco Polo)
Rheinberger - Wallenstein (Athinaos/Signum)

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Beethoven: Symphonies 7 & 9
New York Philharmonic & Bruno Walter
United Archives

This disc was waiting for me when I arrived back home from NYC earlier today. Arthound, just some notes for you on the sound:

I compared the 9th on this disc to a Urania disc I had with the same performance, and it's markedly better. It's not really close, actually. The Urania sound was constricted and strangely positioned, almost like trying to listen to a symphony in a tunnel, while the sound here is pleasant and full and as responsive as one could expect from Columbia, which was not very well-regarded in those days for its recordings. All of the recordings date from 1949-1952 with the exception of the 8th (1942) and the 6th (1946, which is with Philadelphia rather than New York). I also compared them to the roughly contemporary Walter/NYPO Brahms cycle on french Sony (1951-1953) and the sound is comparable in terms of quality. In some ways I'd say it's a step up, as some of the harshness in the strings seems improved. I thoroughly enjoyed the 7th and 9th in this collection, and look forward to the rest of the cycle. If you're a Walter fan and don't have this, it is absolutely worth strong consideration. And so long as you can deal with less than perfect sound, I'd recommend this set wholeheartedly. To my ears the sound is perfectly fine, and you can hear almost all of the detail, save during the very loud forte passages. Walter's NYPO recordings are so much more vigorous and exciting than the later Columbia SO recordings. Besides the stereo aspect of the latter, it's hard to believe that it's that material which is currently in print. It's strange to think that there's an entire generation of music listeners who probably think of Walter as some mellow and grandfatherly podium presence, since as a young man this couldn't have been further from the truth. Tempi-wise he was much closer to Toscanini, as evidenced by the 7th on this disc. But to this, he adds subtle tempo flexibility and his trademark sense of humanity. Beautiful music-making, of the kind one rarely hears anymore.

EDIT: upon further listening, I'd say the Brahms set is brighter, which has its pros & cons. As I mentioned before, this makes the strings sound wiry and edgy. However on the flipside the one thing I've noticed on the Beethoven set is that the tympani are a little boomy. It's particularly noticeable in the scherzo of the 9th and the Finale of the 7th. I'm pretty forgiving with sound, but some people might not be, so I thought I'd further distinguish the differing sonics on these two similar releases.
Last edited by ContrapunctusIX on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:16 am

Bartok's Orchestral Suite #2 (Dorati)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 am

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Beethoven: Symphonies 7 & 9
United Archives

This disc was waiting for me when I arrived back home from NYC earlier today. Arthound, just some notes for you on the sound:

I compared the 9th on this disc to a Urania disc I had with the same performance, and it's markedly better. It's not really close, actually. The Urania sound was congested and strange sounding, almost like trying to listen to a symphony in a tunnel, while the sound here is pleasant and full and as responsive as one could expect from Columbia, which was not very well-regarded in those days for its recordings. All of the recordings date from 1949-1951 with the exception of the 8th (1942) and the 6th (1946, which is with Philadelphia rather than New York). I also compared them to the roughly contemporary Walter/NYPO Brahms cycle on french Sony (1951-1953) and the sound is comparable in terms of quality. In some ways I'd say it's a step up, as some of the harshness in the strings seems improved. I thoroughly enjoyed the 7th and 9th in this collection, and look forward to the rest of the cycle. If you're a Walter fan and don't have this, it is absolutely worth strong consideration. And so long as you can deal with less than perfect sound, I'd recommend this set wholeheartedly. To my ears the sound is perfectly fine, and you can hear almost all of the detail, save during the very loud forte passages. Walter's NYPO recordings are so much more vigorous and exciting than the later Columbia SO recordings. Besides the stereo aspect of the latter, it's hard to believe that it's that material which is currently in print. It's strange to think that there's an entire generation of music listeners who probably think of Walter as some mellow, albeit dramatic conductor, but as a young man this couldn't have been further from the truth. Tempi-wise he was much closer to Toscanini, as evidenced by the 7th on this disc. But to this he adds his trademark humanity. Beautiful music-making, of the kind one rarely hears anymore.

