What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Handel: Keyboard Suites/Lisa Smirnova

Pianistic perfection. :D

Geo Dude

Post by Geo Dude » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:13 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

Handel: Keyboard Suites/Lisa Smirnova

Pianistic perfection. :D
I prefer harpsichord recordings, myself, but it's always wonderful to hear someone taking an interest in Handel's keyboard suites. :)

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:17 am

Symphony 9 by Mara as the Japanese would say. Tempi are on the slow side but from
what I heard of Karajan faster reading they would probably work. We shall see.

Geo Dude

Post by Geo Dude » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:05 pm

The thread about the Herreweghe Bach vocal works box set drew me in. I've also decided to pick up the Buxtehude:

ImageImage

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 am

Brilliant Classics have me twirled around their little finger. I should add that I acquired this second-hand 40CD box set, including postage, for £11.62. :D
"Miss pianist bows her lovely back under the hail of notes that she's returning, slightly damaged, to Beethoven."

Norman MacCaig - Concerto

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 am

Thumper wrote:Image

Brilliant Classics have me twirled around their little finger. I should add that I acquired this second-hand 40CD box set, including postage, for £11.62. :D
Way to go! 8)

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am

absinthe wrote:Image

Symphony 9 by Mara as the Japanese would say. Tempi are on the slow side but from
Good Lord, you have started listening to Mahler, :shock: enjoy. :D

Who's next? Neil? :lol:
Last edited by Seán on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Seán

Post by Seán » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

Thumper wrote:Image

I have the Brilliant Classics 170 CD Mozart box set, some of it is splendid. What's in that set?
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am

I hope this is legible...

"Miss pianist bows her lovely back under the hail of notes that she's returning, slightly damaged, to Beethoven."

Norman MacCaig - Concerto

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am

First listen......Very fine except for a few quibbles. Michelle DeYoung starts off her solo dead cold, which means her wobble is showing: she sounds better in her moments with the boys' choir. Honeck's tempo closing out the third movement is on the slow side: articulation wins over excitement.

However, these are minor points: this is not my favorite Mahler III (Bernstein or Abbado), but it's a very fine effort and worth every dime. Something magical is happening in Pittsburg if this is consistently their level of playing, and that's a fact! As is usual these days, this CD is made from live performances, which adds to the depth of feeling.
Last edited by maestrob on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 am

First solo CD by Marlis Petersen is a gem. An exceptionally original choice of songs (for instance, "Meine Ruh ist hin" not by Schubert but by Wagner, or "Kennst du das Land" not by Wolf but by Diepenbrock - how much more "not obvious" can you be about this?), beautiful voice, thoughtful interpretation. Just outstanding. Strongly recommended to all German Lieder lovers.

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Seán wrote:

Good Lord, you have started listening to Mahler, :shock: enjoy. :D

Who's next? Neil? :lol:

Yup, and it's a nice work. He seems to be mastering thematic development at last. It does look toward the Adagio of the 10th, indeed a splendid work.
Not sure how further back I can go. Part 2 of the 8th is most pleasant. But earlier than that? I've tried with the 7th but it still makes no musical sense. Never mind. The penny will drop eventually.

Seán

Post by Seán » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

maestrob wrote:First listen......Very fine except for a few quibbles. Michelle DeYoung starts off her solo dead cold, which means her wobble is showing: she sounds better in her moments with the boys' choir. Honeck's tempo closing out the third movement is on the slow side: articulation wins over excitement.

However, these are minor points: this is not my favorite Mahler III (Bernstein or Abbado) , but it's a very fine effort and worth every dime. Something magical is happening in Pittsburg if this is consistently their level of playing, and that's a fact! As is usual these days, this CD is made from live performances, which adds to the depth of feeling.
and Levine conducting the CSO perhaps?
Seán

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:55 am

This set uses a massive yet perfectly controlled 400-voice chorus, with a sweet-voiced tenor. Grab this if you love Berlioz, and don't mind a French accent in your Latin!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 am

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks to Lance for this suggestion. Horenstein's reading is generally good, and the choir and orchestra get a solid B. The recording is pretty good for a historical issue. I'm glad I have this in my collection. The soloists are a bit closely miked, and they're all serviceable.

ravel30

Post by ravel30 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm

This arrived by the mail today. Brand new for only 13 cdn dollars. Will happily take some time to fully digest and relish this music that I adore played by a pianist that I do not know for now.

p.s.: Please don't tell me yet again that Gieseking is the best in that repertoire. I have heard one to many time and do not agree with it.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:10 pm

ravel30 wrote:This arrived by the mail today. Brand new for only 13 cdn dollars. Will happily take some time to fully digest and relish this music that I adore played by a pianist that I do not know for now.

p.s.: Please don't tell me yet again that Gieseking is the best in that repertoire. I have heard one to many time and do not agree with it.
I don't believe you will be disappointed. Mr. Crossley plays with elegance, ravishing tone and emotional warmth. In my opinion, this is an outstanding collection of this music.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:14 am

ravel30

Post by ravel30 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
ravel30 wrote:This arrived by the mail today. Brand new for only 13 cdn dollars. Will happily take some time to fully digest and relish this music that I adore played by a pianist that I do not know for now.

I don't believe you will be disappointed. Mr. Crossley plays with elegance, ravishing tone and emotional warmth. In my opinion, this is an outstanding collection of this music.

John
Listened to the first disc yesterday and today. It contains the Preludes Volume 1, Images set 1 and set 2. Very nice clear sound and beautiful play. For 13 cdn dollar, I think that this box set is a bargain. Totally agree with you John :wink:

Matt.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 am

Recorded a decade ago, this is a sensitive, beautifully played performance. The orchestra manages to sound nuanced and French, while maintaining international standards: well done!

nut-job

Post by nut-job » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 pm

ravel30 wrote:Listened to the first disc yesterday and today. It contains the Preludes Volume 1, Images set 1 and set 2. Very nice clear sound and beautiful play. For 13 cdn dollar, I think that this box set is a bargain.
Matt.
When was the set recorded?

I have Crossley's recordings of Janacek on Decca, and they are quite good (available in a big box set of Janacek orchestral/chamber music).

nut-job

Post by nut-job » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Ordered the new set of Chisholm Piano Concerti from Hyperion.

Got tired of waiting for US vendors to list the release at a non-insane price, so I ordered from mdt.

ravel30

Post by ravel30 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 pm

nut-job wrote:
ravel30 wrote:Listened to the first disc yesterday and today. It contains the Preludes Volume 1, Images set 1 and set 2. Very nice clear sound and beautiful play. For 13 cdn dollar, I think that this box set is a bargain.
Matt.
When was the set recorded?

I have Crossley's recordings of Janacek on Decca, and they are quite good (available in a big box set of Janacek orchestral/chamber music).
In 1992 and 1993. Pure delight so far.

Matt.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:04 am

An exquisite disc: grab this while it's still available!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am

I like this more than the three reviewers on Amazon. James Ehnes has a beautiful tone, and the BBC under Noseda play up a storm. If you're looking for a digital version of these masterpieces, this one is highly recommended.

nut-job

Post by nut-job » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:40 pm

First impression is that this release is absolutely stunning.

Music by Poulenc and Francaix by the Linos Ensemble on Capriccio.

arthound

Post by arthound » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 pm

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

Finally opened this: what a joy to listen to! Hamelin understands every note, and has something to say in every measure. If you love great piano-playing, this disc is more than worthy of your attention!

nut-job

Post by nut-job » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Oh dear, I find myself with a second Complete Bach Edition.

The Hanssler edition is already on the shelves. If I had to pick one, it would be the Teldec set, but they complement each other well. Original instruments vs modern instruments, male sopranos/altos vs female sopranos/altos, mixed choir vs male choir, harpsichord vs piano.

The first thing I listened to is a recording I had on LP, but never found on CD, the first Viola da gamba sonata with Harnoncourt and Tachezi. Superb! Then listened to Maisky and Argerich performing the same piece. Also superb! But the stark harmonies in the third movement are more haunting on harpsichord, I think.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 am

This issue came out three years ago, and has languished on my shelves since. I'm sorry I waited so long to open it: this is very good music: especially the Kurtag, which sings eloquently. The Lutoslawski is not his best work, but Andsnes makes fine music from a tough score. All in all, a fine disc for those who love recent music.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 am

This is a brilliant release: chamber music, solo piano, and orchestral pieces, well-performed in live recordings from a Canadian festival organized to honor the composer. Anton Kuerti is the stunning soloist in these recordings from 2002 (why??? did it take so long to get funding for this release!).

This is one of the major releases of the year, and has piqued my curiosity to hear more from this excellent composer (I'm only familiar with a few pieces for the left hand and, of course, his exercises for piano). Bravi tutti!

Available from MDT, but not Amazon.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 17, 2012 11:26 am

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Sun May 20, 2012 2:55 pm

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 21, 2012 10:53 am

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 21, 2012 10:54 am

Glad to see you finally got this...... 8)

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

maestrob wrote:
I'm quite looking forward to it - to get some idea of Rattle as a Bruckner conductor and what he makes of
this particular Finale. I have two recordings with earlier versions of the SPCM so I wonder what they made of any new material that's come to light.

Just an opinion, I found the Carragan more satisfying as he removed less, perhaps nothing from Bruckner's manuscript - just a few bars but the omission stands out in earlier SPCM reconstructions. Even so I was disappointed with the recent Gerd Schaller recording (Carragan reconstruction). I don't think it was necessarily Schaller's or Carragan's fault but the recording was poor and Schaller did make a poor go at the fugue, the entries (clear enough in Bruckner's own score) were fluffy so it failed to sound like as a fugue. Have you by chance encountered that recording?

Had Bruckner had a chance to revise the 9th Finale the fugue would probably have the power of that in the 5th Finale.

I had hoped the Rattle would arrive today. Alas no, but I'll give it a spin as soon as it does!

:)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 am

absinthe wrote:
maestrob wrote:
I'm quite looking forward to it - to get some idea of Rattle as a Bruckner conductor and what he makes of
this particular Finale. I have two recordings with earlier versions of the SPCM so I wonder what they made of any new material that's come to light.

Just an opinion, I found the Carragan more satisfying as he removed less, perhaps nothing from Bruckner's manuscript - just a few bars but the omission stands out in earlier SPCM reconstructions. Even so I was disappointed with the recent Gerd Schaller recording (Carragan reconstruction). I don't think it was necessarily Schaller's or Carragan's fault but the recording was poor and Schaller did make a poor go at the fugue, the entries (clear enough in Bruckner's own score) were fluffy so it failed to sound like as a fugue. Have you by chance encountered that recording?

Had Bruckner had a chance to revise the 9th Finale the fugue would probably have the power of that in the 5th Finale.

I had hoped the Rattle would arrive today. Alas no, but I'll give it a spin as soon as it does!

The only recording I have of the completed Bruckner IX is the Carragan completion led by Yoav Talmi (Oslo Philharmonic) issued by Musical Heritage in 1986 (I believe it's a Chandos recording). It was disappointing. I'm hoping the Rattle is better, but I haven't much hope due to my distrust of him as a conductor.

We'll see...... :roll:

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Sun May 27, 2012 4:54 pm

maestrob wrote:
absinthe wrote:
maestrob wrote:

The only recording I have of the completed Bruckner IX is the Carragan completion led by Yoav Talmi (Oslo Philharmonic) issued by Musical Heritage in 1986 (I believe it's a Chandos recording). It was disappointing. I'm hoping the Rattle is better, but I haven't much hope due to my distrust of him as a conductor.

We'll see...... :roll:
Well...I gave it an airing. I know too little of Rattle to be able to judge though I’ve been happy with the little I know of his modern repertoire. His recording of Debussy’s Jeux is my favourite.

About Bruckner’s 9th though. Hmm.... I can’t tell if it’s poor recording or Rattle not quite illuminating this score. The BPO would have Bruckner in its blood, surely, so it isn‘t them. I noticed that Rattle emphasises the brass in tuttis giving it an abrasive edge. Altogether it seems a bit harsh.

As for the Finale I’m less convinced than with the SPCM’s 2007 attempt (recorded by Layer). In this one they've been a bit heavy handed in filling out the scoring and the coda doesn’t feel right. It’s speculation about how he might have ended this movement - we have reports of his ideas - but this coda doesn't seem final enough. I could be quite wrong: the first and third movements hint that Bruckner was moving in a different direction - more dissonant, intensely chromatic but we’ll never know.

It was briefly available as a pre-order on Amazon for £9.00 so I can't grumble! I had higher hopes (particularly of the recording, based on familiarity with EMI/Klemperer/Beethoven/Bruckner recordings from the 1960s on) and Rattle with Debussy, but I'll give it another go during the week.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 am

Very good listening: imaginative! If you like Shostakovich, you'll probably like this.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

This is a good, but not great performance of Mahler V. Pittsburgh is not the orchestra one automatically associates with Mahler, and this disc is good enough for me to say that something wonderful is happening there: Maestro Honeck easily has a clear guiding hand on the proceedings, and details are very well done.

Elpenor

Post by Elpenor » Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 pm

maestrob wrote: This is a good, but not great performance of Mahler V. Pittsburgh is not the orchestra one automatically associates with Mahler, and this disc is good enough for me to say that something wonderful is happening there: Maestro Honeck easily has a clear guiding hand on the proceedings, and details are very well done.
I remember attending a fantastic performance of Mahler 1 by the Pittsburgh Symphony at the Proms in London in 2001. The conductor at the time was Mariss Jansons. It was among the best Mahler I've seen in concert. Honeck, on the other hand, is not a conductor I'm a big fan of - I remember a routine performance of Mozart's Symphony 40 and Brahms's German Requiem at the same venue.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Just received in the mail today from BRO:

1. 4757552-PHILIPS
Bach, The Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin + Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord. S. 1016-18--Grumiaux, Sartori
Format: 2 CD, Qty: 1, Price: $7.98 ($7.98 ea.)
Code: 149392

2. 92472-SONY/CBS
Shostakovich, Symphony #10.--Philadelphia Orchestra--Ormandy
Format: CD, Qty: 1, Price: $4.99 ($4.99 ea.)
Code: 144799

3. BBCL 4139-2-BBC Legends
Smetana, Bartered Bride Overture. Dvorak, Symphony #8. Janacek: Sinfonietta--London Phil., Tennstedt, cond.
Format: CD, Qty: 1, Price: $6.99 ($6.99 ea.)
Code: 138323

4. TAH 119-TAHRA
Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade.--Berlin RSO. Prokofiev, 'Romeo & Juliet Suite--Leipzig Gewandhaus Orch.--Ancerl. cond.
Format: CD, Qty: 1, Price: $6.99 ($6.99 ea.)
Code: 140653

5. TAH 636/7-TAHRA
CD 1--Beethoven, Piano Concerto #4 [w.Leon Fleisher, piano]; Sym. 6 CD 2--Beethoven: Sym 8. Brahms: Sym 1--Otto Klemperer, cond. Kolner RSO, except for Beethoven 6 with the RIAS Berlin.
Format: 2 CD set, Qty: 1, Price: $15.98
Code: 140683

6. TAH 512/3-TAHRA
Paul van Kampen cond. Berlin Phil.--CD 1--Liszt: Les Preludes. Beethoven: Sym 8. Mendelssohn: Les Hebrides Over. Rossini: Wm Tell Over. CD 2--Berlioz: Benvenuto Cellini Over. Brahms, Piano Concerto #2 [w.Adrian Aeschbacher, piano]
Format: 2 CD set, Qty: 1, Price: $15.98
Code: 140684

7. BBCM 5021-2-BBC
Walton, Belshazzar's Feast--Sir John Pritchard, cond., BBC Sym Orch & Cho. + 2 other choirs--Stephen Roberts, baritone. Sir Charles Mackerras cond. English Chamber Orch.--The Wise Virgins (ballet suite arr. from music of J.S. Bach). Siesta for small orch. Henry V Suite (arr. Muir Mathieson
Format: CD, Qty: 1, Price: $5.99 ($5.99 ea.)
Code: 128791

8. AM 9993-AMBROISIE
Beethoven, The Nine Symphonies.--John Nelson, cond. Ensemble Orchestral de Paris, Guylaine Girard, soprano, Marijana Mijanovic, contralto, Donald Litaker, tenor, Hao Jiang Tian, bass.
Format: 5 CD set, Qty: 1, Price: $19.95
Code: 144978

Before I thought of looking for this last at BRO, I Had it on order from ArkivMusic for about 6 weeks @ $39.95. About a week ago, I received an email cancelling the order because they didn't have it available. Meanwhile, that same weekend, ArchivMusic had a new sale in which this was still listed! Anyway, I got it from BRO in less than a week for about half the money.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:25 am

This is overall an excellent disc. I found the Nuits d'ete a bit rushed in spots, but the playing was very good and who better to sing Berlioz than Anne Sofie von Otter. The Harold in Italy is sensitive and beautifully played by Antoine Tamestit. Bravo! Recommended.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:11 am

This is the best Shostakovich series since Kondrashin. Only Ormandy and HVK come up to the level of this fierce interpretation: the Allegro second movement is positively demonic, and the whole symphony exudes the white-hot energy that Kondrashin brought to his best performances. Truly outstanding! Petrenko is a fine Shostakovich conductor, no doubt!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:15 am

arthound

Post by arthound » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:54 am

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am

Outstanding! This role suits Dessay's voice perfectly. Very fine conducting and musical choices here as well from Emmanuelle Haim and Le Concert d'Astree.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

maestrob wrote:Image

This is the best Shostakovich series since Kondrashin. Only Ormandy and HVK come up to the level of this fierce interpretation: the Allegro second movement is positively demonic, and the whole symphony exudes the white-hot energy that Kondrashin brought to his best performances. Truly outstanding! Petrenko is a fine Shostakovich conductor, no doubt!
I would have to say that I agree with you about this series... :D
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

arthound

Post by arthound » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 am