** CMG MEETUP ** 10-FEB-2007 Update.

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Which menu option do you prefer?

The $52 menu selection
5
42%
The $62 menu selection
7
58%
 
Total votes: 12

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

** CMG MEETUP ** 10-FEB-2007 Update.

Post by slofstra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:34 am

It's official.

The first CMG meetup of 2008 will be held Saturday, February 23, 2008 in NYC.

Venue to be announced, somewhere near the Lincoln Center.

Time 4.00 PM for cocktails, 5:00 for dinner.

Afterward, we plan to attend a concert presented at the Lincoln Center featuring Stephen Hough and the Russian National Orchestra under Vladimir Jurowski.

Info and booking here: http://www.lincolncenter.org/show_event ... code=14215

I'm anticipating a group of 10-20 including spouses/ guests based on early interest, but we need to know if you're coming so we can book accordingly.

Please PM either 'jppiano' or 'slofstra'. Let us know if your plans are TENTATIVE or CONFIRMED. Also if you're flying SOLO or bringing a GUEST.

If you're not comfortable with using the PM system, you can also post your plans on this thread.

Sunday, February 24

Tentative. Ralph will be hosting a Sunday luncheon (dim sum) followed by a tour in Chinatown. Please PM Ralph if you are interested.

We have 22 attendees - only 1 is tentative as of 15 Jan

I'll update this notice as we obtain further details. We can use the thread to continue discussion or answer questions.

07 Jan: Please see end of thread for info on the menu selections
15 Jan: Payment instructions have been PM'd to all attendees
07 Feb: Final arrangements
10 Feb: Discuss name of meetup
Last edited by slofstra on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 13 times in total.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9794
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by karlhenning » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:03 am

Cool. Watch it fly!
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:15 am

I've booked my concert tickets for that evening. I don't know how long they'll last. In our town, once the series is sold, tickets move gradually until you get close to the date. But this is New York. If you want cheap seats, there are few left!

I had to decide between first row Orchestra and fourth row First Balcony. I chose the Orchestra. From photographs, the stage height looks manageable, and even if the acoustics are unbalanced in the first row, I think I'll enjoy the event aspects (as opposed to musical aspects) from that vantage. And I think we are still left side somewhat.

The seat row numbering in Orchestra goes A to Z, followed by AA to SS. (As opposed to some halls which use the double lettering for the front rows).

walboi
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:31 am

Post by walboi » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:30 am

Tempting, but I live to far away from the Big Apple huh? 8)

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 am

I'll be there and I just bought a ticket for the concert.

I suggest moving dinner up to 5PM. Service isn't always fast and we want time to chat before the concert. Panevino in Avery Fisher Hall is a great place for a group to have dinner before the concert and be right there.

I would also love to host a dim sum luncheon in Chinatown on Sunday followed by a walking tour.

Note: The weather in late February is totally unpredictable.
Last edited by Ralph on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:11 pm

walboi wrote:Tempting, but I live to far away from the Big Apple huh? 8)
In 2009 we should do the Concertgebouw.

I changed the dinner time, as per Ralph' suggestion. I'll let 'jppiano' chime in on the venue; I will go with the flow.
Last edited by slofstra on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9794
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by karlhenning » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Ralph wrote:Note: The weather in late February is totally unpredictable.
But at least it's not Buffalo.

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Average temperatures for that time of year are around freezing (max 3 to 7 C, min -4 to -1 C) with about a 35% chance of moisture (over 1/1000 in) on any given day.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17639
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Ralph wrote:I'll be there and I just bouht a ticket for the concert.
Me too...i'm also in the front row... :D

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:03 pm

I just bought my ticket.

