What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 pm

^^ oh there is no doubting... the man knew how to write chamber music... and the Beaux Arts Trio (and friends) knew how to play it... truly sumptuous... 8)

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:25 pm

johnQpublic wrote:'tis the Season"....Day 1

Handel - Messiah (Shaw/Telarc)
I'll shortly be joning you in this excursion, although I have McCreesh's high octane chariot race of a version, up for consideration this Xmas.. :lol:

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Jared wrote:
johnQpublic wrote:'tis the Season"....Day 1

Handel - Messiah (Shaw/Telarc)
I'll shortly be joning you in this excursion, although I have McCreesh's high octane chariot race of a version, up for consideration this Xmas.. :lol:
I will be joining you in that endeavour Jared. I picked up the McCreesh a few weeks ago in a charity shop :)

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm

Bruckner - Symphony No.4 (Klaus Tennstedt, Berliner Philharmoniker, EMI)

Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:05 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:I will be joining you in that endeavour Jared. I picked up the McCreesh a few weeks ago in a charity shop :)
charity shops... don't you just love 'em?

my set also only cost me about £3.50... :wink: :D

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I will be joining you in that endeavour Jared. I picked up the McCreesh a few weeks ago in a charity shop :)
charity shops... don't you just love 'em?

my set also only cost me about £3.50... :wink: :D
£4.99 for mine :roll:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Jared wrote:^^ oh there is no doubting... the man knew how to write chamber music... and the Beaux Arts Trio (and friends) knew how to play it... truly sumptuous... 8)
Well said Sir :wink:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Image


This was the first disc of Charpentier’s music that I bought and it still remains a seasonal favourite; with gorgeous singing and beautiful instrumental textures. The Noels are very melodious and lilt along at a lively pace, in a dance like fashion; a lovely recording.

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Jared wrote: I'll shortly be joning you in this excursion, although I have McCreesh's high octane chariot race of a version, up for consideration this Xmas.. :lol:
If judging what Handel I do have by McCreesh ("Saul") you should have some highly imaginative and colorful Messiah listening ahead.
Image

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Image

This is another of my favourite Christmas recordings, and gets my vote as the finest recording of the Gabrieli Consort. Praetorius´s In Dulci Jubilo sung by some 600 voices (The Gabrieli consort plus the church congregation) is alone worth the price of the cd.

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Image

After exhausting the arrangement possibilities of the Art of the Fugue, now it seems the turn of the Goldberg Variations. There are recordings of transcriptions for organ, accordion, jazz trio and of course piano.
I particularly like the version for violin. viola and cello by Dmitry Sitkovetsky that has been recorded at least 3 times, being my favourite the one with Swiss Chamber Soloists in the NEOS Classics label.
Now we add Fretwork´s version for gamba consort transcribed by Richard Boothby. Bach of course loved the viola da gamba and kept writing for it well after the cello was firmly established. What he did not do was write for a viola consort in the manner of Orlando Gibbons. Fretwork manages to play all the notes, and it´s to their credit that the sound is varied and entertaining. But does it really work? I think not.
In the slow variations the gambas are fine, but in spite of virtuoso playing the fast movements ask too much of the instruments.
The Sitkovetsky arrangement seems to inhabit the sound world of Mozart, the world of the great Divertimento K.563, but it works. If you want a version with strings that´s the one you should investigate.





Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:40 am

josé echenique wrote:Image

This is another of my favourite Christmas recordings, and gets my vote as the finest recording of the Gabrieli Consort. Praetorius´s In Dulci Jubilo sung by some 600 voices (The Gabrieli consort plus the church congregation) is alone worth the price of the cd.
Pepe, is this the same CD with a different cover (Lutheran Mass for Christmas Morning 1620), or a different Christmas Mass altogether?

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 am

Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:22 am

Fergus wrote:Image
^^ I have grown quite a fondness for the subtle harmonies in that piece, Fergus... background music in the very finest sense of the term.. 8)

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 am

Sibelius - Lemminkainen Suite (Petri Sakari, Iceland Symphony Orchestra, Naxos)

Image
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:44 am

Brahms - Haydn Variations (Claudio Abbado, Berliner Philharmoniker, DG)

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:46 am

Fergus wrote:Image
I am sure one day I will venture into music of this era. Thankfully I have plenty of time, and a couple of reliable guides on CMG when the time comes for me :D

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:15 am

bombasticDarren wrote:I am sure one day I will venture into music of this era. Thankfully I have plenty of time, and a couple of reliable guides on CMG when the time comes for me :D
yes, I'd recommend Tallis, Byrd, Palestrina, Gabrieli & Victoria before tackling Obrecht... but you are right, Fergus & Pepe would be your wise counsellors in this department... :D

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:30 am

Jared wrote:
josé echenique wrote:Image

This is another of my favourite Christmas recordings, and gets my vote as the finest recording of the Gabrieli Consort. Praetorius´s In Dulci Jubilo sung by some 600 voices (The Gabrieli consort plus the church congregation) is alone worth the price of the cd.
Pepe, is this the same CD with a different cover (Lutheran Mass for Christmas Morning 1620), or a different Christmas Mass altogether?

Image
It´s the same recording. The cover I posted was destined for the German market, the other for the rest of the World.

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:52 am

Jared wrote:
Fergus wrote:Image
^^ I have grown quite a fondness for the subtle harmonies in that piece, Fergus... background music in the very finest sense of the term.. 8)
It is sublime Jared 8)

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 am

Jared wrote: yes, I'd recommend Tallis, Byrd, Palestrina, Gabrieli & Victoria....
....and all before Christmas Darren :lol:

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:54 am

Image

This is a beautiful work that is very well sung and played here.

maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by maestrob » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Jared wrote:
maestrob wrote:Walton I: Boult/BBC.....live performance, 1975: released on CD by BBC Magazine.
have you seen this months CD mb? It has Menuhin performing the Beethoven VC from 1948 and RVW conducting his own Dona Nobis Pacem from 1936... 8)
I just got the December issue last week: we're a little slow here across the pond..... :wink: :mrgreen:

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:15 pm

maestrob wrote:
Jared wrote:
maestrob wrote:Walton I: Boult/BBC.....live performance, 1975: released on CD by BBC Magazine.
have you seen this months CD mb? It has Menuhin performing the Beethoven VC from 1948 and RVW conducting his own Dona Nobis Pacem from 1936... 8)
I just got the December issue last week: we're a little slow here across the pond..... :wink: :mrgreen:
Well, the LvB & RVW disk should be worth owning; it's the first time either recording has been committed to disk, so we'll actually own something Lance doesn't!

February's Mag & Disk commemorate the Debussy 150th anniversary and contains a BBC NOW recording of 'Le martyre de Saint Sebastien'... which will offer me yet another opportunity to try and get into his music... :shock: :?

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Ives - Symphony No.4 (Jose Serebrier, The John Alldis Choir/London Philharmonic Orchestra, RCA)

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Schubert - An Silvia, Lied eines Schiffers an die Dioskuren, Liebhaber in allen Gestalten, Der Einsame, Im Abendrot, Leise flehen meine Lieder, An die Laute, Der Musensohn & An die Musik (Fritz Wunderlich/Hubert Giesen, DG)

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Bizet - Symphony in C (Jesus Lopez-Cobos, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Telarc)

Image

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:42 pm

'tis the Season....Day 2

Howarth - Christmas Fanfare (composer/Conifer)
Tavener - The Lamb (Lumsden/Nimbus)
Martelli - Greensleeves (Thomson/Dutton)
Hamburger - "Nothing in the World is as Quiet as Snow" & "Among the Stars of Night" (Holton/Naxos)
Lyapunov - Fetes de Noel (Andjaparidze/Naxos)
Valentini - Sinfonie a tre, per Il Santissimo Natale (Francis/Helios)
J.S. Bach - Cantata #151 "Susser Trost, mein Jesus kommt" (Smith/Koch)
Image

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Image
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Image


Concerto Grosso Op.6 No. 8, Christmas Concerto.

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:50 am

'tis the Season......Day 3.....all LPs

Berezowski - Christmas Festival Overture (Lipkin/CRI)
Rosseau - My Christmas Night from "Zeepbellen" (Devos/Eufoda)
Dallapiccola - Concerto per la Notte di Natale Dell'Anno (Thome/Candide)
Tippett - The Weeping Babe (Davis/Argo)
Stravinsky - Chorale Variations on the German Christmas carol "Von Himmel hoch da komm ich her" (composer/Columbia)
Last edited by johnQpublic on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am

Jared wrote:
maestrob wrote:
Jared wrote:
maestrob wrote:Walton I: Boult/BBC.....live performance, 1975: released on CD by BBC Magazine.
have you seen this months CD mb? It has Menuhin performing the Beethoven VC from 1948 and RVW conducting his own Dona Nobis Pacem from 1936... 8)
I just got the December issue last week: we're a little slow here across the pond..... :wink: :mrgreen:
Well, the LvB & RVW disk should be worth owning; it's the first time either recording has been committed to disk, so we'll actually own something Lance doesn't!

February's Mag & Disk commemorate the Debussy 150th anniversary and contains a BBC NOW recording of 'Le martyre de Saint Sebastien'... which will offer me yet another opportunity to try and get into his music... :shock: :?
Hope they provide a translation of the French poetry (narration) and chorus text. I love the piece, but more for the drama than the music. Ormandy recorded it back in the 1960's, but it was never issued on CD. Of all people, Michael Tilson-Thomas did a credible version about 10-12 years ago that is still available:

Image

If you want authenticity, this version by Debussy's favorite conductor, Ingelbrecht, has been issued on Testament: it's from ca. 1955 and in good sound:

Image

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Image


Another seasonal favourite :D

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Image
Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 1

New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Leonard Bernstein - conducting



Image
Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 1

Orchestra of the 18th Century
Franz Bruggen - conducting



Image
Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No. 1

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Claudio Abbado - conducting


Three devine listening sessions in the one symphony.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Seán » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 pm

bombasticDarren wrote:Bizet - Symphony in C (Jesus Lopez-Cobos, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Telarc)

Image
Darren, Have you got a copy Solti's Carmen? I don't know anything about opera, however, I do have it and I LOVE it.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Image

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Image

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by ravel30 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:17 pm

I love to discover new music and have/plan to spend some time listening to the following two naxos cds:

First, music from Jeffrey Ryan a Canadian composer. It features the pieces The Linearity of Light, Equilateral and his Symphony no. 1 Fugitive Colours.

Image


Then, some Korean Piano music featuring the pianist Klara Min

Image

Image

Would be happy to hear from any of you if, by any chance, you also have heard these recordings.

Matt.

ContrapunctusIX
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 am

Ravel & Debussy: String Quartets
LaSalle Quartet
DGG

Image

Stravinsky: Symphony in C; Symphony in 3 Movements
Suisse Romande Orchestra & Ernest Ansermet
Decca

Image

Debussy: Suite Bergamasque; Images Books 1 & 2
Zoltan Kocsis
Philips

Image

ContrapunctusIX
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 am

Fergus wrote:Image
I see you finally picked up this disc Fergus. Are you enjoying it thus far? That's one of my favorite Dumay/Pires recordings.

johnQpublic
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by johnQpublic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 pm

'tis the Season ....Day 4

Rolle - Overture to "Christmas Oratorio" (Remy/cpo CD)
Galliculus - In natali domini & Magnificat V Toni (Ruhland/ABC Classics LP)
Schutz - Christmas Oratorio (Grischkat/Turnabout LP)
Image

Jared
CMG's Chief Resident Newbie
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:50 pm
Location: Hereford Cathedral

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Jared » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:17 pm

some works benefit for being reconsidered after a short breathing space... this being one of them:

Image

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by josé echenique » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Image

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:40 pm

ContrapunctusIX wrote:
Fergus wrote:Image
I see you finally picked up this disc Fergus. Are you enjoying it thus far? That's one of my favorite Dumay/Pires recordings.
Yes indeed, I loved it. I found these to be very tuneful and engaging pieces that made for very pleasant listening. The playing was very good as was the recording. This one will be a regular in the CD player :D

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by Fergus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm

On vinyl....

Image

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Bizet - Symphony in C (Jesus Lopez-Cobos, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Telarc)

Image
Darren, Have you got a copy Solti's Carmen? I don't know anything about opera, however, I do have it and I LOVE it.
No, I have Beecham's recording of Carmen only. I do hope you have a copy of Bizet's symphony too - it is pure joy from beginning to end :D

bombasticDarren
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Suffolk, England, UK

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by bombasticDarren » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Walton - Belshazzar's Feast (Thomas Allen/Leonard Slatkin, London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra, RCA)

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests