An observation

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

An observation

Post by piston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:41 pm

We're quite "slow" at generating new channels of conversation in the classical music chatterbox. Not extremely slow, like one post a day, but nevertheless far slower than the generation of new topics in the Pub. Lance probably contributes the lion's share of new threads in the chatterbox. Other than him, including yours truly, we're really posting at a snail pace. Anticipating some comments, I realize that it's not a race. Still, it's nice to have several new daily channels of communication on classical music.

Are we getting old? :?:
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: An observation

Post by ravel30 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Piston,

I noticed the same thing as you. I was trying to find reasons why this was the case. First, I thought that it may be because it is the Summer and people are travelling, taking holidays or have other things to do during that beautiful season. Then I thought that maybe this was because not much is happening in classical music lately but realized that it was probably not true as so much seems to be happening. Maybe the presence of Corlyss_D is starting to get felt ?

I do not know the cause of it but for me, it somehow feel like CMG is slowly dying. Please do not feel bad when I say this but this forum was so much more interesting in the recent past as oppose to now. Can't say that I am much better than anyone here since I don't write much more anymore, but this is really what I feel at times.

I cannot help but think of this very touching and sad thread that IcedNote wrote a few weeks ago announcing us that he was leaving. I thought for some times that I may do the same thing as him but then anytime I read comments from Chalkie, Sean, Fergus, Prometheus, Lance, Jared (when he is around), Stenka Razin, NancyElla, Trilogy (where are you my friend ?) and TheHorn, I realize how much CMG (and the chatterbox) is an enriching place to be part of.

Anyways, this thread is far from been about me or my personal experience. And think that Piston is pointed out a relatively alarming situation and I think that it is my duty as an advanced Newbie to ask a lot of questions (when I have time) to all of you. You have all being wonderful guides regarding classical music.

Matt.

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: An observation

Post by piston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 pm

I wouldn't say that it is "slowly dying," Matt. This board is comprised of numerous knowledgeable and mature members who, I'm guessing, are not comfortable elsewhere (isn't that diplomatic? :lol: ). But there could be a drawback to its demographic profile -- a lot of topics have been visited and addressed before!

The fact that CMG does not follow the "do-not-duplicate-the-same-thread" philosophy of other boards can be viewed both positively and negatively. I am a very occasional member of "autour de la musique classique," a c.m. board in France, where they systematically follow this single thread per topic approach. It's astounding how much reading it involves -- carrying over the same thread, page after page, for several years. And for popular composers this approach yields several different topics such as "orchestral works," "chamber music," "piano," "opera," etc., but without ever duplicating a thread.

One problem with our less reading-intensive approach on these sites is that older members no longer comment on topics they visited before, such as "Brahms" in general or even Britten in general!

In a sense, this board is more user friendly than the other model where one is always anxious not to duplicate an existing thread. At the same time, failure to recognize that these topics have often been visited before leads to less participation.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: An observation

Post by John F » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Many who love classical music aren't comfortable talking about it, beyond saying "I like" or "I don't like," while everyone and his barber is happy to hold forth endlessly on just about anything else. :) Also, as you say, "a lot of topics have been visited and addressed before," and it isn't very stimulating to go over old ground again and again. That said, there's plenty of classical music talk here, and I don't see any loss of vitality or quality.
John Francis

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: An observation

Post by piston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 pm

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Schumann found his way in this thread as well. Some comments on "I like" or "I don't like" tend to recur everywhere. :mrgreen:
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Re: An observation

Post by Werner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 pm

I don't know that it is anything more than Summer doldrums. I know that I've been a bit less active lately - but cheer up, you're not safe!

I think Mark Twain would have the answer to the suspicion of this board "slowly dying." With such different assets as - to mention just a few - John F, JBuck, Chalkie, Ralph - I could fill space with the names of favorites, without even mentioning the heart and soul of the site the one and only LANCE G. HILL, methinks this site is as vital as ever. (My apologies to the many friends I hsvrn't mentioned for brevity's sake - we all know who you are!)

While I'm sounding off, let me ask Lance whether it's been a more complex job than expected to post some of our meetup photos here. I know I lack the necessary skills and don't want to impose, but perhaps if some of our absent friends could see some of the great bunch that were actually ablbe to show up, they'd realize what a lively bunch this is (well, some of them!)
..
Werner Isler

RebLem
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 1:06 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by RebLem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:43 am

Werner wrote:I don't know that it is anything more than Summer doldrums. I know that I've been a bit less active lately - but cheer up, you're not safe!

I think Mark Twain would have the answer to the suspicion of this board "slowly dying." With such different assets as - to mention just a few - John F, JBuck, Chalkie, Ralph - I could fill space with the names of favorites, without even mentioning the heart and soul of the site the one and only LANCE G. HILL, methinks this site is as vital as ever. (My apologies to the many friends I hsvrn't mentioned for brevity's sake - we all know who you are!)
TY, Werner, I agree, but two things--first of all, I haven't seen much of Donald here lately, and I've been wondering why, and I thought to ask since you are the forum expert on all things Donald. :wink:

Secondly, to Lance--its time for a new Taking Stock before I get completely packed up for my move and can't write about stuff in my collection for a while. How about something a bit more popular than some of your recent choices? I'd suggest the Mozart Requiem--there is the interesting issue of various recently reconstructed new endings as well as all the usual peformance issues to talk about.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Jack Kelso
Posts: 3004
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Mannheim, Germany

Re: An observation

Post by Jack Kelso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 am

piston wrote:On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Schumann found his way in this thread as well. Some comments on "I like" or "I don't like" tend to recur everywhere. :mrgreen:
Well, Schumann DID find his way into this thread----thank you for doing it. :wink: If I do feel he is needed in a particular thread, I will mention him in a positive manner (better than bashing him).

I do my best to actively discuss all possible music topics in which I am interested (which are quite a few!). There might be a couple of people here who feel I'm obsessed with only one composer, but a cursory examination of my recent and older posts will prove the contrary---and confirm the fact that I post on subjects from Purcell to Prokofiev and beyond. I don't stick just to the mainstream repertoire either.

I don't believe CMG is "dying". Many fine commentators just don't have the time to post each and every day. Being retired now, I generally find enough time to devote to this fine forum. I hope it stays that way!

Tschüß,
Jack
"Schumann's our music-maker now." ---Robert Browning

jserraglio
Posts: 6303
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: An observation

Post by jserraglio » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:36 am

I don't post here that often but CMG was the first forum I ever joined and I keep coming back. I find its topics interesting and informative. As a non-musician, I like the fact that there are trained musicians here who can put me right when I say something dumb. I like that the musical topics are eclectic--not all focused on recordings for example. And there are real discussions here, maybe not enough of them but still quite a few to keep me hooked.

As for the good old days at CMG, what about the "lunatics" that used to post here with some regularity before Lance and Corlyss applied restraints? Recall the Allan Pettersson nutcase? The Pelleasetmelisande zombie? Or The Fratbrat Kid who erected obstacle courses around every topic he started up and woe to those who dared to express an contrary opinion ?

That said, I'll try to participate a bit more, but dreaming up new topics is not my forte.
Last edited by jserraglio on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heck148
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: New England

Re: An observation

Post by Heck148 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:06 am

piston wrote:On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Schumann found his way in this thread as well.
yup!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by slofstra » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am

I think the replies here are evidence that the board is not dying. We used to use a water tank analogy to illustrate how inventory flowed through a warehouse and the same analogy might apply here. Imagine a tank full of liquid effluent with an inflow pipe at the top at one end and an exit pipe at the other end, also at the top. New liquid is continually entering the tank. I hope you can see that this could also be an analogy for CMG membership. Some high speed liquid will flow quickly across the top of the tank - in and out. Some will swirl around for a bit before exiting. Some will keep going around in circles almost indefinitely. And some will sink to the bottom of the tank and just lie there. :lol: :lol: Now figure out which category you fit into.

maestrob
Posts: 6981
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: An observation

Post by maestrob » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 am

Every board I've been on has gone through the summer doldrums at this time of the year. People are vacationing, and not much is happening in performances or recordings during the month of August.

