London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by stenka razin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

In a poll commissioned by the Association of British ­Orchestras, whose annual conference begins in Glasgow on March 12th, seven out of 10 ­respondents said they'd like a Nessun Dorma-style theme tune for London 2012, played by a ­British orchestra. The Italians had a gift in ­Puccini (Nessum Dorma) for the 1990 World Cup, but what should the theme be? ­Purcell's Dido's Lament is a bit gloomy, as is Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma ­Variations.

Got any ideas for a theme tune, my fellow CMGers? :wink: 8)

I would suggest 'Jupiter' from Holst's 'The Planets'..How about you?

Image

DavidRoss
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by DavidRoss » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:04 pm

If Al Qaida has it's way, I suspect this would be an appropriate theme:

"Most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." ~Leo Tolstoy

"It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character." ~Dale Turner

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either." ~Albert Einstein
"Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill

Image

Barry
Posts: 10230
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Barry » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm

I love the Olympic Fanfare that they play on NBC when they go in to and out of commercial breaks so much that I'd just stick with that.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." - Winston Churchill

"Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.davidstuff.com/political/wmdquotes.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pbp0hur ... re=related

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Holst is British so I can see that making him a likely candidate...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Modernistfan
Posts: 1820
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:23 pm

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Modernistfan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Something from the "Threepenny Opera" because that is about how much money Britain will have left after blowing a billion pounds or more on these stupid, chauvinistic, drug-soaked, overly commercialized and professionalized Olympic Games.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Barry wrote:I love the Olympic Fanfare that they play on NBC when they go in to and out of commercial breaks so much that I'd just stick with that.
I second that. I think it was written by Williams, it's captured just the air of pride, martial competition, "hey! You're about to see something special!", celebratory fanfare. Nessun Dorma? I don't think so. Too contemplative, even in the over-blown finish Pavarotti always made out of it, and it doesn't have the right tempo. Push to shove? They could pick one of the lesser known Elgar Pomp and Circumstance marches.
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by jbuck919 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm

How about this? Also appropriate for an international and multilingual venue, since, in the grand choral tradition of English oratorio, one cannot understand a single word that is being sung.


There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Corlyss_D » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:42 pm

jbuck919 wrote:How about this? Also appropriate for an international and multilingual venue, since, in the grand choral tradition of English oratorio, one cannot understand a single word that is being sung.

I love it! Great suggestion, John!
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18364
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Too bad Freddie Mercury of Queen is no longer around. His BARCELONA continues to linger in my poor brain. What a hit! Think what he could have done for the London 2012 Olympics, 2012 being our last year of existence (according to Nostradamus and/or the Mayan calendar).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I was once at Freddie's house, in about '76 I think, and I needed to use the bathroom, he had a gold telephone alongside the toilet...I have other stories about him, but, this is not the place to tell them... :wink:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18364
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Have you read the book, Queen: As It Began by Gunn & Jenkins? Lots of info about Freddie and Caballé. How he admired the soprano.
Chalkperson wrote:I was once at Freddie's house, in about '76 I think, and I needed to use the bathroom, he had a gold telephone alongside the toilet...I have other stories about him, but, this is not the place to tell them... :wink:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by piston » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Chalkperson wrote:Holst is British so I can see that making him a likely candidate...
Good choice! But isn't "Mars" a little too combative? And Venus a little too affectionate? :P
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by piston » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Jupiter is a dandy! 8)
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

slofstra
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 am

How about this one:



I think the staging is just perfect for the Olympics too! Sure ... it could be done Nessun Dorma style. Just needs a coupla big notes here and there. You've even got an official Olympics dance here.
Last edited by slofstra on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

slofstra
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 am

Of course, nothing says England like Blake's Jerusalem.


slofstra
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 am

Actually Holst's Jupiter would be quite wonderful.

Did you know there are some words for it already?


Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am

I knew that sooner or later, the (vocal) tone of the place would hit Rock Bottom and someone would bring up Katherine Jenkins, wassup, Henry, do you watch her back to back with Andre Reiu, i'm not sure how to spell his surname...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

slofstra
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 am

Chalkperson wrote:I knew that sooner or later, the (vocal) tone of the place would hit Rock Bottom and someone would bring up Katherine Jenkins, wassup, Henry, do you watch her back to back with Andre Reiu, i'm not sure how to spell his surname...
I never even heard of her before. I just figured that Holst's Jupiter had to be used for something, and found that clip. I figured she was some nobody from Wales or somewhere like that. :mrgreen:

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17667
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:19 am

slofstra wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:I knew that sooner or later, the (vocal) tone of the place would hit Rock Bottom and someone would bring up Katherine Jenkins, wassup, Henry, do you watch her back to back with Andre Reiu, i'm not sure how to spell his surname...
I never even heard of her before. I just figured that Holst's Jupiter had to be used for something, and found that clip. I figured she was some nobody from Wales or somewhere like that. :mrgreen:
She sells millions of records, never set foot on an Opera Stage let along sang an Opera...she's Opera Lite...and i'm Welsh...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

absinthe
Posts: 3624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by absinthe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:35 am

Anything from Holst's Plants Suite. The Dandelion would do. I'll compose it today.

(Nope. This is England so it'll probably be some setting from the Koran)

slofstra
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by slofstra » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
slofstra wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:I knew that sooner or later, the (vocal) tone of the place would hit Rock Bottom and someone would bring up Katherine Jenkins, wassup, Henry, do you watch her back to back with Andre Reiu, i'm not sure how to spell his surname...
I never even heard of her before. I just figured that Holst's Jupiter had to be used for something, and found that clip. I figured she was some nobody from Wales or somewhere like that. :mrgreen:
She sells millions of records, never set foot on an Opera Stage let along sang an Opera...she's Opera Lite...and i'm Welsh...
Well, that is a lovely hymn all the same, and tweak a few words here and there, and voila, Olympic theme song.

And you know it's not going to be opera ... it'll be something from the Boccelli/Dion/Streisand/Houston etc etc school, you know that. There's a closely guarded, secret formula for making these songs. They are good to a certain point, but consistency and predictability of audience response is much more important than artistic expression. It's kind of like making Coca-Cola. Not a fine wine, but everyone will drink it.

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by RebLem » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Modernistfan wrote:Something from the "Threepenny Opera" because that is about how much money Britain will have left after blowing a billion pounds or more on these stupid, chauvinistic, drug-soaked, overly commercialized and professionalized Olympic Games.
Well, then, how about He was despise-ed from Handel's Messiah ? :wink:
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Seán
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Seán » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I am tempted to respond with "some oul pop song about drugs" as it is mainly a drug fest anyway, but I will buy in to the hype and not do so. :lol:
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by jbuck919 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:16 pm

RebLem wrote:
Modernistfan wrote:Something from the "Threepenny Opera" because that is about how much money Britain will have left after blowing a billion pounds or more on these stupid, chauvinistic, drug-soaked, overly commercialized and professionalized Olympic Games.
Well, then, how about He was despise-ed from Handel's Messiah ? :wink:
I was thinking more of "Thou shalt break them."

Another possibility from Messiah: "But thanks be to God (who giveth us the victory)"

Or, after a heartbreak defeat: "Behold and see (if there be any sorrow like unto his sorrow)"

Other ideas?

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

IcedNote
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by IcedNote » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Well as long as Susan Boyle performs it...

-G

PS. I bet most people think she's British, so her nationality is negligible. :P
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Corlyss_D
Site Administrator
Posts: 27663
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:25 am
Location: The Great State of Utah
Contact:

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Corlyss_D » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:49 am

Seán wrote:I am tempted to respond with "some oul pop song about drugs" as it is mainly a drug fest anyway, but I will buy in to the hype and not do so. :lol:
With a Little Help From My Friends?
Corlyss
Contessa d'EM, a carbon-based life form

Marc
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: London 2012 Olympics...What Should The Theme Tune Be?.....

Post by Marc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Corlyss_D wrote:
Seán wrote:I am tempted to respond with "some oul pop song about drugs" as it is mainly a drug fest anyway, but I will buy in to the hype and not do so. :lol:
With a Little Help From My Friends?
Yeah. Good suggestion.
Although I myself was thinking of All Together Now, a fine little tune for the Olympics IMO, with that notorious line "can I bring my friend to tea?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7X-03MWd9k

You know, tea, which was also drunk by Dirk (and his fellow band members) of The Rutles during their Tragical History Tour. His confession in the newspapers ("I drink tea!") shocked the entire world.

http://www.rutles.org/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 27 guests