What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by Belle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I've been listening to the recently-acquired Schumann Symphonies with Hanover Band/Roy Goodman - particularly the "Rhenish", my favourite. Well; there's a lucidity of texture and you can really hear those instrumental groupings BUT there's a somewhat rigid tempo which makes it rather metronomic and a little on the cold side. I guess I can't have everything (stamps foot; why not?). I still like the Klaus Tennstedt on modern instruments, despite the density, because that flexibility and warmth is there. I know Schumann didn't apply that moniker to his 3rd symphony, but when I was last in Bonn I stood beside the mighty Rhine and my head was full of "daa daa, daa daa-daa da daa-daa-daa dah,....".

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:01 pm
I own, and very much like, a Brahms cycle with the BSO and Leinsdorf on LPs, in the "Aristocrat of Orchestras" series issued 1964-68 during RCA's dynagroove era—LSC-2711, 2809, 2936 and 3010.
Thank you, jserraglio. I don't remember those, and I didn't see them available on CDs. Leinsdorf was, IMHO, a very strict Toscanini-style conductor, who occasionally chose a slightly wrong tempo (see his Mahler III, last movement), but I generally like his music-making and might have enjoyed his Brahms Symphonies if the Boston orchestra had been better in those days. His Brahms Second Piano Concerto with Chicago/Richter still finds its way into my CD player quite often.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 am

The Brahms 2nd has been remastered and reissued by HDTT. The others TMK have not been (except maybe in Japan?) but should be. Leinsdorf was an excellent conductor of this composer.

I just encountered a live Leinsdorf/BSO Britten War Requiem (US premiere: Tanglewood, 1963) this morning and can't wait to listen to it.

I think Leinsdorf's Cleveland & Rochester 1940's Columbias were wonderful, e.g., the R-K Antar Symphony. So too his Mozart early symphonies cycle with the RPO on Westminster reissued on MCA & DG. There is also a 1950 Columbia Brahms 1 with the Phila. Orch c/w the 1946 Cleveland Dvorak 6 just reissued by Naxos Classical Archives. https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/NS%200349
Anthony Fogg, BSO Artistic Administrator 2007 wrote:The Boston Symphony . . . [ca. 1963] boasted some of its greatest-ever
principal players. The chamber orchestra featured not only [Joseph]
Silverstein, but Doriot Anthony Dwyer (flute), Ralph Gomberg (oboe),
Sherman Walt (bassoon), and Everett (Vic) Firth (percussion) — all
legendary players in the symphonic world; the trumpets of the main
orchestra included Armando Ghittala and Roger Voisin, whose unique
tonal color had become among the hallmarks of the BSO; the chamber
organist was Daniel Pinkham, the outstanding keyboardist and composer
from the Boston area.
Even later, in the mid to late 60's, the BSO still sounded great to me, but count me a neophyte about orchestral playing. Hell, I even like Ozawa's Boston recordings. A lot.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Others on this forum including myself disagree about Boston under Leinsdorf, sorry to say. Of course their administrator would brag, but Munch had let the orchestra's discipline and sound quality deteriorate under his tenure, and Leinsdorf, a strict disciplinarian was left with the results. Check out Munch's commercial releases, and you'll find on most discs, other than his French releases, harsh strings, blaring brass and a general lack of tempo discipline, IMHO. Leinsdorf was able to impose a clearer sound with more discipline, but the sound remained stiff and harsh in the strings to my ears: perfect for his Prokofiev (which I like), but not so beautiful as Solti's Brahms in Chicago or Bernstein's NY. I avoided BSO recordings in my teens for that reason, even though Heifetz recorded Beethoven with them, and the orchestra sounds inspired by his playing. Thus, I blame Much for the problems.

As for Ozawa, to my ears he was OK but never inspired in XXth Century repertoire, but I've heard that the orchestra was quite demoralized during his tenure, even though the players got better. Ozawa just didn't sound involved in his Romantic repertoire: his Mahler VIII is quite awful IMHO, but his Gurrelieder with McCracken and Norman is quite good, so go figure.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

I agree that Leinsdorf's main contribution to the BSO was restoring the quality of its playing, or much of it, that had been lost under Charles Munch. I too like his Prokofiev BSO recordings and some others, such as Berg's "Der Wein," but have never heard anything special in his performances and recordings of standard concert and operatic repertoire, which sometimes were deadly dull.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

To hear the extempore Charles Munch leading the BSO in just about anything is a treat, especially his exciting live broadcasts. I guess I'm a sucker for French conductors.

Less so but also, Erich Leinsdorf in big choral and operatic works. Just listened to his highly charged 1963 War Requiem, as good as any I've heard, though like Ozawa he is often dissed.

Whenever I wanna hear refined beauty in American orchestral playing, I'll listen to the Clevelanders under just about any conductor, including the often pedestrian FWM. Szell's Brahms cycle, Maazel's, or even Dohnanyi's. Solti and Bernstein for Brahmsian beauty and refinement? Uh-uh, though I listened to both of their cycles on LP, and was deeply moved by the earlier LB's (Brahms with the NYP) intensity and commitment to the music. Re. Solti's CSO Brahms, it's fine but CSO/Levine's packs more of an impact.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am

De gustibus and all that! I find Levine's Chicago Brahms shallow, like most of his orchestral conducting, but that may be just me. Solti's Brahms is my personal favorite, with Lenny/NY a very close second. So be it.

Frankly, I agree with you about Leinsdorf. I think he's a vastly underrated conductor, and his few choral recordings are well worth having, including a Schubert Eb Mass on Testament. His Prokofiev series of Symphonies and Concertos with John Browning are outstanding musically in spite of the orchestra's limitations. There have been better since then, but for their time they were revelatory.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am
His Prokofiev . . .
Also his Richard Strauss. Have listened in the past two days to live Boston SO perfs from the early 60s of Ein Heldenleben, Don Quixote (Silverstein/de Pasquale/Mayes), Die Tagezeiten and the Bourgeois Gentilhomme Suite. I also like his studio Heldenleben (RCA LSC-2641, reissued on CD by JVC Japan).

These performances are quite special.

Notwithstanding his many detractors, Leinsdorf currently has quite a following among knowledgeable listeners on the Symphonyshare and Concertarchive forums.

BTW, my all-time favorite Brahms cycle is Ansermet's, now on Decca Eloquence.