Not to worry: we'll be "up to speed" again in a flash :wink: .

stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Re: An observation

Post by stenka razin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

I try to post, as often as I can, but, as you can see my Glenn Gould post has not had one comment yet. That makes me sad, because I really wanted to give all of you a great tip on something very good and something very economical.
The more enthusiasm we show in commenting will probably encourage others to chime in and post. If we do not comment, that could be a downer and you all know how extremely positive I am. 8)

Glenn Gould link below:

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 10&t=36265
Image

hangos
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: England

Re: An observation

Post by hangos » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

I don't think CMG is dying - just wait until the summer is over! :)
I agree that some of us are wary of re-opening a topic, but for me it's not a problem.
I have noticed that the number of replies does seem to be dwindling ; this obviously has a deterrent effect on people bothering to post a new topic in the first place :oops:
Chin up!
Martin

ch1525
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by ch1525 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:39 pm

stenka razin wrote:I try to post, as often as I can, but, as you can see my Glenn Gould post has not had one comment yet. That makes me sad, because I really wanted to give all of you a great tip on something very good and something very economical.
The more enthusiasm we show in commenting will probably encourage others to chime in and post. If we do not comment, that could be a downer and you all know how extremely positive I am. 8)

Glenn Gould link below:

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... 10&t=36265
This is exactly why I haven't posted as much recently. It's just too annoying to start a topic or add something to a thread and then have it receive no response. It's happened to me several times. I'm talking about my posts on the Chatterbox, not my anti-Obama posts on the Pub! :P

John F
Posts: 21076
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: An observation

Post by John F » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:53 pm

stenka razin wrote:I try to post, as often as I can, but, as you can see my Glenn Gould post has not had one comment yet. That makes me sad
Patience, patience! It had only been on the board 3 hours, and for much of the U.S. that was fairly early in the morning. I see a response was posted not long after, and 57 people have read it. As online forums go, that's not bad.

(I've nothing to say about the Gould set myself because I'm not at all a Gould fan and don't buy many CDs nowadays anyway.)
John Francis

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: An observation

Post by ravel30 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 pm

I knew that people would jump on my ''slowly dying'' comment. I don't know if the chatterbox is slowly dying in the absolute but I know my interest is. That was what I was trying to explain.

I am sorry stenka razin but Glenn Gould is not my cup of tea. He is a big icon here in Canada but he always left me indifferent. I understand how you feel about having a small number of responses to a thread you put effort into. All I can say is that I am sure that one day you will start a thread and many people will response to it. Same to you ch1525.

I really don't buy that people don't write much anymore because they already answered a particular question. Opinion changes over the years. What I answered 2 years ago may be very different to what I could answer now.

Not too sure about the fact that it is the Summer either. I was there last Summer and CMG was very dynamic at that time. And it is not just this summer that had a downturn but well before that too. I remember when all those threads on favorites came out. I thought that the idea was good and I enjoyed them for some times but then people started to make fun of them and ridiculed them. That is when it started to 'slowy die' in my mind.

Matt.

Chosen Barley
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:42 am
Location: Canada

Re: An observation

Post by Chosen Barley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 pm

If one is not a musician or doesn't have a lot of talent as an amateur (hey, I'm not naming names) then he or she may enjoy inserting a little tidbit into the more learned discussions but that is as far as one can go. Never fear, the non-musicians here are picking up some of your erudition. Moi, I am just floored at how much some of you know and by the size of your record collections. :shock:

Hey, how about a contest with a neat prize going to the member who can bring in the most new ones? We all ante up $5.00 and then...no, this may not work; CMG (that's Lance) would have to get a PayPal account first and I guess he has enough to do. :wink:
STRESSED? Spell it backwards for the cure.

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by Chalkperson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

ravel30 wrote:I knew that people would jump on my ''slowly dying'' comment. I don't know if the chatterbox is slowly dying in the absolute but I know my interest is. That was what I was trying to explain..
Reports of our death have been extremely exaggerated, you guys expect too much too soon, the fact that Mel does not get many responses to Glenn Gould may have to do with the fact that many of us already own those recordings, up until a couple of weeks ago the Pub was literally breathing it's last breath, then it picked up again...I personally don't start Threads as I just don't have the time, yet i'm the 4th highest poster, so there must be a lot of things on CMG that I am interested in...Matt, you are young and want instant gratification, us older folks have much more patience...don't worry about this, Lance and Jared usually start a lot of threads but they are not around that much at the moment, they will return...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Fergus
Posts: 4197
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: An observation

Post by Fergus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm

I really am not quite sure how to respond to this thread. I personally still enjoy logging on to this site (strictly Classical Music Chatterbox only) because, firstly, I have learned so much from you guys since I joined and , secondly, I still continue to learn and get great recommendations which I continually purchase and enjoy. So, fundamentally the site still fulfils the primary reason for my joining in the first place.

I do think that one thing that should be taken into consideration in relation to “discussion” is the different cultural differences that exist between both sides of the Atlantic. This varied membership is also one of the strong points of CMG in my opinion but one has to understand that there are things that are “local” to you guys over there that we cannot comment on because we cannot experience the situation e.g. recent discussions on orchestras and conductors etc. (interesting to read though!).

I would be positive in general though. People should value what we have here and realise that people like me do still enjoy and benefit from the experience and generous help and guidance that is usually forthcoming from the general and varied membership. OK, not everyone is an eager or willing poster but that is not to say that they do not enjoy what they get out of CMG....after all lots do still log on and read. Keep the faith guys :D

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: An observation

Post by piston » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:08 pm

I certainly do (love these forums; keep the faith; etc.). As for the more "local" topics please pitch in as well with you own localities.

A lively flow of communication channels, whatever the topic, is what I was hoping to stimulate. Nothing more.
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Guitarist
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: An observation

Post by Guitarist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

At least things are civil here...has anyone visited the newsgroup rec.music.classical.recordings? :shock: There are a few spammers that use bot programs to post dozens of pedophile accusations against one another...it's about the most disgusting and childish situation one can imagine. On a very rare occasion, some useful post, such as the new Lazar Berman Liszt set will come up, but not often enough!

piston
Posts: 10767
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Re: An observation

Post by piston » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I would think that there's ground for a law suit in such a setting. What's the term again? lolsuit. check it out!
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Internet_lawsuit
(some popups)
In the eyes of those lovers of perfection, a work is never finished—a word that for them has no sense—but abandoned....(Paul Valéry)

Wallingford
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: An observation

Post by Wallingford » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm

I've had a few more-ambitious-than-usual threads I'll be starting one of these days.....patience please...... :)
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

absinthe
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: An observation

Post by absinthe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 pm

ravel30 wrote:I knew that people would jump on my ''slowly dying'' comment. I don't know if the chatterbox is slowly dying in the absolute but I know my interest is. That was what I was trying to explain.
. . . . . . . . .
I really don't buy that people don't write much anymore because they already answered a particular question. Opinion changes over the years. What I answered 2 years ago may be very different to what I could answer now.

Not too sure about the fact that it is the Summer either. I was there last Summer and CMG was very dynamic at that time. And it is not just this summer that had a downturn but well before that too. I remember when all those threads on favorites came out. I thought that the idea was good and I enjoyed them for some times but then people started to make fun of them and ridiculed them. That is when it started to 'slowy die' in my mind.

Matt.
Oh.... Sorry to hear that, Matt, about the favourites. Their absence was one of my attractions to CMG. I knew when I first encountered CMG that here were knowledgeable people, professionals (including some truly educated listeners) and I'd benefit from having my somewhat narrow musical interests broadened a bit. It's happened more within the discussions than those lists of favourites, I have to say. But each to their own.

I joined up in the vain hope that I might contribute in return (when those narrow interests arose) for what I was taking as I lurked.
I've never balanced the books but I try.

I'm still something of a Bulletin Board greenhorn so my comments on this topic don't count for too much. I'm obviously flattered when one of my posts is acknowledged - and I did enjoy the chat about Bax and Ireland! I also miss chat about Debussy and other symbolists/impressionists (whichever you choose), Ravel and a few more.

