Paul Juon - the Russian Brahms

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Febnyc

Paul Juon - the Russian Brahms

Post by Febnyc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:26 am

More and more recordings of the music of Paul Juon (1872-1940) are appearing - rescuing this eminently worthwhile composer from obscurity.

Juon was born in Moscow, into a Swiss-German family. Most of his adult life was spent in Berlin and, later in retirement, in Vevey, Switzerland, where he died.

His compositions combine the elements of German (European, perhaps?) romanticism and the rhythms, feelings and melodies of Russian folk music - a winning combination for this listener.

I've found mostly recordings of Juon's chamber works - although he wrote four symphonies, none of them appear to have been recorded. However, the chamber pieces are excellent.

I recently listened to a Musique Suisse disc which includes Juon's gorgeous Rhapsody for Violin, Viola, Cello and Piano. This is a deep, dark-hued full-bodied chamber work which, for anyone who enjoys this sort of stuff, will prove riveting. The other work on the disc is a Piano Quartet - lighter, more intimate and songlike than the Rhapsody but nevertheless equally as masterful.

If you're looking for some new experiences in your music listening - give Juon a try.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Paul Juon - the Russian Brahms

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:32 am

Febnyc wrote: [snipped] If you're looking for some new experiences in your music listening - give Juon a try.
Hi Frank:

Nice suggestion. Can you be specific as to compositions you recommend, label and catalogue number. I would be interested hearing some of Juon's material. I did a quick check to see if anything came up in my data base and I found a couple of English CDs on the Four Hands music label as performed by duo-pianists Dagul & Beyer. It may be the same composer.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:27 pm

I've got (preserved on CD) a late-20s 78 of pianist OLGA SAMAROFF playng Juon's Naiads At The Spring......delightful little piece.
Last edited by Wallingford on Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:44 pm

Lance:

Specifically - the disc I mentioned in my opening post is:

Paul Juon - Piano Quartet Op.50/Rhapsody for Violin, Viola, Cello & Piano Op.37 - Musique Suisse MGB CD6244

In addition, you might wish to try a 2-disc set of various chamber works, including a marvelous Piano Trio and a "Trio-Caprice," among other pieces. Ensemble is the Altenberg Trio Wien and this is on Vanguard 99133.

There also is a CD of Juon's "Triple Concerto" and other works: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... =579509857. I have not heard these works. But will remedy that ASAP.

Enjoy the listening!

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:10 pm

interesting - my Trio - clarinet, Basson, piano - has been playing a Juon work quite regularly for a number of years - Trio Miniature -

its actually a 4 mvt work compiled from a couple of different Juon works...
yes, lots of Brahms, Dvorak, some late Russian romantic touches...
good piece, well-written, and always an audience favorite..
we recorded it on disc a while back...

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:35 pm

Is the disc comercially available? I mean - hearing a Juon work performed by our own resident bassoonist - what could be more exotic?

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Febnyc wrote:Is the disc comercially available?
no, not commercially, we ran off a bunch of copies to use as samplers, etc....

Brahms

Re: Paul Juon - the Russian Brahms

Post by Brahms » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:49 pm

Febnyc wrote: -- although he wrote four symphonies, none of them appear to have been recorded. However, the chamber pieces are excellent.
These 4 symphonies merit investigation .........

Jack Kelso

Post by Jack Kelso » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:14 am

Yes, this composer sounds interesting.....but he's is NOT "the Russian Brahms".

That designation has always belonged to Serge Taneyev (listen to his Fourth Symphony, opus 12!).

Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning