What are YOU listening to today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

scififan

Re: What are YOU listening to today?

Post by scififan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 am

HMS Pinafore --the version done in 1948 by D'oyly Carte with the inimitable Martyn Green as Sir Joseph Porter.

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 am

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 1

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Yuri Simonov - conducting.

Back to the start.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Henry Purcell
Hail! Bright Cecila

Monteverdi Choir
English Baroque Soloists
Jennifer Smith, Stephen Varcoe, Paul Elliott, Brian Gordon, Ashley Stafford, Elizabeth Wilcock
John Eliot Gardiner - conducting.

I listened to Hail! Bright Cecila in one sitting this evening and enjoyed it very much indeed. I do like Purcell's music.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Johannes Brahms
Violin Concerto in D

Orchestre National de la Radioffusion Française,
Otto Klemperer - conducting.

What a wonderful performance by Oistrakh, one could be mistaken for thinking that Brahms wrote it for him, it is great music-making, I love it.
Seán

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:25 pm

High time I revisited this one:

Mennin
Piano Concerto (1958)
Jn Ogdon, pf
Royal Phil
Igor Buketoff

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Hector Berlioz
Symphonie Fantastique

London Symphony Orchestra
Colin Davis - conducting.
Seán

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 pm

...this live Colorado Symphony broadcast:

Revueltas' Sensemaya
Piazzolla's Four Seasons Of Buenos Aires (w/Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg)
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat May 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Over the past few days I have been enjoying my very own Schubert Fest of his symphonic works starting with a feast of five Firsts.

Philharmonia Hungarica
Peter Maag - conducting.

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Herbert von Karajan - conducting.

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Nikolaus Harnoncourt - conducting.

The Chamber Orchestra of Europe
Claudio Abbado - conducting.

and my favourite performance of the First:
Orchestra of the 18th Century
Frans Bruggen - conducting.

What a marvellous work from a 16 year old, I love it.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sun May 05, 2013 9:31 am

Franz Schubert
Symphony no. 1, 2, 3 & 4

Orchestra of the 18th Century
Frans Bruggen - conducting.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 am

Franz Schubert
Symphony No. 5 & 8

Wiener Philharmoniker
Georg Solti - conducting.

I love the Solti/VPO performance of the Fifth, I find the Eighth less satisfying whereas this is a truly magnificent performance of the "Unfinished":

Franz Schubert
Symphony No. 8

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Karl Böhm - conducting.
Seán

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 pm

This broadcast concert by the Rochester Philharmonic--Arild Remmereit's next-to-last one before he was ceremoniously canned:

Zwilich's Celebration Overture
Hanson's Symphony #1 ("Nordic")
Korngold's Violin Concerto (w/James Ehnes)
Goossens' Tam O'Shanter

Well, that's the gratitude a conductor receives for inventive programming.....
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

scififan

Post by scififan » Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Haydn: Symphony no. 103 "Drum Roll"--Dorati: Philharmonia Hungarica--the second movement in particular is utterly wonderful. The double major-minor variations used for it work their way to a beautiful, rich and very satisfying climax. I think this is one of the finest symphonic slow movements Haydn created.

I found the notes by H.C. Robbins Landon which accompanied the disks especially illuminating.

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue May 07, 2013 3:25 pm

scififan wrote:Haydn: Symphony no. 103 "Drum Roll"--Dorati: Philharmonia Hungarica--the second movement in particular is utterly wonderful. The double major-minor variations used for it work their way to a beautiful, rich and very satisfying climax. I think this is one of the finest symphonic slow movements Haydn created.

I found the notes by H.C. Robbins Landon which accompanied the disks especially illuminating.
The Dorati/Philharmonia Hungarica Haydn box set is a marvellous collection of Haydn's orchestral works, we are indebted to Dorati and the Hungarians for recording all the symphonies, it is a set well worth having.
Seán

cjvinthechair

Post by cjvinthechair » Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm

May be a 'grandmother & eggs' situation, but been spending the afternoon on the fabulous Classiclive site of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra, listening to lovely works by Harri Ahmas (a Lahti player) 1st Symphony, Kalevi Aho 'Gejia', & Erkki-Sven Tuur Accordion Concerto. More to try tomorrow !
So, if you don't all know the site backwards....?!
Clive

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 am

Roberta Invernizzi is back with a delicious recital exploring operas composed in Naples for Faustina Bordoni, Johann Adolf Hasse´s wife and one of the most important sopranos of the first half of the XVIII Century.
The music is exquisite, and even though composers Leonardo Vinci, Nicola Porpora, Domenico Sarro and Francesco Mancini are no longer unknown, most of the music recorded here is new to the gramophone.
As in her previous Vivaldi recital, Invernizzi gives a master class in style, and her adorable personality shines through the varied arias. It is also great to see her working again with La Cappella de´Turchini.
Already one of the finest vocal discs of the year.

