What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Manfred Honeck has, in the past several years, raised the standards of the Pittsburgh Symphony to wonderful new heights, indeed, IMHO, to international standards. He consistently brings a stupendous clear-headed energy and finesse to every recording I've heard, with fresh and inspiring details to his interpretations that never offend the ear. Your reviewer continues to be grateful to Reference Recordings for their stellar offerings in this series, of which this release is but one of a consistently fine example. Here we have an electrifying performance of Dvorak's Eighth Symphony, coupled with a symphonic suite from Janacek's powerful opera, Jenufa. Both are given equally fine treatment, and recorded in fine sound. Highly recommended. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks to mentions by both Lance and Rach3, I acquired this release of Ignaz Friedman's recordings from 1923-1941, recently issued by Danacord at a very reasonable price, also available on amazon for free listening for American Prime members. Friedman edited Chopin's music for publication in the early part of the last century, and, of the six discs in this set, his Chopin is the most personal and inventive, without ever being extravagant or offensive. Friedman's style is uniquely his own, yet he serves Chopin's spirit with great joy and passion. None of our present day soloists would dare to be this personal in their interpretations, yet Friedman's playing is a joy to the ear. Playing like this is gone forever, and, especially restored in such fine sound, thankfully we can still experience the character and deep personal involvement of such a great golden age artist.

The only work with orchestra that Friedman recorded was the Grieg Concerto, here given a fine, disciplined reading and restored in very good sound. The other discs feature works from Scarlatti to Weber, all in thoughtful and stimulating readings. I don't have the Naxos single disc issues at hand to make a sonic comparison, but having it all in one reasonably priced box is a great advantage. What a treasure this box is! Five gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 am

There have been many good recordings of Paul Hindemith's Violin Concerto made since David Oistrakh's world premiere stereo reading conducted by the composer on DGG. Thankfully, this stands up to the best of them. Arabella Steinbacher has by now made quite a stunning reputation for herself on disc in wide-ranging repertoire. This disc of Britten and Hindemith Violin Concertos made with the Berlin Radio Orchestra led by Vladimir Jurowski takes pride of place as one of her best to date. Jurowki has a keen sense of balance between orchestra and soloist in both works, while Steinbacher adds a ravishing tone and sensitive playing to these twentieth century masterworks, bringing out beauty and warmth in her interpretation. Five stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:05 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 am
... his Chopin is the most personal and inventive, without ever being extravagant or offensive. Friedman's style is uniquely his own, yet he serves Chopin's spirit with great joy and passion. None of our present day soloists would dare to be this personal in their interpretations, yet Friedman's playing is a joy to the ear. Playing like this is gone forever...
Well said.Friedman a sine qua non for pianophiles.At his Vienna debut in 1904, he played the Tchaikovsky 1st PC, the Brahms 1st PC, and the Liszt 1st PC.

In Sydney, June 25,1927, Friedman's programme was in this order (copyright 2009 by the late Allan Evans, from his Friedman biography, with Mr.Evans' permission):

Beethoven Sonata,Op.111
Scarlatti-Tausig Capriccio
Schumann "Papillons"; Symphonic Etudes
Chopin Waltz
Chopin Nocturne Op.62,#2; Impromptu Op.29;Scherzo Op.20
Gartner-Friedman Viennese Dance # 4
Szymanowski Prelude
Suk Minuet
Henselt-Godowsky Etude "If I Were a Bird"
Strauss-Godowsky "Fledermaus" Paraphrase
Encores Liszt: Liebestraume # 3 ; God Save the Queen

From 1946-47 student Patricia Rovik, in a 1988 interview (copyright 2009 by Allan Evans):

" He was a grand person.There was something of a mastery about him at the piano, a quietness; he was never grandiose and I always felt that he was communing with music, that he was a special gift to us from the God of Music himself. When he played the Revolutionary Etude one felt it it was an avalanche and any movable object would be removed from its path.He could be quite grand in the sonatas,too.I didn't hear him banging, in what was thought to be the tradition of the nineteenth century.There was a certain philosophical restfulness about him. He would make wonderful statements,especially with Chopin. I was just so in awe of the man and I still am to an extent after forty years. It was almost quite a breathless experience."

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Rach3:

Thanks for all that information. Yes, Friedman was and still is a unique musical personality, like many in his era, both pianists and singers. We have lost so much of that personal stamp on music with the current emphasis on getting the notes right, neglecting the emotional content of the music. Of course there are great artists in the current generation that we can all admire and enjoy, but I miss the lost ability to personalize the music, which is simply not taught or even encouraged these days. Thank God for recordings like Friedman's, which preserve this great tradition.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:51 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am
Bohuslav Martinu's mid-twentieth century music has always fascinated me, ever since I discovered his Symphony IV as a teenager.

Martinu's Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras,Piano and Percussion, powerful work, I suspect not heard live often.Video, approx. 20 minutes, at Maison Radio France, Paris, date (?),pre-pandemic:

François-Xavier Roth dirige l'Orchestre national de France et le pianiste Cédric Tiberghien dans le Double concerto pour deux orchestre à cordes, piano et timbales.

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/in ... ales-h-271

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks, Rach3! I have loved that piece since I acquired the CD below some 25 years ago. Will listen to your posted concert with interest.....

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:49 am

Nielsen's 3rd Symphony / Erik Tuxsen / Radio Symphony Orchestra, Copenhagen.
Decca LXT 2697.
(Interesting because of voices used as instruments in 2nd Movement. Something I'm attempting in a current composition.)
I can't paste an image directly (Attachment). If I post a link the target could disappear any time.
It's one of the old Decca ffrr series (in beautiful condition).

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 am

It's been a while since I've acquired a new set of Brahms Symphonies that rivals my personal favorite, which is Solti/Chicago. For instance, Andris Nelsons's new live set from Boston didn't make the grade; neither did Jaap Van Zweden's recent issue. That said, when I acquired the above CDs from the excellent Bamberger Symphony led by Jakub Hrusa, I certainly expected fine playing from these former Czech exiles, but what I heard was really superb Brahms, played with sensitivity, energy, and fine attention to detail, perfectly shaped and well-recorded. Hrusa's conducting serves both Brahms and Dvorak well, and deserves a place in the pantheon of first-rank interpretations. Disciplined yet warm, the sound of the strings is particularly fine, while the pacing and articulation in both Brahms and the Dvorak VIII are honed to perfection, standing up to Kertesz or Szell any day. The recorded sound is surely among the best I've heard as well. I look forward to hearing the rest of this series. Five stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am

Bernstein, “Age of Anxiety",Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story" and "Candide" Overture, perhaps his 3 top works, Jean Louis Steuerman, pianist,Florida Philharmonic under James Judd, a 2002 Naxos "American Classics" series cd.Heard "Age recently, discovered I did not have a recording, the pairings here very attractive as well.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:10 am
Bernstein, “Age of Anxiety",Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story" and "Candide" Overture, perhaps his 3 top works, Jean Louis Steuerman, pianist,Florida Philharmonic under James Judd, a 2002 Naxos "American Classics" series cd.Heard "Age recently, discovered I did not have a recording, the pairings here very attractive as well.
Have discovered I can hear this on amazon with my Prime membership. Up to now, I've been listening to both Lukas Foss (mono) or Philippe Entremont, composer conducting. This recent issue should be interesting. Thanks! :)