Bach Aria Group

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Adair

Bach Aria Group

Post by Adair » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but have the Decca recordings of the sublime Bach Aria Group (under Scheide) been released on cd?

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Bach Aria Group

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I want to say "yes and no." I believe "some" of them have become available on the Bridge label. The ones I was looking for— and have on precious LPs—are those with the participation of the brilliant soprano, Eileen Farrell, and I think, Jan Peerce. I don't believe most of those Deccas have ever been reissued in any format.
Adair wrote:Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but have the Decca recordings of the sublime Bach Aria Group (under Scheide) been released on cd?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Adair

Post by Adair » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:22 pm

I agree. The Peerce-Farrell version of the group is the most memorable, although there are some wonderful pre-Decca incarnations on Vox, conducted by Scheide as well. A complete Bach Aria Group set on cd would be an amazing thing if it were ever released. To me, the Bach Aria Group recordings are up there with the Boulanger Monterverdi recordings, true "desert island discs."

aurora

Post by aurora » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:42 am

what a coincidence. There's a new ad for Hilary Hahn's latest at another board that I frequent & I was just coming here to post a new thread about it.

I have more than 3400 tracks on my iPod & the album that makes me take it off of the 'shuffle' function the most is the Bach Album by Kathleen Battle & Itzhak Perlman (no onger available in stores, apparently). Acquiring more albums of Bach Arias like this is the next step in my ongoing Bach Project. As mentioned in other threads I've listened to clips of every non-recitative track, compiled a list of the ones I liked for their instrumental parts, and have started to hunt down the sheet music for the obligato or violin parts.

the Bach Aria group would definitely be one to watch for, thanks

Adair

Post by Adair » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 am

William Scheide, who founded the Bach Aria Group, will be honored on Tuesday at Princeton with a special concert. (www.scheideconcerts.com). Scheide continues to be a remarkable musicologist and book collector.

Heck148

Post by Heck148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:33 am

Arkiv lists a few discs - highlighting Robert Bloom[ob] and Julius Baker[fl]:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... &bcorder=4

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 am

Yes, the BOSTON RECORDS label was the one I was thinking of when I posted my first response above. The BRIDGE label may also have some of these Bach Aria Group recordings but I'm not 100% certain at the moment.
Heck148 wrote:Arkiv lists a few discs - highlighting Robert Bloom[ob] and Julius Baker[fl]:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/alb ... &bcorder=4
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]