And if I may also chime in on dinner, Ralph, whatever that Chinese place you took my friend Marty and me to a couple years ago ....... it was maybe two or three blocks north of Lincoln Center, I think on Broadway.....was very good.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

slofstra wrote:
walboi wrote:Tempting, but I live to far away from the Big Apple huh? 8)
In 2009 we should do the Concertgebouw.
It may have to wait until the following season. They generally hit NYC every other season. Jansons rotates touring with the Bavarian Radio Symphony and the Concertgebouw. He should be at Carnegie with the BRSO next season. The Vienna Philharmonic plays Carnegie every season though. I try to see the VPO, BPO or Concertgebouw just about every season. The BPO is also generally here every other season.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Barry Z wrote:
slofstra wrote:
walboi wrote:Tempting, but I live to far away from the Big Apple huh? 8)
In 2009 we should do the Concertgebouw.
It may have to wait until the following season. They generally hit NYC every other season. Jansons rotates touring with the Bavarian Radio Symphony and the Concertgebouw. He should be at Carnegie with the BRSO next season. The Vienna Philharmonic plays Carnegie every season though. I try to see the VPO, BPO or Concertgebouw just about every season. The BPO is also generally here every other season.
No, I meant the building. walboi is in Holland. But thanks for the info all the same.

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:20 pm

slofstra wrote:
Barry Z wrote:
slofstra wrote:
walboi wrote:Tempting, but I live to far away from the Big Apple huh? 8)
In 2009 we should do the Concertgebouw.
It may have to wait until the following season. They generally hit NYC every other season. Jansons rotates touring with the Bavarian Radio Symphony and the Concertgebouw. He should be at Carnegie with the BRSO next season. The Vienna Philharmonic plays Carnegie every season though. I try to see the VPO, BPO or Concertgebouw just about every season. The BPO is also generally here every other season.
No, I meant the building. walboi is in Holland. But thanks for the info all the same.
:oops: :oops: Well, that's a great hall. I had the pleasure of attending a couple concerts there in 2000 and 2001.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Febnyc
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Stamford CT

Post by Febnyc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Please add another chair at the dinner table. However, not interested in the concert - just meeting the CMGers will do for me.

Also, (pace Ralph) I'd vote against the Panevino restaurant in Avery Fisher. I think it's uncomfortable and rushed - and the food isn't so great. There are plenty of better venues close enough - depending on what kind of cuisine is acceptable to the group. (There's a lovely Indian place a few blocks away.)

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:14 pm

I have three suggestions for a dinner spot before the concert, one across the street from Lincoln Center, one three blocks away and one five blocks away. My wife and I have eaten in all three and they're all quite good and reasonably priced for NYC.

Perhaps those folks who are attending could check their websites to get info on their menus and pricing.


La Fortuna..LaFeniche ..and Josephina.

There is a pre-concert lecture that night at 6:45 p.m. in the Stanley Kaplan Penthouse. I'd personally rather spend my time with everybody before the concert begins.

My wife and I will be there.

steinway (cliftwood)

RebLem
Posts: 8763
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Post by RebLem » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:25 pm

karlhenning wrote:
Ralph wrote:Note: The weather in late February is totally unpredictable.
But at least it's not Buffalo. Cheers, ~Karl
Hey, guy, watch it! My niece is a curator @ the Amherst Museum, and she and her husband live in Amherst, right next to Buffalo.

I won't be coming. I just bought a car, and just can't afford the expense.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 pm

Barry Z wrote:I just bought my ticket.

And if I may also chime in on dinner, Ralph, whatever that Chinese place you took my friend Marty and me to a couple years ago ....... it was maybe two or three blocks north of Lincoln Center, I think on Broadway.....was very good.
*****

I think you're talking about Ollie's. It's not my favorite and they really don't have room for a large party (more than six or so).
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:38 pm

A real New York experience would be Gray's Papaya at 72d and Amsterdam. And the price is really right!
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

ch1525
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by ch1525 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:37 pm

Woohoo! I've pretty much resolved that I am going to come! I'm excited! It will be my first trip to New York.

I think I will be attempting to purchase my concert tickets this weekend. (It will be a nice study break from Biochemistry and Psychopharmacology :( )

I'm certain I want to see Brendel, Hough and Ohlsson. What else I'm not sure yet. Any advice on seating would be much appreciated. I have no idea what would be good seating in Carnegie and Avery Fisher. Poor me, I'm used to getting into the Louisiana Philharmonic concerts here for a $10 student ticket!

Donald Isler
Posts: 2944
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 11:01 am
Contact:

Post by Donald Isler » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:23 pm

Even though it's still early, it may be hard to get seating at Gray's Papaya.
Donald Isler

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Donald Isler wrote:Even though it's still early, it may be hard to get seating at Gray's Papaya.
Besides; everyone knows Papaya King is better. :wink:
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Ralph wrote:
Barry Z wrote:I just bought my ticket.

And if I may also chime in on dinner, Ralph, whatever that Chinese place you took my friend Marty and me to a couple years ago ....... it was maybe two or three blocks north of Lincoln Center, I think on Broadway.....was very good.
*****

I think you're talking about Ollie's. It's not my favorite and they really don't have room for a large party (more than six or so).
I think I liked them because they have the baked pork buns :wink: .
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Madame
Posts: 3552
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 am

Post by Madame » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 am

RebLem wrote:
I won't be coming. I just bought a car, and just can't afford the expense.
Now, if you'd bought a Prius, you could do both :)

Wallingford
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Post by Wallingford » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 am

Like I said, I couldn't make this one--my ideal time would've been circa late-Jan./early-Feb., when the Baltimore Symphony & the Concertgebouw are in town (I would've also taken in the Little Orchestra Society program that's playing in that timeframe).
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Teresa B
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am
Location: Tampa, Florida

Post by Teresa B » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 am

Madame wrote:
RebLem wrote:
I won't be coming. I just bought a car, and just can't afford the expense.
Now, if you'd bought a Prius, you could do both :)
Ha, I did, and I plan on it! :D Please reserve 2 spots for me, dinner and concert.
I just booked the concert tickets, and got the first balcony, 4th row, just left of center. The only ones that popped up when I tried Orchestra section were in Row A. I don't know if they have others, but I prefer not having the conductor's sweat on MY brow. :)

Teresa
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." ~ The Cheshire Cat

Author of the novel "Creating Will"

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence
Posts: 9794
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:12 am
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Post by karlhenning » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:12 am

RebLem wrote:Hey, guy, watch it! My niece is a curator @ the Amherst Museum, and she and her husband live in Amherst, right next to Buffalo.
I did my doctoral work in Buffalo; I paid my dues, and I ain't goin' back! :-)

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 am

For those who may be NYC earlier or a bit later than the Saturday concert, the following musical events are available:

Midori,violin
Anthony McGill,clarinet
Demarre McGill,Flute
Pascual Forteza,clarinet
David Kim, viola
Johannes Moser, cello
Paolo Bordignon, harpsichord
Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano

Bach:Trio Sonata
Schnittke:Quasi una sonata
Schnittke:Septet for flute, two clarinetes, violin, viola, cello & organ
Shostalovich: Piano Quintet

Sunday, Feb.24, 5 p.m.
Lincoln Center

MM Artists

Colin Jacobsen, violin
Jesse Mills, violin
Nicholas Cords, viola
Edward Arron, cello
Andrew Armstrong, piano

Beethoven String Quintet, Op.104
Wuorinen, String Quintet, 1994
Dvorak String Quintet ,Op.97

Friday, Feb.22, 2008
Metropolitan Museum, 8 p.m.
Tickets, 35.00 all seats

Russian National Orchestra
Vladimir Jurowski
Garrick Ohlsson, piano

Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto
Tchaikovsky Symphony # 6
Sunday, Feb.24, 3 p.m.
Lincoln Center

NYC is Mecca for great musical events. :D

Febnyc
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Stamford CT

Post by Febnyc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:30 am

On Sunday, Feb 24th, the Manhattan School of Music (not too far from Lincoln Center) has a concert at 3 pm: Philippe Entremont conducting works by Carter, Rachmaninoff and Stravinsky. There is a piano soloist listed, so I'd guess they're doing a Rach Concerto.

Although the website doesn't mention it, usually these concerts are free. And the MSM symphony orchestra is excellent!

Also, the Mannes College of Music (even closer to Lincoln Center!) has free performances on the Friday evening (chamber music) and the Sunday afternoon/evening (orchestral).

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 am

RebLem wrote:
karlhenning wrote:
Ralph wrote:Note: The weather in late February is totally unpredictable.
But at least it's not Buffalo. Cheers, ~Karl
Hey, guy, watch it! My niece is a curator @ the Amherst Museum, and she and her husband live in Amherst, right next to Buffalo.

I won't be coming. I just bought a car, and just can't afford the expense.
You could always drive - in your new car. :) :) :)

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:35 am

steinway wrote:For those who may be NYC earlier or a bit later than the Saturday concert, the following musical events are available:

Midori,violin
Anthony McGill,clarinet
Demarre McGill,Flute
Pascual Forteza,clarinet
David Kim, viola
Johannes Moser, cello
Paolo Bordignon, harpsichord
Marc-Andre Hamelin, piano

Bach:Trio Sonata
Schnittke:Quasi una sonata
Schnittke:Septet for flute, two clarinetes, violin, viola, cello & organ
Shostalovich: Piano Quintet

Sunday, Feb.24, 5 p.m.
Lincoln Center

MM Artists

Colin Jacobsen, violin
Jesse Mills, violin
Nicholas Cords, viola
Edward Arron, cello
Andrew Armstrong, piano

Beethoven String Quintet, Op.104
Wuorinen, String Quintet, 1994
Dvorak String Quintet ,Op.97

Friday, Feb.22, 2008
Metropolitan Museum, 8 p.m.
Tickets, 35.00 all seats

Russian National Orchestra
Vladimir Jurowski
Garrick Ohlsson, piano

Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto
Tchaikovsky Symphony # 6
Sunday, Feb.24, 3 p.m.
Lincoln Center

NYC is Mecca for great musical events. :D
Sunday Just to remind everyone of Ralph's offer for a tour of Chinatown after a 'dim sum' luncheon. It'd be good to get an indication of interest so that he knows.

Then the Midori concert is at 5 PM. Thanks for pointing out, Steinway, that Hamelin is on piano, and I would guess that he's there for the Shostakovich Piano Quintet.

Anyway, that seals the deal for me. I just got 2 tickets. (I like Midori, too)

Also, let's not forget Carnegie Hall or the Met.

WED the 20th
Brendel at Carnegie !!

FRI the 22nd -
Otello at the Met
Kronos Quartet at Carnegie Hall

SAT the 23rd -
Carmen (matinee) at the Met
Manon Lescaut at the Met

SUN the 24th -
Boulez/ Messiaen at Carnegie Hall - panel discussions, talks (1 to 5:30)

MON the 25th
Barber of Seville at the Met
Boulez/ Uchida/ CSO at Carnegie Hall/ Bartok PC 3 !!!

TUE the 26th
Otello at the Met
k.d. lang at the Allen Room (she's Canadian - you knew that - from Alberta)
Boulez/ Susan Graham / CSO at Carnegie Hall

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:34 am

I made a count this morning and we have 11 members confirmed attendance at this time (3 Nov). With a few tentatives, and a couple who have indicated interest, we should have a nice size group of 15-20. There's always room for one more though.

:) :P

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Picked up our tickets for the Feb. concert today. Not too many good seats left, according to the box office person.

Any idea who the attendees will be?

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 am

steinway wrote:Picked up our tickets for the Feb. concert today. Not too many good seats left, according to the box office person.

Any idea who the attendees will be?
(I have answered by PM).

ch1525
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by ch1525 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:04 pm

I just bought my ticket to Alfred Brendel on Feb 20th! How is the Dress Circle in Carnegie Hall? It was the best I could get left of center.

So count me in as confirmed for the meetup! My uncle may or may not be coming with me. I should know fairly soon, though.

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:47 pm

ch1525 wrote:I just bought my ticket to Alfred Brendel on Feb 20th! How is the Dress Circle in Carnegie Hall? It was the best I could get left of center.

So count me in as confirmed for the meetup! My uncle may or may not be coming with me. I should know fairly soon, though.
That's great, Chad.

I'm starting to think we should book the specific venue. A few suggestions have been made on the thread. I'd like to book for 20 right now. (Hopefully, the restaurant can adapt if we go up, and they'll have to adapt if we should go down a little).

The concern has been raised that restaurants very close to Lincoln Center may not be able to accomodate us. I've noticed that a little farther up, say 71st W and Columbia area there are restaurants that could book a larger party.

Edit: so if anyone has further input, let me know. I'll do some further research and within a few days enumerate some choices, and put it to a vote.
Last edited by slofstra on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyril Ignatius
Posts: 1035
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:14 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Post by Cyril Ignatius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:17 pm

This sounds like a great event in the unfolding. I can't personally commit at this point - late February is somewhere in the midst of the teaching semester, and it looks like a double overload semester at that. But I will look into this.. I have a brother in the Bronx insisting I come back and visit New York. And the music list above looks excellent.
Cyril Ignatius

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Post by Ralph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:23 pm

To make the meal even more special I have ordered this dessert. We'll split the cost-the more who come, the less it will cost each of us.



Image
For the last few years, the Golden Opulence, a $1,000 ice cream sundae, has reigned supreme as the priciest dessert at Serendipity 3 in New York. Now Stephen Bruce, owner of Serendipity 3, has gotten himself a Guinness world record for the most expensive dessert. The dessert emporium teamed up with jeweler Euphoria New York to create the "Frrozen Haute Chocolate," a $25,000 chocolate sundae. The new dessert is made from a blend of 28 cocoas from all around the world and is infused with five grams of edible 23-karat gold and served in a goblet lined with edible gold. It is topped with whipped cream, more gold and a side of La Madeline au Truffle from Knipschildt Chocolatier, which sells for $2,600 a pound. It even comes with souvenirs, an 18K gold bracelet with a carat's worth of diamonds that rests at the base of the goblet and a gold spoon set with white and chocolate-colored diamonds. It makes yesterday's $1,000 bagel look positively simple by comparison.


*****

I've had this three or four times and it's worth the price!
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:47 am

Let's see, Chalkie could hawk his stereo, I could sell my car, and you could do extra guest lectures as a warm up act for Hilary after she loses the nomination, ...

and we might be able to pay for ....

isn't this the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen?

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17639
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:45 pm

No Henry, I am not hocking my stereo, but I did photograph a box of tiny chocolates that costs $1,000 yesterday...if I could figure out how to post pictures from a Mac here I would show you them..any advice... :?

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:32 am

If you're still looking for a place to meet and dine, I think that Josephina, 1900 Broadway, is the ideal venue.

It's directly accross the street from the Lincoln Center, has excellent food, is reasonably priced and is large enough to accomodate a group of our size.

Their Phone number is 212-799-1000.

Their menu can been seen on the internet.

Jppiano
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 am
Contact:

Lincoln Center Eats

Post by Jppiano » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 am

One place that is exceptionally good and can definitely accomodate our party is Shun Lee Palace on 65th and Broadway (one of the best chinese places in the city). Another very good place is Fiorello's Roman Cafe on 64th and Bdway. I feel that Josepina has rather weird cuisine that may not appeal to everybody. For a great lowbrow place that can hold this teeming crowd, we can go to Old John's on 67th St. between Broadway and Amsterdam. Then, of course, there are all the hyper-expensive places in the Time Warner building (Per Se, Masa) - do I understand that Ralph is picking up the check (to hand it to the person next to him)?............:)

Joe P.

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Here is a site with information on most of the restaurants in the west 60s, including reviews and links for menus. If you go to the home page, you can search by neighborhood and cuisine. They have most of NYCs restaurants. I also use their Philly page:

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?neighborhoodid=11

We'd have better restaurant options if post-dinner concert were at Carnegie Hall. The west 50s are full of good restaurants of all types and price ranges.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Shun Lee is terrific, but it's rather expensive. Fiorello's is also wonderful, but it's a mob scene at that time, and I don't believe they have a place to seperate us from the regular crowd.

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Keep those suggestions coming. There is no big rush on this. Next week I'll call or email all candidates to ensure they can accommodate our group in principle. Then we'll short-list 3 feasible candidates and put it to a vote. Sounds like a rigamarole, but the web makes this kind of thing easy.

In other news, everyone will be very excited to hear that Stevie Winwood and Eric Clapton are playing MSQ on this weekend in Feb as per my Sunday NYT. I knew there was a reason we picked this weekend, that is, it will keep some of the undesirables off the streets. (:twisted:).

Jppiano
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 am
Contact:

Fiorellos

Post by Jppiano » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:39 pm

I agree that it can be a mob scene, but there is a room in the back that we can reserve for a party our size. Shun Lee is a bit expensive, but definitely worth it. I'll think about other possiblilties.....

Joe

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:28 pm

Caffe La Fenice that Steinway mentioned has a very good-looking Italian menu too. How is the atmosphere Cliftwood?
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Barry
Posts: 10228
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Post by Barry » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:33 pm

How about French?

www.laboitenyc.com

It's at 68th and Columbus and has a good rating from menupages.com, a bistro type atmosphere judging from the photo on their homepage and pretty reasonable prices.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Steinway
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Steinway » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:25 pm

Barry..

LaFenice has good Italian food and is very reasonably priced but it's not very large and I don't know if we can isolate ourselves there. I do have an apartment directly across the street from there so I can certainly find out once I know the number of attendees.

Only last Saturday, I spotted La Boite en Bois, and looked inside. It's appealing looking and the menu looks attractive, so I'm planning to try it during the Thanksgiving holiday, when we'll be in the city. Will be happy to give a review of the place.

We certainly have time before making a decision, but not too much if we need to set aside enough space to accomodate the group for drinks and dinner. Most of the recent places mentioned are no more than five minutes walk to Lincoln Center and we should keep in mind that it gets rather chilly in late February in Manhattan.

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Re: Lincoln Center Eats

Post by Ralph » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Jppiano wrote:One place that is exceptionally good and can definitely accomodate our party is Shun Lee Palace on 65th and Broadway (one of the best chinese places in the city). Another very good place is Fiorello's Roman Cafe on 64th and Bdway. I feel that Josepina has rather weird cuisine that may not appeal to everybody. For a great lowbrow place that can hold this teeming crowd, we can go to Old John's on 67th St. between Broadway and Amsterdam. Then, of course, there are all the hyper-expensive places in the Time Warner building (Per Se, Masa) - do I understand that Ralph is picking up the check (to hand it to the person next to him)?............:)

Joe P.
*****

Masa would be fun and the prix fixe banquet is only $300 a person (exclusive of drinks, tax and tip).
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

slofstra
Posts: 8899
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Post by slofstra » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm

steinway wrote:Barry..

LaFenice has good Italian food and is very reasonably priced but it's not very large and I don't know if we can isolate ourselves there. I do have an apartment directly across the street from there so I can certainly find out once I know the number of attendees.

Only last Saturday, I spotted La Boite en Bois, and looked inside. It's appealing looking and the menu looks attractive, so I'm planning to try it during the Thanksgiving holiday, when we'll be in the city. Will be happy to give a review of the place.

We certainly have time before making a decision, but not too much if we need to set aside enough space to accomodate the group for drinks and dinner. Most of the recent places mentioned are no more than five minutes walk to Lincoln Center and we should keep in mind that it gets rather chilly in late February in Manhattan.
Please do. I would use the number "20". You could tell them that the range is 15-30 with a 98% confidence level, and see what they say to that.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests