Stokowski: question regarding recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Stokowski: question regarding recordings

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:42 pm

My files appear to be in disarray, I suspect. Maybe someone knows immediately ...

[1] Did Stokowski record Beethoven's Symphony No. 8? If so, label and number (on CD or LP) if possible.

[2] Did Stokowski record Shostakovich's Symphony No. 10? If so, label and number (on CD or LP) if possible.

Molto grazie!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

pizza

Re: Stokowski: question regarding recordings

Post by pizza » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:57 pm

Lance wrote:My files appear to be in disarray, I suspect. Maybe someone knows immediately ...

[2] Did Stokowski record Shostakovich's Symphony No. 10? If so, label and number (on CD or LP) if possible.

Molto grazie!
I know of one Stokowski recording of the Shostakovich 10th; a 1966 performance with the Chicago SO is included in "The First One Hundred Years", a twelve-CD set issued in commemoration of the orchestra’s centennial.

piston

Post by piston » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 pm

<<<CHICAGO SYMPHONY
These discs are available only through the Chicago Symphony. I do not have the address at hand. I am also not certain if they are still available. If they are I recommend them to all of you. The sound in all the discs is excellent and the contents intriguing. The fact that the Shostakovich is (was?) only available in a 12 disc set may limit its value to you.

Beethoven: Symphony #8 Chicago Symphony Orchestra STEREO 3/24/66. [Live performance. Part of a two disc set available from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. also contains live performances by Giulini, Szell, Ansermet, Abbado, Ormandy, etc.] From the Archives: Vol. 5.

Shostakovich: Symphony #10 Chicago Symphony Orchestra Vol. 11 [From a live performance in 1968. Part of a 12 disc set issued by the Chicago Symphony in 1990] Stereo. This is one of the finest interpretations of this symphony. It was available on a Japanese Stokowski Society LP some years ago, but that disc was not correctly transferred. In it, and not in the CD, is a long ovation at the end. The set also includes interesting performances by every one who was anyone who conducted the Chicago Symphony from Frederick Stock. There is even a piece conducted by Stock which was written by the first conductor, Theodore Thomas.>>>

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:40 pm

Piston and Pizza have it covered...he recorded both with the CSO in the 60s.

Beethoven -
Symphony No.8 in F major op.93
Chicago Symphony Orchestra 24/03/66 [live]
JLSS 0020/21 *33; Chicago Symphony Orchestra CSO 90/2 *CD

I've not heard the Beethoven 8, but the Shost #10 is my favorite performance of the piece - and the competition is fierce indeed.

Stoki's 3/66 version just crackles with excitement, drama and power...the orchestra sounds fabulous. the live concert must have been really something...

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:51 pm

piston wrote:<<<CHICAGO SYMPHONY
These discs are available only through the Chicago Symphony. I do not have the address at hand. I am also not certain if they are still available. If they are I recommend them to all of you. The sound in all the discs is excellent and the contents intriguing. The fact that the Shostakovich is (was?) only available in a 12 disc set may limit its value to you.

Beethoven: Symphony #8 Chicago Symphony Orchestra STEREO 3/24/66. [Live performance. Part of a two disc set available from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. also contains live performances by Giulini, Szell, Ansermet, Abbado, Ormandy, etc.] From the Archives: Vol. 5.

Shostakovich: Symphony #10 Chicago Symphony Orchestra Vol. 11 [From a live performance in 1968. Part of a 12 disc set issued by the Chicago Symphony in 1990] Stereo. This is one of the finest interpretations of this symphony. It was available on a Japanese Stokowski Society LP some years ago, but that disc was not correctly transferred. In it, and not in the CD, is a long ovation at the end. The set also includes interesting performances by every one who was anyone who conducted the Chicago Symphony from Frederick Stock. There is even a piece conducted by Stock which was written by the first conductor, Theodore Thomas.>>>
Yes, its still available. You don't need to know the street address if you order online @ http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=4,1,3,7,2&productid=2093
It has 49 performances by 20 conductors. Besides the Stoky Shosty 10th, highlights include Stock conducting Walton's Scapino Overture, Toch's Pinocchio Overture, the Brahms 3rd, & Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks, Rodzinski's Mendelssohn 3rd, Kubelik's Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphses on themes of Weber, his Roussel 3rd and Mussorgsky's Pictures, James Levine's Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms, Reiner's Prokofiev 5th, Gould's Miaskovsky Symphony 21, Martinon's Mahler 10th (Deryck Cooke's complete performing edition), a wonderful 2:33 version of Fred Fisher's song Chicago with Benny Goodman, Morton Gould conducting, Leinsdorf conducting the wind ensemble version of Weill's Little Three Penny Music Suite & Ruggles Angels, Barenboim's Scriabin Poem of Ecstacy, Shulamit Ran's Concerto for Orch cond by Barenboim, Solti cond Kodaly's Psalmus Hungaricus, Mozart's Sym 25, & Lutoslawski's 3rd Sym. It is well worth the $195.00 price.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Thank you, all ... I found that I DO have them in my collection after all. I cannot stress the importance of COMPLETE cataloguing! With these large boxed sets, sometimes, in the interest of time when you acquire the set, I just list the conductors and, as time goes by, one begins to forget what is in those big sets. It really does pay to do the complete job in cataloguing. As Piston and others noted, the Stokowski/Beethoven Symphony No. 8 is in a two-CD set called "Guests in the House" [CSO 90/2]. Other conductors in this set include Ormandy, Leonard Slatkin, Claudio Abbado, Schippers, Giulini, Szell, Ansermet, Leinsdorf and Charles Much.

These sets have, indeed, been beautifully remastered and are worth their weight in platinum. Some of the earlier things the Chicago Symphony issued (as fundraisers) only appeared on LP; it would have been nice to have everything on the convenience and sonic quality of the compact disc.

I knew I could depend on you CMGers to point me in the right direction. Again, my sincere thank you.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]