What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Casella's Symphony II is a new work to these ears, my only previous exposure to this composer being Scarlattiana, here ably played by one of England's finest pianists, Martin Roscoe. Gianandrea Noseda ably leads the BBC Philharmonic in these Italian romantic works. Casella, like Martucci, preferred to write symphonic music and not follow the operatic tendencies of his contemporary Respighi. The Second Symphony utilizes many chimes and other percussion, and is original enough to hold this listener's attention. I plan on getting more of Casella's recordings based on the success of this disc. Five enthusiastic stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Tatiana Nikolayeva became well-known for playing Shostakovich, yet her other concert repertoire deserves more attention, as this 1989 Athens recital attests. Her Bach is attentive to serious detail, her Schumann Symphonic Etudes are outstanding, as is her Ravel and Scriabin. My point is that this is a truly successful recital disc, with wide-ranging repertoire. Enthusiastically recommended with five stars.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes, got this one immediately and treasure it. Wonderful pianist in every respect.
maestrob wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 pm
Tatiana Nikolayeva became well-known for playing Shostakovich, yet her other concert repertoire deserves more attention, as this 1989 Athens recital attests. Her Bach is attentive to serious detail, her Schumann Symphonic Etudes are outstanding, as is her Ravel and Scriabin. My point is that this is a truly successful recital disc, with wide-ranging repertoire. Enthusiastically recommended with five stars.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:17 am

Martyn Brabbins has recently begun a project of recording Vaughan-Williams, and this is his first disc of rare material, aptly entitled "Discoveries." Each of the vocal pieces is a gem, with Jennifer Johnston (mezzo) and Roderick Williams both in fine form. Brabbins is a fine conductor, leading the BBC Philharmonic while producing exemplary lush sounds that will please anglophiles everywhere in such unknown and rare gems as "A Road All Paved with Stars" and "Stricken Peninsula." Brabbins own recording of the more popular "London" Symphony will be released later this month, and I for one look forward to owning it. This is a superb disc in excellent sound. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am

Boris Giltburg has been reviewed favorably in these pages before, and this latest release (recorded in 2015) shows he has not lost that magic he displayed earlier. Though still young, Giltburg displays an unusual maturity coupled with a technique to die for, needed in some of Rachmaninov's most demanding works. Giltburg has ideas, lots of them, that fill these rarely performed sets (the Op. 39 Etudes-tableaux and the Moments musicaux) with concentrated meaning and depth. Congratulations are in order for yet another five star release by a great artist!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 am

Ivan Fischer with his Budapest Festival Orchestra seem to be on a slow-motion
mission to record Mahler's Symphonies, and that's fine by me! His recent Mahler
IV was exquisitely crafted, and so is this new III, served up on two discs.
Tempi are just right, and the orchestra plays with finesse to spare. My only
objection to Ivan Fischer's style is that he lacks the wattage to deliver in
some of the bombastic moments of the score that are present in Solti &
Bernstein. Fischer's more pastoral vision does win me over, however: his
delicate attention to detail is inspiring in Mahler's most nature-oriented
symphony, and the clarity and transparency of the recording itself is
awe-inspiring. Four and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Rafal Blechacz is an artist new to these ears, and what a treat this album is! Devoted entirely to Bach, the disc includes many popular pieces, such as the Italian Concerto and the First Partita, played with sensitivity and panache, with tempi feeling just right. The piano sound is full yet captures the inner voices and delicate moments with feeling and depth. A hearty recommendation then for lovers of Bach on the piano, this is an ideal disc for release on vinyl, which I see by amazon's listings has already been done. Five enthusiastic stars.