Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by stenka razin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:13 pm

The Dvorak B Minor Cello Concerto is unquestionably the greatest concerto ever written for the cello and my favorite. I know most of you have your favorites and so do I. Please list your favorites and let's get a discographic thread going, my fellow CMGers. :D :D :D


1-Starker-Dorati-London Symphony-Mercury Philips-1990/62-****

2-Casals-Szell-Czech Philharmonic-EMI-1990/37-****+

3-Rostropovich-Talich-Czech Philharmonic-Supraphon-2005/52-****++

4-Tortelier-Previn-London Symphony-EMI-2003/79-***1/2

5-Piatigorsky-Munch-Boston Symphony-RCA-1993/60-****

6-Rostropovich-Ozawa-Boston Symphony-1987-Erato-****

7-Feuermann-Barzin-National Orchestral Association-Philips-1988/40-****+

8-Fournier-Szell-Berlin Philharmonic-DG-1988/61****

9-Wallfisch-Mackerras-London Symphony-Chandos-1989-***

P.S. I have lots more, but the above recordings were the best. :idea:
Image

otterhouse
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:37 am
Contact:

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by otterhouse » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:33 pm

For people outside the usa:

http://www.europarchive.org/item.php?id=lp-00915_BeG

Zara Nelsova (I think 1950)

Rolf

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17665
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 pm

I have...

Gregor Piatagorsky - RCA
Mstislav Rostropovich - Supraphon
Anne Gastinel - Naive
Milos Sadlo - Supraphon
Janos Starker - Mercury
Pietr Wispelwey - Channel Classics
Pierre Fournier - DG
Paul Tortelier - EMI
Du Pre - EMI

But My Favourite is...

Jean-Guihen Queras - Harmonia Mundi
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Fergus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

I have-

Piatigorsky-Munch-Boston Symphony-RCA
Rostropovich-BPO-Karajan-DG

Febnyc
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Stamford CT

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Febnyc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I would take issue with the words "unquestionably the greatest..." I'd agree that it, unquestionably, is the most well-known. But there are other cello concertos which might be considered before hoisting Dvořák's so matter-of-factly on to the pedestal. :wink:

However, I think it's a magnificent work, of course, and am happy with the Rostropovich/BPO/Karajan. (Although I do have another - Wallfisch/LSO/Mackerras - which is a sumptuous performance and is joined on the disc by Dohnányi's wonderful Konzertstuck for Cello.)

Wallingford
Posts: 4546
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Wallingford » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 pm

I'll leap at any opportunity to trumpet a Dean Dixon recording.

He accompanied ANTONIO JANIGRO in the Dvorak on Nixa/Westminster in the early 50s.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by stenka razin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Febnyc wrote:I would take issue with the words "unquestionably the greatest..." I'd agree that it, unquestionably, is the most well-known. But there are other cello concertos which might be considered before hoisting Dvořák's so matter-of-factly on to the pedestal. :wink:

However, I think it's a magnificent work, of course, and am happy with the Rostropovich/BPO/Karajan. (Although I do have another - Wallfisch/LSO/Mackerras - which is a sumptuous performance and is joined on the disc by Dohnányi's wonderful Konzertstuck for Cello.)
Feb, you have a point, the Elgar, Schumann, Saint-Saens #1, Lalo, Haydn....yes, there are other great cello concertos, but as much as I adore the Elgar, hum the Saint-Saens, whistle the Schumann, the Dvorak still is the longest and most majestic of all 'major' cello concertos... 8) 8) 8) 8)
Image

DavidRoss
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by DavidRoss » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:41 pm

I like the Dvorak, though nothing moves me like the Elgar, and I'd usually rather hear Proky's Sinfonia Concertante. My top choice these days is Truls Mørk with Jansons and the Oslo Philharmonic but I agree with Chalkie that the Queras is darned good. I'd probably go for it if I were looking for another.
"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Image

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by stenka razin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:50 pm

DavidRoss wrote:I like the Dvorak, though nothing moves me like the Elgar, and I'd usually rather hear Proky's Sinfonia Concertante. My top choice these days is Truls Mørk with Jansons and the Oslo Philharmonic but I agree with Chalkie that the Queras is darned good. I'd probably go for it if I were looking for another.
DavidRoss, thank you for reminding me and fellow CMGers of the Prokoiev. That sizzling work belongs near the top in my book, also. A grand piece with much in common with the last three Prokofiev Symphonies. Great choice! :D :D :D :D
Image

Febnyc
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Stamford CT

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Febnyc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

Nikolai Miaskovsky wrote a beautiful cello concerto, too.

And, could we consider Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations? One of my top cell/orchestra works.

maestrob
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 am

Yes, I would put Miaskovky's Cello Concerto up there with the greats.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url ... stropovich

Rostropovich recorded the Dvorak at least half-a-dozen times with various conductors: his reading with HVK is my least favorite. Note values are not observed or skimmed over: it's the least disciplined of his readings. On DGG, I much prefer Fournier: http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Cello ... 275&sr=1-1

Febnyc
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Stamford CT

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Febnyc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 am

Ernest Bloch's Schelomo, Max Bruch's Kol Nidre - and Sir Arthur Sullivan wrote a fine Cello Concerto.

Also, back home in the States - Victor Herbert's.

Ralph
Dittersdorf Specialist & CMG NY Host
Posts: 20996
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:54 am
Location: Paradise on Earth, New York, NY

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Ralph » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am

DuPre. Period.
Image

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein

AntonioA
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by AntonioA » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm

The Casals/Szell is one of the most moving cello recordings I have ever heard.
The first Rostropovich with Talich is fine too.
AntonioA

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17665
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Feb, you have a point, the Elgar, Schumann, Saint-Saens #1, Lalo, Haydn....yes, there are other great cello concertos
I never understood the esteem to which the Haydn is held, Cello Concertos really start with Schumann...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Fergus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Chalkperson wrote:I never understood the esteem to which the Haydn is held, Cello Concertos really start with Schumann...
I think that the Haydn cello concertos are fine works. Sure they do not delve into the depths of the emotions of the Romantic cello concertos but I find that they are full of lyricism and invention.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17665
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Fergus wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:I never understood the esteem to which the Haydn is held, Cello Concertos really start with Schumann...
I think that the Haydn cello concertos are fine works. Sure they do not delve into the depths of the emotions of the Romantic cello concertos but I find that they are full of lyricism and invention.
Actually, my statement is totally incorrect, Romantic Cello Concertos start with Schumann, Vivaldi's Cello Concertos are excellent, there is a pair of recordings of them on Naive with Christopher Coin, both are superb discs...I just never loved the Haydn...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Fergus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

I actually have Coin playing the Haydn concertos with AAM + Hogwood on Decca and he does a fine job.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17665
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Fergus wrote:I actually have Coin playing the Haydn concertos with AAM + Hogwood on Decca and he does a fine job.
He and Hogwood recorded a disc about twenty years ago of Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas too, if you ever see it I suggest you grab it...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Fergus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
Fergus wrote:I actually have Coin playing the Haydn concertos with AAM + Hogwood on Decca and he does a fine job.
He and Hogwood recorded a disc about twenty years ago of Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas too, if you ever see it I suggest you grab it...
Thank you Sir, I will do just that.

barney
Posts: 3319
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by barney » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm rather surprised to find that I have only eight, of which two are double ups. That may be because I'm pretty satisfied with the versions I listen to most:
Rostropovich/Karajan
Du Pre/Barenboim
Casals/Szell
Fournier/Szell

CharmNewton
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:13 pm

A number of posters mentioned the Casals/Szell recording. I wish to ask them what they find so special about this recording. AntonioA finds it moving. Is it Casals, Szell the orchestra?

John

Wallingford
Posts: 4546
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Wallingford » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 pm

CERTAINLY the orchestra, among other factors: it's a chance to hear Szell direct the CZECH PHILHARMONIC.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

maestrob
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:29 am

Wallingford wrote:CERTAINLY the orchestra, among other factors: it's a chance to hear Szell direct the CZECH PHILHARMONIC.
I grew up with this recording and rate it highly.....both Szell and Casals are in rare form.

Ken
Posts: 2511
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:17 am
Location: Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Ken » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:44 am

I thought I'd use this opportunity to, while not entirely relevant to this conversation, note that I find the coda to this work to be one of the most exciting finishes in all of music.

This is probably a rather amateur musical insight, but I've yet to find another orchestral work that, in the same manner as Dvorak's piece, alters the listener's entire perception of what she has just listened to. The last few phrases of the Concerto offer a concise, exhilarating, and memorable means of musical punctuation.

That said, some recordings pull it off better than others. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions about conductors who shape an exciting closing to this work.
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

Wallingford
Posts: 4546
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Dvorak-Cello Concerto In B Minor-My Favorite Recordings

Post by Wallingford » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Ken wrote:I thought I'd use this opportunity to, while not entirely relevant to this conversation, note that I find the coda to this work to be one of the most exciting finishes in all of music.

This is probably a rather amateur musical insight, but I've yet to find another orchestral work that, in the same manner as Dvorak's piece, alters the listener's entire perception of what she has just listened to. The last few phrases of the Concerto offer a concise, exhilarating, and memorable means of musical punctuation.

That said, some recordings pull it off better than others. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions about conductors who shape an exciting closing to this work.
I KIND OF get what you're saying....it is a special coda, as it seems one long and reluctant goodbye. Or a short succession of goodbyes, surrounded by a lot inbetween.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests