COLIN DAVIS LSO 'LIVE' SIBELIUS

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Istvan

COLIN DAVIS LSO 'LIVE' SIBELIUS

Post by Istvan » Sat May 15, 2010 8:50 am

What is the sound like on Davis's third Sibelius symphony cycle? I have been very dispappointed with what I have heard of performances recorded in the Barbican Centre (for instance, the same conductor's "Roméo et Juliette"), which sounds so dry and boxy.
Cheers

Istvan

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator

Re: COLIN DAVIS LSO 'LIVE' SIBELIUS

Post by stenka razin » Sat May 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Istvan, this is Sir Colin's third go round with the Sibelius. I cannot answer your question, but, Davis' Philips Boston and London RCA CDs are excellent, mate. :D :D :D :D

Seán

Post by Seán » Sat May 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Istvan, like you I do not like the LSO recordings made in the Barbican, but we are stuck with them I 'm afraid.
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

josé echenique

Post by josé echenique » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 am

Most of the LSO live recorded sound have been disappointing, especially when compared to the rival Live Concertgebouw recordings and most especially, the recent Live Bayerischen Rundfunks recordings which, from a Hi-Fi point of view are state-of-the-art.
Still not all the LSO Live sound the same, some are better than others.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Sun May 16, 2010 10:02 am

For Davis' Sibelius, I'd stick with the BSO recordings, visceral and well recorded for their age.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

val

Post by val » Tue May 18, 2010 4:22 am

Yes, Colin Davis with the Boston Orchestra gave a very good version of Sibelius Symphonies, in special the 5th. The 2nd is also good.