Shostakovich Symphonies/ Rozhdestvensky

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

pizza

Shostakovich Symphonies/ Rozhdestvensky

Post by pizza » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:28 pm

I needed this set like a bad case of influenza but I couldn't resist a bargain. This BMG/Melodyia set of the complete symphonies plus other orchestral works was in a cut-out bin, sealed and unplayed, and at about four bucks a CD for 14 CDs I didn't think twice. Now all I have to do is find the time to listen. I've always found Rozhdestvensky to be fairly competent and sometimes even brilliant, as he was in his recording of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances.

So far, I've heard the 15th and found it to be as good as most that I've heard, Ormandy excepted, but the recorded sound isn't quite up to par. Anyone familiar with this set?

gfweis

Post by gfweis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:29 pm

I think you got a deal indeed. I haven't heard all 15 of the Rozhdy's, but I've got the 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,and 12 on a variety of Melodiya and Olympia cds. I think the 9 & 10 are really at or near the top. On my cds, there's a rather large hall-reverb picked up (it's not a lean sound, like Mravinsky often got in Leningrad), and there seems to be some spot-lighting of orchestral sections, which gives a slightly artificial quality to the sound; but Rozhdy catches me up with great atmosphere and tempi and inflections, and I soon forget about the sonics. I think he had a real feel for Shostakovich.
Greg Weis

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:58 am

Pizza,

Are those the same as the early 80s digital recordings? I look for the early JVC/japan issues. I've seen the other ones but I have not bought any.

15 is indeed great, it was the first one I bought. 5 is also good... I think he gets the bombastic humor just right.

In fact I like all that I have heard - but I don't know if they are the same recordings?

Gregg

pizza

Post by pizza » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:10 am

Gregg wrote:Pizza,

Are those the same as the early 80s digital recordings? I look for the early JVC/japan issues. I've seen the other ones but I have not bought any.

15 is indeed great, it was the first one I bought. 5 is also good... I think he gets the bombastic humor just right.

In fact I like all that I have heard - but I don't know if they are the same recordings?

Gregg
Gregg -- The notes indicate they were recorded throughout the '80s and as late as '91. The symphonies are performed by the USSR Ministry of Culture SO, and some of the orchestral works are by the Moscow Phil. O. and Leningrad PO. Some are DDD and others ADD.

pizza

Post by pizza » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 am

While browsing through some reviews of Rozhdestvensky's BMG/Melodiya recording of the 4th Symphony, I came across this review of the Praga/Le Chant du Monde Shostakovich 25th Anniversary Edition release. Shades of the Joyce Hatto scandal with a slightly different twist! :shock:

http://www.dschjournal.com/reviews/misattrib.htm

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:12 am

pizza wrote: The notes indicate they were recorded throughout the '80s and as late as '91. The symphonies are performed by the USSR Ministry of Culture SO, and some of the orchestral works are by the Moscow Phil. O. and Leningrad PO. Some are DDD and others ADD.
Sorry for the delay... I hate to presume, but some at least some of them must be the same. I don't know if a complete set was recorded/released by JVC/Japan? The CDs don't come around that often.

Another set that I might pick up if my site ever gets any funding and I can pay myself is Svetlanov. Some people grew up with the set, I've never given the recordings a chance.

He has a fantastic Rachmaninov sym set, that's on my wish list too.