Question for opera gurus...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

living_stradivarius

Question for opera gurus...

Post by living_stradivarius » Mon May 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Does anyone happen to know if Beverly Sills ever recorded all of Cleopatra's arias from Handel's Caesar?

Any help is highly appreciated - thank you

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Question for opera gurus...

Post by Lance » Mon May 19, 2008 6:00 pm

living_stradivarius wrote:Does anyone happen to know if Beverly Sills ever recorded all of Cleopatra's arias from Handel's Caesar?

Any help is highly appreciated - thank you
A composite recording of all the Julius Caeser arias Beverly Sills sings, independently, has never been issued as far as I know. I am an ardent follower of "Bubbles'" career. You can hear them all in her complete recording of Julius Caeser on her recording for RCA [6182] with a stellar cast of Maureen Forrester, Norman Treigle and Beverly Wolff with Julius Rudel conducting. I highly recommend this set. This is probably the most distinguished and most-loved recording of the opera ever made at least for opera aficionados. Once you have that complete set, you can easily make your own composite recording of her arias since everything is well tracked on the RCA discs. I have 95% of her commercial and private recordings on CD or LP. My computer cataloguing sytem doesn't particularly identify individual arias or excerpts from operas and some may possibly exist since she is so strongly identified with the opera. If I had another lifetime to live, it is my hope to catalogue by arias or excerpts. This is a major task, as you can well imagine!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Mon May 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Wow, thanks Lance, you're the best :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 19, 2008 7:27 pm

living_stradivarius wrote:Wow, thanks Lance, you're the best :D
Well, thank you, Living Stradivarius. I don't know about being "the best," but it's nice to hear! :wink: Funny you should be asking about Beverly Sills. I'm in the throes of trying to put a radio tribute together in her honor as I type this now. Those DGG sets give wonderful examples of her art. [The Great Recordings: DGG 0002469, 2 CDs; Beverly Sills and Friends: DGG 0007330, 2 CDs]. Also her "Art of" on EMI [64425] and her song recital on Sony [60576] are indispensable Sills items. Some of the British Decca CD in "The Singers" series [467.906] was replicated in the DGG sets since Universal is the blanket for both these labels now.

—Living Steinway (aka Lance)

GK

Post by GK » Mon May 19, 2008 10:44 pm