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat May 11, 2013 8:09 am

Franz Schubert
Octet in F major

Gaudier Ensemble

Franz Schubert
String Quintet in C major

Brandis Quartett with
Jörg Baumann - cello.
Seán

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sat May 11, 2013 7:47 pm

France must be the last European country that still supports the Arts, and it´s a treat that French labels keep recording obscure but interesting operas from the late XVIII Century and the early XIX Century.
In the past 2 years we have been able to hear for the first time things like Dauvergne´s Ercule Mourant, Johann Christian Bach´s Amadis de Gaule, Grétry´s Andromaque and now Sacchini´s Renaud.
After Gluck retired, the French staged was almost monopolized by Italian composers who wrote operas in French and in the peculiar French style. Piccinni and Sacchini were the most conspicuous.
Marie-Antoinette once declared "Renaud" her favourite opera. Is it that good? Perhaps not if you compare it with Gluck´s Iphigenies, let alone Mozart´s masterpieces, but it is very interesting and it does add to our knowledge of what went on in Paris between Rameau and Grétry.
The performance is excellent of course.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Tchaikovsky's Symphony 3 ("Polish")

....conducted by Beecham
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Beethoven's Fourth (Casals)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 pm

This broadcast concert by the San Francisco Symphony, with guest conductor David Robertson and pianist MarcAndre Hamelin:

Carter's Varitations For Orchestra
Ravel's Piano Concerto For The Left Hand
Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue
Ravel's La Valse
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

Last night.

Dmitry Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5

Concertgebouw Orchestra,
Bernard Haitink - conducting.

This is a fabulous performance of the Fifth, it is full of power, delicacy and warmth, Haitink gets the very best out of the Dutch on this Decca recording from 1982.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:15 am

and today.

Dmitry Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5

USSR State Orchestra,
Evgeny Svetlanov - conducting.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:16 am

Dmitry Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5

Gürzenich-Orchester Köln,
Dmitrij Kitajenko - conducting.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Dmitry Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5

New York Philharmonic Orchestra,
Leonard Bernstein - conducting.
Seán

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:09 pm

That's quite enough Shostakovich 5's for one day.

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 2

New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Leonard Bernstein - conducting.
Seán

scififan

Post by scififan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I have a number of period performances of Vivaldi's Four Seasons but today I returned to the Loveday/Marriner/ASMF performance and--well--it sounded amazingly fresh, elegant, and spontaneously beautiful. I haven't heard it for some time and I was enchanted.

It is such a special recording.

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:48 pm

scififan wrote:I have a number of period performances of Vivaldi's Four Seasons but today I returned to the Loveday/Marriner/ASMF performance and--well--it sounded amazingly fresh, elegant, and spontaneously beautiful. I haven't heard it for some time and I was enchanted.

Well this is my favourite version of the Four Seasons:

And this is the runner-up:
Seán

scififan

Post by scififan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Seán wrote:
scififan wrote:I have a number of period performances of Vivaldi's Four Seasons but today I returned to the Loveday/Marriner/ASMF performance and--well--it sounded amazingly fresh, elegant, and spontaneously beautiful. I haven't heard it for some time and I was enchanted.

Well this is my favourite version of the Four Seasons:

And this is the runner-up:
That Biondi performance is certainly magnificently dramatic and possibly the best {post-Marriner :)} version going. I don't know Jansen's recording but I will soon :) as I can download it from Itunes quite easily and intend to do so.
. . . .
Thanks for mentioning it.

. . . .
BTW American Baroque have an interesting approach to the work. Their recording is on iTunes, but I got my copy (WAV files) from Magnatune.

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Antonio Florio and his Cappella della Pietá de´Turchini introduced us to the glorious music of Francesco Provenzale about 15 years ago with their recording of the sacred opera La Colomba Ferita, a landmark recording when we basically had never heard a note of such XVII Century Neapolitan masters as Caresana and Provenzale.
Since then we have had several recordings of Provenzale´s religious works, but this is the first recording of a comic opera of his, and what a delicious treasure it is!
La Stellidaura Vendicante was composed to entertain the Spanish Viceroy of Naples, El Marqués de Astorga. The title role was sung, and composed for a most fascinating "entertainer" Giulia "La Ciulla" De Caro. I wonder if "ciulla" comes from the Spanish "chula", the pretty one. This woman was said to be extremely beautiful, and even though she started as an actress of straight theater, she later learned to sing and became even more famous as an opera singer. A contemporary chronicler described her as "commediante cantarinola, armonica puttana", or "actress, singer, diva, whore". Whatever her extra curricular activities she must have been an extremely intelligent and enterprising woman. She took a lease on the Teatro di San Bartlomeo the year before the premier of La Stellidaura Vendicante to open the first public opera house in Naples. She also received generous economic support for the theatre from the Viceroy and his brother-in-law, she was said to be the mistress of both! The jealous called the theatre Il Bordello Sostenuto, or the Subsidized Brothel.
La Stellidaura Vendicante was Provenzale´s last published work, the influence of Monteverdi and possibly Cavalli is evident, but Provenzale was a great composer in his own right and one already can hear Italian opera moving forward to Alessandro Scarlatti. Alessandro De Marchi who gave the first modern performance in 1997 knows everything about the score, and with 15 years´experience his conducting is masterly. But most important, like La Colomba Ferita this IS a masterpiece, one of those breathtakingly beautiful Neapolitan treasures that we are fortunate to hear for the first time in 300 years.

scififan

Post by scififan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:00 pm

I've returned to my set of the Haydn Complete Baryton Trios performed by The Esterhazy Ensemble. (21 CDs Brilliant 93907}. These are amazing works! Prince Nikolaus Esterhazy was a fan of the Baryton, insisted that Haydn compose them for his own playing--he was evidently quite good on the instrument--and, most importantly, had all of them bound and preserved in his library.

As well as the 126 Trios, the set includes those Cassations, Duets, and Octets which feature the Baryton and a final appendix CD of Baryton Trios which for one reason or another aren't in the accepted canon. The notes to the set are quite minimal with only a few comments on various compositions, though a useful time line is given as to the three major divisions. Here it is:

Numbers 1-33 were written when the Prince was still a beginner and there is no use of the plucked strings.

Numbers 34-72 make a great deal of use of the plucked strings which are present in all of these except numbers 37 and 38.

Numbers 73-126 show an increasing sophistication. Only 8 have plucking passages but 14 are in tonalities that don't accommodate their use. No. 107 is interesting in that it is the only piece in which there is extended simultaneous bowing and plucking. In all probability this complex technique was acquired later in the development of the Prince's playing technique.

The three stages do provide the listener with a rough guide. Even the pieces in the first stage are worth hearing and in the second and third groups there is hardly a weak piece anywhere.The enclosed notes mention nos.5, 52, 110, and some pleasant pieces I have heard recently are 63, 64, 72, 82, 87, 88, 97 {A birthday piece in 10(!) movements} and 107. But there are so many that are good! The Baryton Octets are also very enjoyable--though the Baryton is rather subdued in them.

scififan

Post by scififan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Listened once again to my rather old CD set of Haydn's Opus 33 String Quartets played by the Weller Quartet. The two Decca CDs also have Op. 1 no 1, and Op. 103 as fillers. They are on Decca 433 691-2 and 433 692-2. I got them first on vinyl and later on compact Disc.

I don't know if they are easily available any more but the Weller Quartet's interpretation is elegant, suave, and quite beautiful. "The Bird' is especially good.

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 "Romantic"
Vienna Philharmonic & Karl Bohm
Decca

scififan

Post by scififan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:07 pm

I finally broke down and downloaded the Complete Mozart Concertos played on period instruments (Malcolm Bilson, John Eliot Gardiner, Engish Baroque Soloists}. I already have the Beethoven Period set done by Robert Levin with the Monteverdi Choir, The Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique & John Eliot Gardiner.

These performances take getting used to but they do grow on one.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 pm

A night or two ago, I finally latched onto that harpsichord concerto by Georg Monn, the one that Arnold Schoenberg "freely transcrbied" for the cello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnYXuYltlqM

Frankly, I fail to hear what was wrong with the original.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

scififan

Post by scififan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:41 pm

I began listening to the Bilson/Gardiner Period performances of Mozart's Piano concertos. I began with one that I've very seldom heard--the Piano concerto no 7 in F major for three pianos. I found it a very pleasant experience. It's not a great masterpiece but the three soloists do get some nice filigree work--though I suspect most of the work goes to the first piano part which would have been played by Mozart.

