Best Mendelssohn Complete String Symphonies?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Best Mendelssohn Complete String Symphonies?

Post by Lance » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:42 am

I've always had a passion for these infrequently performed string symphonies by Felix Mendelssohn. They range from short works of around seven-plus minutes or so to over a half hour and everything in between. Certain ones have more notariety than others but they all make for interesting and enlightening listening in comparison toMendelssohn's full-fledged symphonic works, which are also high on my list of great listening.

What is the opinion on the BIS 4-CD set, issued by Musical Heritage Society [5481750], or by BIS themselves? These were published between 1993 and 1998 and performed by the New Sinfonietta Amsterdam under Lev Markiz's direction. I recently received this set as a gift from a collector who had an extra copy. Naturally, I didn't refuse it! :)

And what about other editions of these symphonies? Who has been staying close to these symphonies?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Lance - I, too, oftimes enjoy some of the Mendelssohn String Symphones. But I wonder if it is because, as I listen, I marvel at Mendelssohn's youthful genius or if it is due to the music itself. I imagine it is the former.

Anyway, I would recommend, if you can find them, those done by Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra - originally on the Berlin label.

Also, I have one (I think there were more) recording on the Claves label, by the German Chamber Academy of Neuss - very well done.

Gurn Blanston

Post by Gurn Blanston » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:14 pm

I have one disk by Concerto Köln that is excellent. I don't know if they ever recorded the balance of them, but if they did, it is a worthwhile investment. Period instrument is my only interest, and Concerto Köln is topnotch. :)

8)

PS - #1, 4, 6, 7 & 12 are on that disk, on Teldec.
Regards,
Gurn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's my opinion, I may be wrong
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
- HL Mencken

Brahms

Post by Brahms » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Gurn Blanston wrote: Period instrument is my only interest
What about food, water, sex, money, happiness, love, health? No interest in those?

Gurn Blanston

Post by Gurn Blanston » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Brahms wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote: Period instrument is my only interest
What about food, water, sex, money, happiness, love, health? No interest in those?
Pale in comparison... ;)

8)
Regards,
Gurn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's my opinion, I may be wrong
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
- HL Mencken

anasazi

Post by anasazi » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:39 am

I've not heard any of these works live yet, but I do have a DG CD of 8, 9 and 10 performed by The Orpheus Chamber orchestra and I enjoy that CD quite a lot.

Sorry, I don't have an opinion of the BIS set.
"Take only pictures, leave only footprints" - John Muir.