Canadian pianists

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Canadian pianists

Post by Lance » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Ah, indeed, Canada has given us some truly greats. No stipulation or restrictions here; you can name Canadian-born or Canadian pianists born elsewhere. Some are also accompanists or performing teachers.

I'll start the ball rolling. Let's see where we can go beyond here:

Arpin, John
Avison, John
Ballon, Ellen
Bernardi, Mario (also conductor)
Cheng, Angela
Chou, Chia
Cole, Nadia
Coop, Jane
Davidson, Tom
Fialkowska, Janina
Gold, Arthur
Gould, Glenn
Goulthard, Jean
Guerrero, Alberto
Hambourg, Mark (Russian)
Hamelin, Marc-André
Hammond, Susan M.
Hewitt, Angela (also British)
Kolessa, Ludbka
Kraus, Greta
Kuerti, Anton
LaPlante, André
Lefèvre, Alain
Lortie, Louis
Maule, Carolyn
Moore, Gerald (also British)
Newmark, John
Nézet-Séguin, Yannick
Parker, Jon Kimura
Pitchko, Lawrence
Ralls, Stephen
Rizikov, Anastasia
Silverman, Robert
Tryon, Valerie (also British)
Turini, Ronald
Varró, Marie-Aimée

If you think of any others, please add to the listing. Some names will probably surprise you!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

stickles

Re: Canadian pianists

Post by stickles » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:45 am

Paul Stewart
Stewart Goodyear

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:04 am

That's quite the list, Lance. To it I'll add Jon Kimura Parker's brother Jamie Parker, who plays with the acclaimed Gryphon Trio and is also a featured soloist in the country.
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:34 am

Lance, what a comprehensive list! Looking at just the first three names (Gould, Hamelin, Hewitt) along with certain other notables (Lortie, Moore), one must wonder: how did a small country like Canada, with one-tenth the population of the United States, manage to produce so many keyboard luminaries?

The Canadian list at least rivals the American-born list, even if one looks only to the five names I mentioned (who, with the exception of Moore, are likewise Canadian-born).

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:48 am

^ That's not to mention pianists like André Laplante and Jon Kimura Parker, who haven't achieved great touring success outside of the country but are fantastic, much-demanded live musicians within Canada. They haven't released too many albums, but some (Laplante's Brahms, Parker's Prokofiev/Tchaikovksy) are on the top of my pile.

P.S.: Canada's population is closer to 1/9th that of the 'States. ;)
Du sollst schlechte Compositionen weder spielen, noch, wenn du nicht dazu gezwungen bist, sie anhören.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:00 am

Imperfect Pitch wrote:how did a small country like Canada, with one-tenth the population of the United States, manage to produce so many keyboard luminaries?
And how did Austria, with 1/4 the population of Canada, manage to produce so many keyboard luminaries? :)

If we're talking about the number of classical musicians per capita of total population, let's put it the other way around. How can an enormous country like the U.S., with many times the population (and the wealth) of any nation in Europe and the western hemisphere, have managed to produce so few classical musicians?

My answer would be because the United States as a nation and a people has never encouraged or supported that particular kind of talent in as big a way, per capita, as those much smaller countries do. We're about popular culture and entertainment, including sports, not high culture.
John Francis

piston

Post by piston » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:07 am

But there are probably more electric guitar players per capita in the USA and the UK than in most other country in the world.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Imperfect Pitch

Post by Imperfect Pitch » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:13 am

John F wrote:
Imperfect Pitch wrote:how did a small country like Canada, with one-tenth the population of the United States, manage to produce so many keyboard luminaries?
And how did Austria, with 1/4 the population of Canada, manage to produce so many keyboard luminaries? :)
Ah, touché! :-) Well, since we are talking about pianists who perform principally European music (much of it Austro-German), that could explain Austria's disproportionate representation. Another plausible reason - not mutually exclusive - is the one you offered.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:12 am

Imperfect Pitch wrote:we are talking about pianists who perform principally European music (much of it Austro-German), that could explain Austria's disproportionate representation. Another plausible reason - not mutually exclusive - is the one you offered.
Actually, the two reasons are one reason - it's not just classical musical performance but classical musical composition that the U.S. has done much less of, per capita, than (for example) Austria, and that has received far less encouragement and support.
John Francis

SueCan

Post by SueCan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Ah, THIS was where I was heading when I got distracted with Opus 111. Lance, didn't Pierre Souverain spend most of his life in Canada? And John Newcomb (sp?). And Marc Durand. I'll have to return to Lance's list to check out others. I too adore the playing of the Quebec contingent: Laplante (check out his CBC recording when he won the Tchaik Competition in 1978 with the Rach #3. It was a cult CD for years even by the Russians, until the CBC released it), Janina Failakovski, Hamelin, and Durand. Did you include little Anastasia?

Why Canadians? I think a lot is due to the excellent training by the Royal Conservatory, modelled on the Royal College in London England. Its syllabus requirements surpass that of many States. Also there was a marvelous nun teacher in Quebec at Vincent d'Indy who taught many of the above..

Come on Canucks, jump in and correct me if I have my names and facts wrong. I don't have many CDs, so I could have some facts wrong.

SueCan

Post by SueCan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Oops, you got Newmark. I wrongly called him Newcomb (thinking of Ethel I guess). Sorry, I'll subside into my Northern climbs again. :? Must go finger the Grieg Cto.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 pm

piston wrote:But there are probably more electric guitar players per capita in the USA and the UK than in most other country in the world.
All I can say is: Lenny Breau.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Here are the ones I've seen over the years:

Cheng, Angela
Cole, Nadia
Coop, Jane
Fialkowska, Janina
Hamelin, Marc-André
Hewitt, Angela (also British) <- she lives in London, but
Kuerti, Anton
LaPlante, André
Lortie, Louis
Parker, Jon Kimura
Silverman, Robert

And - Stewart Goodyear and Jamie Parker as well.

I believe we can lay partial claim to Yuja Wang.

That list looks too short but I cannot think of anyone else at the moment.

One of the more interesting Canadian piano stories is that of 'Piano Six' which originally included six of Canada's foremost pianists dedicated to taking classical music to the smaller centers in Canada and which has now grown into a much larger assemblage called 'Piano Plus'.

Here is the story http://www.pianoplus.ca/en/about/index.cfm

Here's a page of videos of interviews with Canadian pianists. This is pretty cool - http://www.pianoplus.ca/en/videos/index.cfm

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:44 am

Well, to compare myself with Henry, here's who I've seen from the list (all at the piano, including the 'conductors'):

Mario Bernardi
Marc-André Hamelin
Angela Hewitt
Anton Kuerti
Louis Lortie
Yannick Nézét-Séguin
Jamie Parker
Jon Kimura Parker

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:49 am

Ken wrote:Well, to compare myself with Henry, here's who I've seen from the list (all at the piano, including the 'conductors'):

Mario Bernardi
Marc-André Hamelin
Angela Hewitt
Anton Kuerti
Louis Lortie
Yannick Nézét-Séguin
Jamie Parker
Jon Kimura Parker
I've seen Yannick Nézét-Séguin conduct a couple of times but have not seen him play the piano. Formidable?

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

^ I saw him accompany a Tenor for Schubert's Winterreise. I couldn't really detect any virtuosity, but that wasn't exactly a showcase piece.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 am

I've got Yannick Nézét-Séguin on an ATMA CD [22289] accompanying a trombonist in some unique repertoire. The trombonist is Alain Trudel. I'd say, a pretty impressive pianist just from hearing this CD.
slofstra wrote:
Ken wrote:Well, to compare myself with Henry, here's who I've seen from the list (all at the piano, including the 'conductors'):

Mario Bernardi
Marc-André Hamelin
Angela Hewitt
Anton Kuerti
Louis Lortie
Yannick Nézét-Séguin
Jamie Parker
Jon Kimura Parker
I've seen Yannick Nézét-Séguin conduct a couple of times but have not seen him play the piano. Formidable?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:51 am

Did we run out of Canadian pianists?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Has anything changed with regard to my original post TWELVE years ago?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief