Wilhelm Kempff (Pianist) “Rarities”

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Wilhelm Kempff (Pianist) “Rarities”

Post by Lance » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Andromeda 9056, 5 CDs

Wilhelm Kempff, pianist
Rarities Recordings: 1939-1958
Andromeda 9056, ADD

Wilhelm Kempff [1895-1991] was one of the most respected pianists of the 20th century. Kempff recorded prolifically for Deutsche Grammophon but also made a number of recordings for British Decca. Early on, his 78-rpm recordings were made for other companies and issued on the now defunct French Dante label. His reissued recordings have also appeared on a number of independent labels such as BBC Legends, Koch, Hänssler, Andromeda, Archipel, Tahra, Melodram, and Music & Arts among others.

The problem with some of these labels is that they swipe material from other labels who have spent the time and money to remaster and reissue the material. Some labels mark their releases "From Original Sources." That original source could be an LP recording, not necessarily the original tape or copy thereof. Some of these labels also issue previously unreleased recordings. Collectors just have to be observant and know their material. Here's a rundown of material on this five-CD set.

CD 1:
•Beethoven: Piano Concerto #4 in G, Op. 58
w/Orchester des Reichssenders Breslau; Hermann Abendroth, conductor
(r. Breslau, Apr 13 1939)
•Mozart: Piano Concerto #21 in C Major, K. 467
w/Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester, Leipzig; Hans Weisbach, conductor
(r. Leipzig, Apr 3 1939)
•Mozart: Rondo for Piano and Orchestra in D, K. 382
w/Dresden Philharmonic; Paul van Kempen, conductor
(r. Dresden, 1941)

CD 2:
•Beethoven: Piano Concerto #1 in C Major, Op. 15
w/National Orchestra-France; Carl Schuricht, conductor
(r. Montreux, Sep 14 1955)
•Beethoven: Piano Concerto #2 in B, Op. 19
w/SWR Orchestra; Hans Müller-Kray, conductor
(r. Liederhalle, Stuttgart, 1957)

CD 3:
•Mozart: 10 Variations for Piano in G ("Unser dummer Pöbel meint") from Gluck's "Pilger von Mekka," K455
•Mozart: Fantasy in c, K475
•Mozart: Sonata #18 in D, K576
(r. Ludwigsburg, Jul 13 1956)
•Schumann: Arabeske in C, Op. 18
•Schumann: Symphonic Etudes, Op. 13
(r. Rome, Feb 26 1955)

CD 4:
•Beethoven: Six Bagatelles, Op. 126
•Brahms: Sonata #3 in f, Op. 5
(r. Mozarteum, Salzburg, Jul 31 1958)
•Beethoven: Sonata #2 in c, Op. 111
(r. seidlhaus, Munich, Mar 20 1951)

CD 5:
•Mozart: Piano Concerto #20 in d, K466
w/Berlin Philharmonic; Herbert von Karajan, conductor
(r. Berlin, Jan 21 1956)
•Liszt: Years of Pilgrimage: Suisse
-Au lac de Wallenstadt
-Eglogue
-Au bord d'une source
•Liszt: Years of Pilgrimate: Italy
-Sonetto del Petrarca No. 123
(r. Hamburg, Aug 18 1945)
•Chopin: Berceuse in D-flat, Op. 57
(r. Hamburg, Oct 10 1945)
•Chopin: Mazurka in f, Op. 7/3
•Chopin: Mazurka in C, Op. 56/2
(r. Hamburg, Aug 18 1945)
•Fauré: Nocturne #6 in D-flat, Op. 63
(r. Hamburg, Oct 10 1945)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

ayevey

Re: Wilhelm Kempff (Pianist) “Rarities”

Post by ayevey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Lance (or anyone else for that matter),

I am wondering if you might have any leads on where to look for this apparently out of print box set. I am devoted to Kempff, but have not been able to find this available anywhere, except on Amazon where they are asking for over $700 for it. Yikes.

In any case, thanks for the post! I hadn't realized Kempff recorded a few of these pieces, and now they have become my White Whale to look for.

Best wishes,
David Diamond

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi David. That Andromeda set [0-57] is now eight years old this year (2018). I see a copy of the five-disc set on Amazon USA for $120. When I got it originally, it was for less than $25 for the set including postage. I'm doing a little checking for you to see if I can find something more price suitable, so far, finding nothing cheaper than the $120 above.
ayevey wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

I am wondering if you might have any leads on where to look for this apparently out of print box set. I am devoted to Kempff, but have not been able to find this available anywhere, except on Amazon where they are asking for over $700 for it. Yikes.

In any case, thanks for the post! I hadn't realized Kempff recorded a few of these pieces, and now they have become my White Whale to look for.

Best wishes,
David Diamond
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:31 pm

ayevey wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Best wishes,
David Diamond
Hi, David, and welcome! :) Please post frequently and often.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:46 pm

The box is on Spotify - I'm listening to it now.

ayevey

Post by ayevey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. Please do let me know, anyone, if you find an affordable copy of this box (relative, I know, but $120 is a lot and they won't ship to where I live in Mexico anyhow). I will get back to posting on here. I am an active reader, but I know it's been a long while since I contributed...

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

So sorry this is not a convenient label to acquire in Mexico. Speaking of Mexico, just how is the classical record market there? I was there some years ago, but cannot recall a thing about the recordings available there. And yes, we would love to see you here much more!
ayevey wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm
Thanks for the replies. Please do let me know, anyone, if you find an affordable copy of this box (relative, I know, but $120 is a lot and they won't ship to where I live in Mexico anyhow). I will get back to posting on here. I am an active reader, but I know it's been a long while since I contributed...
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

ayevey

Post by ayevey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Hey Lance,

When I lived in Mexico City, there was a great selection of CDs available at a chain called MixUp. (Don't ask me why, as I have never understood the name). After all, Mexico City is unapologetically a very cosmopolitan city with various orchestras and a generally vibrant musical and cultural scene.

However, my wife being from Sinaloa, we ended up living in this in some parts beautiful but in all parts backwater state, and notwithstanding the state orchestra, which very proudly boasts a large assortment of expat outcast musicians, the art music situation here is as exciting as Mr. Rogers.

Incidentally, in terms of dominating musical tastes here, there is a certain type of Mexican music called "banda" which originated with the arrival of piston wind instruments and polka and marching band type music from Germany in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, via what was then a significant wave of German immigrants to this region. In fact, legend here is that the first banda group was the product of Mexicans playing with or emulating the playing of the Germans who opened the (here) famous brewery Pacifico right here in Mazatlán and had some sort of pickup band themselves, which, of course played German oompah music.

In any case, this banda music is quite the bee's knees here and all throughout Mexico, much to my chagrin and to the extent that, alongside other Mexican styles - like mariachi, bachata, salsa, bolero, etc. - it seems most locals have no idea other types of music even exist. They surely wouldn't know the difference between Bach and Brahms to save their lives, and most don't even know a single piece of art music or a single composer by name. I am often brought to mind of a scene in the movie "The Blues Brothers" when the musicians show up at a cowboy bar, and, upon inquiring as to what type of music is generally played there, they are informed by the proprietor, "We got both kinds! Country AND Western."

The only places I have encountered selling physical music of any kind (other than the cheaply pirated Mexican music CDs being sold from the back of a pickup truck by the side of the road wherever there are speed bumps - a good marketing decision in terms of location, I suppose, on the part of the piraters) are the mall stores that have a seemingly endless selection of music that, frankly, to me all sounds the same, but that do not even have a clearly or otherwise marked section, small though it may have been, of classical music. What there usually is to be found is a small shelf or bin, or half of one, with a jumble of non-Mexican/Latin discs, among which there are always some Three Tenors CDs, some recording of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi, a disc or two by the Piano Guys (Who ARE they, anyway?), David Garrett, and maybe Lang Lang, in addition to a couple of operas I suppose the narcos or other nouveau-riche think represent high culture and therefore own but probably never play, such as Pagliacci. (They call it Los Payasos here. :P )

So, I am forced to sustain myself with Amazon, eBay, and other Internet shops, though the Mexican mail system does a great job of losing more than half of what I order. Good thing I have a big collection already! And thank the Lord for this forum, where I can encounter other folks of good taste. The quality of the tacos and tequila notwithstanding, it sure is a desert down here in terms of high culture!

Cheers!

David

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Do try to obtain the BBC Legends single cd of his 1969 recital at the QEH in London, outstanding performances of the Brahms 3rd Piano Sonata,Op.5 ; Schumann's " Papillons",Op.2 ; and Schumann's "Fantasy " , Op.17. I heard an interview with pianist Imogen Cooper during which interview she advised she and her mentor Alfred Brendel attended that recital and Brendel said Kempff's playing" miraculous". A bit tired by the "Fantasy ", but a great cd.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Wow! What a wonderful comeback! I almost feel like I am right there with you, your description of the environment is so realistic I'm thinking of hopping a plane and checking it all out! (Being facetious, of course). You have given us a good picture of the state of the present musical culture in Mexico. One place I visited was called Taxco, known for its silver mines. I always said if I ever had another honeymoon, it would be in Taxco. [It hasn't been necessary for that to occur - yet!] Besides Mexico City and Cuernavaca, there were other places I enjoyed very much. I happened to be a chaperone for a bunch of kids who were visiting Mexico, down by plane, then buses taking us around. All the young ones got Montezuma's Revenge. Thankfully, I was one of the few that didn't endure that. But I remember them singing new words to the song, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." The new words were, "I Left My Bowels in Cuernavaca." Just thought I'd relate that and give you a laugh for the day. I felt so sorry for all these sickly people having to ride in a bumpy bus, which didn't help matters much.

Anyway, I am disappointed that you cannot have access to the huge numbers of recordings that are continually being released, historical and otherwise. It appears, when I went to visit Amazon's Mexican site, the prices were seemingly insane, if, indeed, the prices were showing in US dollars. And still a shame is when you order from Amazon and don't receive your merchandise. What do you think happens to it? Does Amazon make it right when you don't things?

Mexico has provided music with a number of superb composers and performing musicians. I immediately think of Polish violinist Henryk Szeryng, who more or less referred to Mexico as his second home. But then you have Jorge Federico Osorio, pianist; composer-conductor Carlos Chávez; composer Silvestra Revueltas; conductors Eduardo Mata and Jorge Mester not to mention a whole host of singers.

We are happy you enjoy our the CMG forum here and look forward to hearing from you on a regular basis, as your time permits.

I really enjoyed reading your post!

ayevey wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:06 pm
Hey Lance,

When I lived in Mexico City, there was a great selection of CDs available at a chain called MixUp. (Don't ask me why, as I have never understood the name). After all, Mexico City is unapologetically a very cosmopolitan city with various orchestras and a generally vibrant musical and cultural scene.

However, my wife being from Sinaloa, we ended up living in this in some parts beautiful but in all parts backwater state, and notwithstanding the state orchestra, which very proudly boasts a large assortment of expat outcast musicians, the art music situation here is as exciting as Mr. Rogers.

Incidentally, in terms of dominating musical tastes here, there is a certain type of Mexican music called "banda" which originated with the arrival of piston wind instruments and polka and marching band type music from Germany in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, via what was then a significant wave of German immigrants to this region. In fact, legend here is that the first banda group was the product of Mexicans playing with or emulating the playing of the Germans who opened the (here) famous brewery Pacifico right here in Mazatlán and had some sort of pickup band themselves, which, of course played German oompah music.

In any case, this banda music is quite the bee's knees here and all throughout Mexico, much to my chagrin and to the extent that, alongside other Mexican styles - like mariachi, bachata, salsa, bolero, etc. - it seems most locals have no idea other types of music even exist. They surely wouldn't know the difference between Bach and Brahms to save their lives, and most don't even know a single piece of art music or a single composer by name. I am often brought to mind of a scene in the movie "The Blues Brothers" when the musicians show up at a cowboy bar, and, upon inquiring as to what type of music is generally played there, they are informed by the proprietor, "We got both kinds! Country AND Western."

The only places I have encountered selling physical music of any kind (other than the cheaply pirated Mexican music CDs being sold from the back of a pickup truck by the side of the road wherever there are speed bumps - a good marketing decision in terms of location, I suppose, on the part of the piraters) are the mall stores that have a seemingly endless selection of music that, frankly, to me all sounds the same, but that do not even have a clearly or otherwise marked section, small though it may have been, of classical music. What there usually is to be found is a small shelf or bin, or half of one, with a jumble of non-Mexican/Latin discs, among which there are always some Three Tenors CDs, some recording of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi, a disc or two by the Piano Guys (Who ARE they, anyway?), David Garrett, and maybe Lang Lang, in addition to a couple of operas I suppose the narcos or other nouveau-riche think represent high culture and therefore own but probably never play, such as Pagliacci. (They call it Los Payasos here. :P )

So, I am forced to sustain myself with Amazon, eBay, and other Internet shops, though the Mexican mail system does a great job of losing more than half of what I order. Good thing I have a big collection already! And thank the Lord for this forum, where I can encounter other folks of good taste. The quality of the tacos and tequila notwithstanding, it sure is a desert down here in terms of high culture!

Cheers!

David
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm
But then you have Jorge Federico Osorio, pianist; composer-conductor Carlos Chávez;
We are happy you enjoy our the CMG forum here and look forward to hearing from you on a regular basis, as your time permits.
ayevey wrote:

A must-hear, Chavez' Piano Concerto, Osorio as pianist :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efahrHI1CUo

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes, and my old friend, pianist Eugene List also recorded that concerto with Chavez conducting. It appeared on an MCA CD, which I think is long out of print.
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm
Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm
But then you have Jorge Federico Osorio, pianist; composer-conductor Carlos Chávez;
ayevey wrote:

A must-hear, Chavez' Piano Concerto, Osorio as pianist :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efahrHI1CUo
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:27 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm
Yes, and my old friend, pianist Eugene List also recorded that concerto with Chavez conducting. It appeared on an MCA CD, which I think is long out of print.
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

That List/Chavez/Chavez Concerto is also at YT. Speaking further of List and Chavez , I have their Westminster lp of the 2 MacDowell piano concertos, Chavez conducting Vienna State Opera Orchestra. Both works under-appreciated I think.

Here is that List MacDowell No.1 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQH0vt-It0

There is also a List MacDowell No.2 at YT, different recording, orchestra.