What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:50 am

Vaughan-Williams's "A Sea Symphony" is a massive undertaking (I've performed it in Carnegie Hall), and the stars must align to bring off a great performance of this work. This latest version from Martyn Brabbins and his great BBC forces begs to be compared to Adrian Boult's and Previn's versions, which brings me to the baritone in this recording, Marcus Farnsworth, who seems slightly overwhelmed by the proceedings: he's just too light for the role given him. The orchestra and the great BBC chorus sound wonderful, and the conducting couldn't be better: Brabbins shows solid confidence in his interpretation and keeps his massive forces under control. A fine reading, marred only by the too-light baritone. The short encore for chorus and strings (Barest thou now, O Soul), is merely a curiosity. Four and 1/2 stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:50 am

Lovingly crafted, this recording of Mozart's final opera has finally been released, with stars Joyce DiDonato and Rolando Villazon, led by the exquisite music-making of Yannick Nezet-Seguin, newly appointed music director of the Metropolitan Opera. Nezet-Seguin draws superbly sensitive playing from the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, as well as from his singers, all of which are first-rank. Pacing is conservative, while the ravishing details are all there, the shaping of notes, the balance of orchestra and singers all combine to make this interesting to the ear as well as the heart. Opera on CD is rare these days, so let this DGG release soar to the top of your want list. Five enthusiastic stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 am

Teodor Currentzis has annoyed me in his interpretations of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, as well with his much-heralded Tchaikovsky VI (see reviews above), but he seems to have a handle on Mahler VI that exudes energy and passion. The fault this time I find here is not with his conducting, but with Sony's engineers who occasionally spotlight certain instruments in order to make them heard over the din. Not a natural sounding recording then, but a subtly artificial one. I must say that the MusicAeterna orchestra responds well to Currentzis: they have been exceedingly well-prepared. Not my favorite Mahler VI, but one worthy of consideration. Four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 am

This disc of Ravel and Duparc, with mezzo Magdalena Kozena has received much good press, and well-deserved. This is my first taste of Robin Ticciati's conducting, and he is quite impressive, here in French music played by the Deutches Symphonie-Orchestra Berlin. Imagine, deeply sensitive playing in French music from a German orchestra! Very idiomatic playing, with nuance and grace and a fine attention to detail, all come together in this refined release. Kozena sings her Duparc selections with great finesse and depth of feeling (4 songs), while Ticciati leads Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe Suite #2 (without chorus) and an exquisite Valses nobles et sentimentales. Get this for the Duparc, and then pay close attention to the details in the Ravel selections. You won't be disappointed! Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:51 am

Daniel Harding has made quite a name for himself in the CD department, especially with an ongoing Mahler cycle with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. His performances have received some positive recognition, but it's early days yet in this conductor's career, and his Mahler, while mostly quite good, disappoints in the final bars of both the Scherzo and the final movement, while the famous Adagio is simply bland. Harding makes the elementary mistake of equating going fast with excitement, which doesn't work for me. In comparison with Solti, Bernstein or Abbado, this performance has small weaknesses here and there, thus, although the energy is good, I can give it only four stars. The orchestra plays quite well when they're given the chance.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:09 pm

As I continue to dive wholeheartedly into the current vinyl celebration, I've been bingeing out particularly on orders from philadelphiamusic, found on the discogs.com site. This site's far from having wholly reputable sellers, but philadelphiamusic has a fairly stringent grading system, as well as fantastic buys. Two months ago I received these classical LPs (as well as an equivalent number of pop discs):

Mussorgsky Songs (exc’s)……Christoff,Tzipine, ONRF (Seraphim 60008)
Szymanowski: Sym. #2, #3……Dorati, Detroit Sym. (London LDR-71026)
Overture Encores (Herold, Suppe, et al.)……. Wolff, PCO (London STS-15021)
The Watergate Comedy Hour……. Burns, Schreiber, Welker et al. (Hidden ST-11202)
The Bitter End Years (folk, comedy, rock)………(Roxbury RLX-300)
Bolero, Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Night on Bald Mountain, etc. ……..Fiedler, Boston Pops (DGG 413689-2)
Balakirev, Liadov orch. works……Ansermet, OSR (London STS-15066)

I'm anticipating another shipment any day now.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 am

Vladimir Jurowski has been appointed as conductor of the State Academy Symphony Orchestra of Russia "Evgeny Svetlanov," and this is Jurowski's take on the world premiere version of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake (1877 version). Jurowski's conducting is quite good as far as tempo and attention to detail is concerned, but the recorded sound is both dry and distant, making the recording dull & boring to listen to. The orchestra plays well, but they are badly recorded in this important release. Pentatone's engineers could sure have done better. Three & 1/2 stars.