Thank you for that very good and enlightening review as that is a set that I have also put on my List for purchase recently :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Virtuoso, sensitive, electrifying playing from the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester inspired by Abbado.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:07 pm

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Glinka - Overture to "Russlan and Ludmilla" (Mayer/CBC)
Rimsky-Korsakov - Sadko, A Musical Picture, Op. 5 (Golovschin/Naxos)
Tchaikovsky - Serenade for Strings (Turovsky/Chandos)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 pm

The more we hear of Darmstadt composer Christoph Graupner, the more important he seems.
Like Bach´s, this "Christmas Oratorio" is not really an oratorio, but several Christmas cantatas, and they are all gorgeous, magnificent music. No wonder the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt couldn´t let Graupner leave, so he raised his salary. Graupner was first choice for Leipzig, but since he decided to stay in Darmstadt the post in Leipzig went to a certain Johann Sebastian Bach.
The work and the recording are marvelous, so if you want to try something different this Christmas this is strongly recommended.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Beethoven's Seventh (Kahane.....live w/Colorado Symphony)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:47 am

maestrob wrote:Image

Virtuoso, sensitive, electrifying playing from the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester inspired by Abbado.
Oh, it's on my list, I will have to get that recording.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 am

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Chicago SO & Fritz Reiner
RCA Living Stereo

That is a magnificent recording, well of course it is, it's Reiner and the CSO.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 am

bombasticDarren wrote:Sibelius - 'Finlandia' & 'Karelia Suite' (Petri Sakari, Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

Darren, have you got the entire Sakari/ISO cycle of Sibelius Symphonic recordings, if you have do you like them?
Seán

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 am

ContrapunctusIX wrote:Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Naxos

It's funny, the ending to Bartok's CFO is different here than in other recordings. I read somewhere that he rewrote the end of the finale before giving the work to other orchestras for performance. Still it's a great recording, amazing really, given that this recording was made just weeks after the world premiere. What an outstanding orchestra Boston had back then!
I have long been intrigued by this recording of the Bartok for its historical significance, but heard that the sound is awful, even by historical recording standards. How do you feel about it?
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:58 am

Cimarosa - Overture to "Il matrimonio segreto" (Amoretti/Marco Polo)
Salieri - 26 Variations on "La folia di Spagna" (Bamert/Chandos)
W. A. Mozart - Piano Sonata #5 (Ranki/Hungaroton)
F. J. Haydn - Symphony #33 (Muller-Bruhl/Naxos)

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am

Donaldopato wrote:
Naxos

I have long been intrigued by this recording of the Bartok for its historical significance, but heard that the sound is awful, even by historical recording standards. How do you feel about it?
The recorded sound is not very good, it's true. Pretty much every fortissimo section is a muddy mess. But I'm not sure it's that much worse than other recordings from the same time period. IMO so long as you know the works well, you can hear everything you need to. And the performance is really great, which makes up for the sonic shortcomings. In the end though it depends on how forgiving you are in regards to poor sound. Personally I can put up with a lot, like the poor sound of weingartner's EMI Brahms cycle, which sounds like tissue paper but is interpreted excellently.

Also, where else can you hear the original ending to the CFO? I'm not aware of any other recordings which use it (maybe Wallingford knows.)

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:56 am

Cristofaro Caresana was one of the most important and influential of XVII Century Neapolitan composers.
And the importance of Neapolitan music in the XVII and XVIII centuries is not to be taken lightly, it´s influence was felt from Germany to Russia, and it even reached the New World through Spain and Portugal.
These Christmas cantatas are like anything you have ever heard, they are very special, and lovely beyond words. They are also very Neapolitan, and they absolutely need the incomparable Cappella della Pietá de´Turchini to do them justice.
This surely is one of my all-time favourite Christmas recordings.

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Stravinsky - 'L'Oiseau de feu' (Colin Davis, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Philips)

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:23 pm

The top right hand corner of the CD says "Special Price", so I go to Amazon and see that I can get it new for $49. Wow!!! That's truly special. :wink:

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:35 pm

johnQpublic wrote:
The top right hand corner of the CD says "Special Price", so I go to Amazon and see that I can get it new for $49. Wow!!! That's truly special. :wink:
it would have been even more special if you found the other Amazon listing which has it priced used at $12.49...

http://www.amazon.com/Cristofaro-Caresa ... 647&sr=8-3

:mrgreen:

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Sibelius - 'Finlandia' & 'Karelia Suite' (Petri Sakari, Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

Darren, have you got the entire Sakari/ISO cycle of Sibelius Symphonic recordings, if you have do you like them?
Yes Sean I have the whole set now. I found them to be of high quality - particularly in the later works. The price is so competitive that I would be foolish not to recommend them

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm

ContrapunctusIX wrote: [ it would have been even more special if you found the other Amazon listing which has it priced used at $12.49...

But that's not the Amazon page I got: Here's what I saw, Mr. 9th Counterpont

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=11&y=14

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:58 pm

johnQpublic wrote:
ContrapunctusIX wrote: [ it would have been even more special if you found the other Amazon listing which has it priced used at $12.49...

But that's not the Amazon page I got: Here's what I saw, Mr. 9th Counterpont

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=11&y=14
bad search then Mr.Q. When I plugged in "turchini caresana" in the dialog search box, I got this page at the top, which is listed as $13.48 new! Extra special! :mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/Cristofara-Caresa ... 115&sr=1-1

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm

....featuring the playing of Frans Bruggen, Gustav Leonhardt and Nikolas Harnoncourt among others.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Avet Terterian

Symphonies # 3 and 4
Armenian Philharmonic Tjeknavorian

ASV out of print

wild stuff! Thanks "someguy" for reminding me of this marvelous music.