This was followed on the disc by an absolutely charming Rondo for Piano and Orchestra K 382. The English Baroque Soloists in conjunction with the period fortepiano conveyed wonderful tonal colour and the rhythm had an infectious bounce. If the rest of the set lives up to this section of Disc 1, I'm going to really enjoy it! :D

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:14 pm

"The Harp of Ludovico" with Andrew Lawrence-King [Hyperion 1992]
Sublime......... early morning fog, coffee, introspection.....

Brilliant! I was quite impressed with the sound of these remastered recordings from the 1940s. I am listening/comparing the Budapest String Quartet's different recordings/interpretations at the moment (1940s/51-52 as well as late 50s). Any thoughts on the Budapest String Quartet as an entity? If you haven't heard their 40s recordings they are worthwhile to pursue! Did they record Schubert as well at the time?
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Quartet ... st+quartet
but part of the magnificent Masterworks Heritage Collection (which is a true gem)
http://www.amazon.com/Masterworks-Herit ... k+heritage

Peter

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist

Post by Chalkperson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:24 pm

I have all those Heritage discs, its a very interesting series.The Budapest's are second to none in Beethoven, there is also a M+A series of three discs containing their Beethoven performances at the Library of Congress.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Chalkperson! I presume these are the ones you are referring to? I will definitely check them out as I have been looking for the other 40s recordings. Seems like these are a blend from 40s to 60s. Are the 40s recordings in the M&A the source of the ones in the Musical Heritage series or is it a completely different set of recordings?
Image Image Image
http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-String- ... ng+quartet

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Quartet ... y_m_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Quartet ... pd_sim_m_2

premont

Post by premont » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

deleted post
Last edited by premont on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

premont

Post by premont » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

deleted double post

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Barati's Chamber Concerto (Ormandy)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Franck's Symphony in D Mnor & Liszt's Les Preludes (Boult)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:36 pm

The Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet has very much surpassed my expectations. Great sound, playful and vibrant, passionate musicianship. This Schubert octet is somewhat new to me, but I think I have fallen for the VKQ's interpretation. A very joyful listening experience.

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 am

Image Image Image

Telemann's Paris quartets were delightful as always. However, last night Davis's Sibelius #3 & #5 with LSO did not thrill me. I am usually quite fond of Symphony #5, but had a hard time with the way it came out with the LSO. I can't quite put my finger on the reason. It seemed shallow in comparison with other interpretations. A lack of force. I had to turn to Jarvi with the Gothenburg SO to compensate and my mood improved quite a bit.

Peter <------- Sibelius Maniac

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Brahms' Third (Fjeldstad)
Scarlatti-Tommasini's Good-Humored Ladies (Lane)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Liszt's Faust Symphony (Welser-Most)
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 am

Wallingford wrote:Liszt's Faust Symphony (Welser-Most)
How did you like it? I have started to explore Liszt's orchestral works a bit, but tend to bounce back to the piano works (Annes.. etc). Would you recommend this one?

P

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:15 am

Wallingford wrote:Liszt's Faust Symphony (Welser-Most)
How did you like it? I have started to explore Liszt's orchestral works a bit, but tend to bounce back to the piano works (Annes.. etc). Would you recommend this one?

P

Dimma

Post by Dimma » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 am

An attempt to embrace the realm of the harpsichord. The United Archives have really put forward a nice set. Landowska's instrument is quite different compared to what I have encountered so far. Still, it definitely seems like an acquired taste. But... I used to say that about Scarlatti (on piano of course) which I now very much enjoy. Am I alone in my solo harpsichord anguish/despair?

* Chalkie probably loves the harpsichord... :shock: *

P

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist

Post by Chalkperson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

Dimma wrote:* Chalkie probably loves the harpsichord... :shock: *

P
Absolutely I do, in fact I play a disc from Scott Ross's Complete Scarlatti Box most mornings, that box is one of the supreme achievements in recorded music.

I have hundreds of harpsichord discs, but I prefer the light fingered touch of say, Kenneth Gilbert, to the thundering sound of copulating skeletons that Wanda produces.

It is indeed an acquired taste, but once acquired it makes for tasty listening.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson