Don Giovanni Unmasked

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Bellelettres

Don Giovanni Unmasked

Post by Bellelettres » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Did you all see this when it was shown on PBS in 2001? I was fascinated to see the same bass-baritone sing the roles of the Don and Leporello. What a glorious voice he has! I had been partial to Sieppe in the role of the Don before I heard Hvorostovsky.

When my husband and I moved to Washington State in 1979, the Seattle Opera orchestra was on strike, so they were doing "Don Giovanni" with a piano, an organ, and a mandolin, and Sherrill Milnes was the Don. I longed to see that production, but naturally I couldn't cross a picket line. -- Belle
Featuring one of the world's most sensational young baritones, Russia's Dmitri Hvorostovsky, this inspired adaptation of "Don Giovanni" retells the Mozart masterpiece from the point of view of Don Giovanni's servant, Leporello. Taking the form of a film within a film, DON GIOVANNI UNMASKED is simultaneously set in two separate eras -- 1930s Hollywood and 17th-century Spain. When it opens in 1930, Leporello is presented as the host of a movie that reveals the long-standing secret of his master's identity in 1620 Seville. Through the intricate use of special visual effects, Hvorostovsky performs both roles of Leporello and Don Giovanni, transcending time and space to offer a tantalizing new perspective on Don Giovanni and his ultimately tragic romantic escapades.

Learn more about what makes this film adaption of Mozart's opera unique; the impact of the central figure of the opera -- Don Giovanni -- on the other characters within the work; and the composer's struggle for recognition during his short but accomplished life.

Click here to explore the Web companion for this program, which originally aired on April 6, 2001.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/dongiovanni.html

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Don Giovanni Unmasked

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Bellelettres (Sharyl) - WELCOME TO CMG. I can see you are going to be a most active participant - and I love it!

I didn't see the PBS special in 2001, and now I'm sorry I didn't see it. As for Dmitri Hvorostovsky, I understand from a friend in California that he just gave an incredibly well received recital in San Francisco. I cannot believe this was not reviewed, however. What's going on that they can't review a master such as Hvorostovsky? (Are times changing that much?

I'm trying to envision a "Don" with piano, organ and mandolin! As is often said, "the show must go on!" (one way or another). And Sherrill Milnes, a top-drawer singer. No doubt you've read his autobiography. I have a signed copy!

Bellelettres wrote:Did you all see this when it was shown on PBS in 2001? I was fascinated to see the same bass-baritone sing the roles of the Don and Leporello. What a glorious voice he has! I had been partial to Sieppe in the role of the Don before I heard Hvorostovsky.

When my husband and I moved to Washington State in 1979, the Seattle Opera orchestra was on strike, so they were doing "Don Giovanni" with a piano, an organ, and a mandolin, and Sherrill Milnes was the Don. I longed to see that production, but naturally I couldn't cross a picket line. -- Belle
Featuring one of the world's most sensational young baritones, Russia's Dmitri Hvorostovsky, this inspired adaptation of "Don Giovanni" retells the Mozart masterpiece from the point of view of Don Giovanni's servant, Leporello. Taking the form of a film within a film, DON GIOVANNI UNMASKED is simultaneously set in two separate eras -- 1930s Hollywood and 17th-century Spain. When it opens in 1930, Leporello is presented as the host of a movie that reveals the long-standing secret of his master's identity in 1620 Seville. Through the intricate use of special visual effects, Hvorostovsky performs both roles of Leporello and Don Giovanni, transcending time and space to offer a tantalizing new perspective on Don Giovanni and his ultimately tragic romantic escapades.

Learn more about what makes this film adaption of Mozart's opera unique; the impact of the central figure of the opera -- Don Giovanni -- on the other characters within the work; and the composer's struggle for recognition during his short but accomplished life.

Click here to explore the Web companion for this program, which originally aired on April 6, 2001.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/dongiovanni.html
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Bellelettres

Post by Bellelettres » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Lance!

I haven't read the Milnes autobiography. Did you meet him when he signed your copy? He is a GORGEOUS man, isn't he? Except when he sings with Placido Domingo, I can't think why the soprano doesn't desert the tenor and run off with him.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator

Post by Corlyss_D » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Bellelettres wrote:Did you all see this when it was shown on PBS in 2001? I was fascinated to see the same bass-baritone sing the roles of the Don and Leporello.
:shock: In the same production?
naturally I couldn't cross a picket line. -- Belle
Please tell me you jest.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am

Well you MUST read Milnes autobiography especially if you think he's GORGEOUS! It is entitled American Aria: From Farmboy to Opera Star. You'll learn a lot of interesting things about his life. Sherrill Milnes also wrote the foreward to his accompanist's book (that was Jon Spong who recently died). That book is entitled The First Forty-Five. Spong didn't live long enough to write the "Second Forty-Five." Milnes Gorgeous? Hmm, from my perspective, I never thought of him that way! Image. I thought he was a wonderfully gifted singer. I have many of his recordings (RCA) on LP that never made their way to CD, unfortunately. Curiously, Belle, did you, perchance, enjoy the work of the late tenor Jerry Hadley?
Bellelettres wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Lance!

I haven't read the Milnes autobiography. Did you meet him when he signed your copy? He is a GORGEOUS man, isn't he? Except when he sings with Placido Domingo, I can't think why the soprano doesn't desert the tenor and run off with him.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:27 am

By the way, Belle, is that a Sheaffer, Parker, Mont Blanc, Cross ... or what kind of pen that so beautifully writes "Belle"?
Bellelettres wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Lance!

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Bellelettres

Post by Bellelettres » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 am

Yes, Corlyss, in the same production. When they were onscreen together, Leporello was explaining what the Don was doing in a video he was narrating. It was so interesting to contrast the two styles of singing by the same man.

No jest. I would not cross a picket line. I support the trade union movement.

Bellelettres

Post by Bellelettres » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:28 am

Lance, I've never heard Jerry Hadley.

I don't know what kind of pen that is. My guess is a Parker.

GK

Post by GK » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:24 pm

It was not the case of the same man singing the two roles, but some years back Samuel Ramey snd Ferrucio Furlanetta alternated the roles of the Don and Leporello at the Met and other venues.

Bellelettres

Post by Bellelettres » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:53 am

Do you mean alternated them in different acts, GK? I would like to have heard that!

GK

Post by GK » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:57 am

No, alternating performances.