Then for Beethoven's Birthday

Symphony # 7 Guido Cantelli Philharmonia
Symphony # 5 Guido Cantelli NBC SO
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 am

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:10 am

traversal of the early SQs this morning...

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:40 am

Jared wrote:Image

I am looking for a complete Schubert quartet cycle Jared. Does this one pass muster?

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 am

Beethoven - Symphony No.9 'Choral' (Jane Marsh/Josephine Veasey/Placido Domingo/Sherrill Milnes/Erich Leinsdorf, Chorus Pro Musica/New England Conservatory Chorus/Boston Symphony Orchestra, RCA)

Schoenberg - 'A Survivor from Warsaw' (Sherrill Milnes/Erich Leinsdorf, New England Conservatory Chorus/Boston Symphony Orchestra, RCA)

Jared

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:21 am

bombasticDarren wrote:

I am looking for a complete Schubert quartet cycle Jared. Does this one pass muster?
very much so... it must be about the strongest in the field... 8)

that said, I don't think there is too much competition, as Nos 1-11 aren't often recorded...

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 am

Stravinsky - Orpheus (Colin Davis, London Symphony Orchestra, Philips)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 am

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:

that said, I don't think there is too much competition, as Nos 1-11 aren't often recorded...
Well, it's in my Amazon basket now :roll:

Jared

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:14 am

bombasticDarren wrote:Well, it's in my Amazon basket now :roll:
Make it a *New Year* resolution Darren... (and not before!) :lol:

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:17 am

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Well, it's in my Amazon basket now :roll:
Make it a *New Year* resolution Darren... (and not before!) :lol:
I think it will have to be :(

arthound

Post by arthound » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:21 am

Fergus wrote:
ContrapunctusIX wrote:Beethoven: Symphonies 7 & 9
United Archives

I compared the 9th on this disc to a Urania disc I had with the same performance, and it's markedly better. It's not really close, actually. The Urania sound was congested and strange sounding, almost like trying to listen to a symphony in a tunnel, while the sound here is pleasant and full and as responsive as one could expect from Columbia, which was not very well-regarded in those days for its recordings. All of the recordings date from 1949-1951 with the exception of the 8th (1942) and the 6th (1946, which is with Philadelphia rather than New York). I also compared them to the roughly contemporary Walter/NYPO Brahms cycle on french Sony (1951-1953) and the sound is comparable in terms of quality. In some ways I'd say it's a step up, as some of the harshness in the strings seems improved. I thoroughly enjoyed the 7th and 9th in this collection, and look forward to the rest of the cycle. If you're a Walter fan and don't have this, it is absolutely worth strong consideration. And so long as you can deal with less than perfect sound, I'd recommend this set wholeheartedly. To my ears the sound is perfectly fine, and you can hear almost all of the detail, save during the very loud forte passages. Walter's NYPO recordings are so much more vigorous and exciting than the later Columbia SO recordings. Besides the stereo aspect of the latter, it's hard to believe that it's that material which is currently in print. It's strange to think that there's an entire generation of music listeners who probably think of Walter as some mellow, albeit dramatic conductor, but as a young man this couldn't have been further from the truth. Tempi-wise he was much closer to Toscanini, as evidenced by the 7th on this disc. But to this he adds his trademark humanity. Beautiful music-making, of the kind one rarely hears anymore.

Thank you for that very good and enlightening review as that is a set that I have also put on my List for purchase recently :D
My thanks too CPIX - very helpful. I'm keen to get it too... but also keen to get the Chailly set. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

arthound

Post by arthound » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 am

Selections from this fine set. Some of these recordings had been a tad hard of late to pick up till this box came along.

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:40 am

Fergus

Post by Fergus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:03 am

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:

Well, it's in my Amazon basket now :roll:
You should also consider the Naxos set with the Kodaly Quartet Darren; they are also very good :wink:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Walton I: Boult/BBC.....live performance, 1975: released on CD by BBC Magazine.

Jared

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:46 pm

maestrob wrote:Walton I: Boult/BBC.....live performance, 1975: released on CD by BBC Magazine.
have you seen this months CD mb? It has Menuhin performing the Beethoven VC from 1948 and RVW conducting his own Dona Nobis Pacem from 1936... 8)

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:04 pm

'tis the Season"....Day 1

Handel - Messiah (Shaw/Telarc)

Jared

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:59 pm

pure genius... 8)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Stravinsky - Petrushka (Colin Davis, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Philips)

This has to be one of the finest Stravinsky collections available. One of my top purchases of the past year :D
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:15 pm

pure genius... 8)
A set that should be in any personal collection of Brahms' works, imho :)