Ingolf Dahl (1912 - 1970)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

ChrisX

Ingolf Dahl (1912 - 1970)

Post by ChrisX » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 am

Anyone familiar with this US composer and his music and would care to comment on him? Anyone knows this cd with some of his orchestral works?

Chris
"Remember what's been given, not taken away" (Brett Kull)

DavidRoss

Re: Ingolf Dahl (1912 - 1970)

Post by DavidRoss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for your post. The only thing I've heard by Dahl is the sax concerto, a few years ago by the Cleveland Orchestra with Joe Lulloff on alto. It was splendid--passionate, colorful, exciting!--and I've searched off and on for a good recording. The MTT/NWO seems like the best bet in a very small field and I just ordered a used copy from Amazon (it's OOP). MTT studied with Dahl, and he has done consistently fine work with new music and this ensemble, so I think it's a pretty safe bet.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

johnQpublic

Post by johnQpublic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Dahl is more of a Neo-Classicist, a bit like Stravinsky of the 30's & 40's, than anything else. The Music for Brass (on that album) is consider standard brass ensemble rep. His material is not as strong a personality as say Stravinsky, but his contrapuntal skills were strong.

I give him a B- :)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Oh, you beautiful Dahl, you great big beautiful Dahl . . . .

Cheers,
~Karl
Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

DavidRoss

Post by DavidRoss » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Feeling particularly playful today, are we? Beats glum and boring any time, IMO.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

lmpower

Post by lmpower » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 pm

I used to see Ingolf Dahl at concerts in Los Angeles. He was a frequent attendee back in the 1950's along with Lukas Foss, Ernst Krenek and Igor Stravinsky. His own music wasn't performed very often though. I remember that he taught at the University of Southern California.