CMG changed in subtle ways about a year after I joined. But I suppose it's the way of things that valuable virtual communities like CMG will shift focus over time. Isn't that good - the site will never stagnate with the huge pool of the knowledge ready to be put forth. It may seem static right now but another of its attractions is its dynamic; ability to grow while taking time out to consolidate here and there.
Currently the emphasis is on Austro-German music with a little Sibelius and ex-comecon thrown in. But sooner or later someone raise a topic outside that range - as you did with Bax.

It's certainly the most pleasant CM site I found; a greater emphasis on friendship and a communal passion for music than confrontation (which does happen, of course - unfortunately it's come my way but one has to live with these things or leave - quite the exception though). But it would be far poorer if posters said "I agree" all the time,
don't you think?

Some members refer to themselves as oldies. But it's them who have a huge backlog of experience - listening, performing, broadcasting, collecting music that can only be held in respect; and do you know what? It brings me to another reason I joined: my occupation for the past 2/3 years has often kept me away from practical music, even attentive listening. And CMG has gone a long way to keeping me in touch. So I am in debt to it.

I'll be here until I'm thrown out. It's a very positive place. It nurtures newcomers - it puts up with me, a sort of inbetweener. What more could I ask?

:)

Werner
CMG's Elder Statesman
Posts: 4223
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm
Location: Irvington, NY

Re: An observation

Post by Werner » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 pm

No "vain hope" about the vallue of your contributions, Absinthe - I look to your posts for relevance and intelligence - agree with you or not on any particular.

Do us a favo(u)r and stick around!
Werner Isler

Donald Isler
Posts: 3041
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by Donald Isler » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 am

Didn't know I was that "important" around here, but thanks, Robert! My recent "contributions" have been reviews I wrote about the recent IKIF programs. Will post more on the Chatterbox if I think I have anything relevant to say.
Donald Isler

ravel30
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: An observation

Post by ravel30 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:29 am

Oh my, I am slightly losing my dignity around here because of my comments on this thread. First of all, I will invite you all to read again what I wrote. I never said that the Chatterbox was not a good place to be, that people were not kind and uninteresting. On the contrary, it is a marvellous place. However, I found most of the content over the last few months to be inferior to what I have been used here in the past. I understand that the level of intensity may not be equal all the time and that there will be some downs but still in my humble opinion, it has been going down for some times now. I certainly understand that the Chatterbox is not all about me (duh!) and I just said that my interest was going down because I don't find many of the threads to be interesting (when there are some althought it is getting better today).

You may disagree with me and that is fine but I just hope that I could state my opinion and share my feelings with you. I just think that the Chatterbox could be a lot more vibrant than it is right now and I don't believe most of the reasons that you are given to explain the situation. I am absolutely not claiming that I am right (like some of you here think that they know the supreme truth about everything) and I really wish that I am wrong and that things will come back.


Matt.

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by slofstra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 am

Fergus wrote:I really am not quite sure how to respond to this thread. I personally still enjoy logging on to this site (strictly Classical Music Chatterbox only) because, firstly, I have learned so much from you guys since I joined and , secondly, I still continue to learn and get great recommendations which I continually purchase and enjoy. So, fundamentally the site still fulfils the primary reason for my joining in the first place.

I do think that one thing that should be taken into consideration in relation to “discussion” is the different cultural differences that exist between both sides of the Atlantic. This varied membership is also one of the strong points of CMG in my opinion but one has to understand that there are things that are “local” to you guys over there that we cannot comment on because we cannot experience the situation e.g. recent discussions on orchestras and conductors etc. (interesting to read though!).

I would be positive in general though. People should value what we have here and realise that people like me do still enjoy and benefit from the experience and generous help and guidance that is usually forthcoming from the general and varied membership. OK, not everyone is an eager or willing poster but that is not to say that they do not enjoy what they get out of CMG....after all lots do still log on and read. Keep the faith guys :D
Comments on "local" orchestras and events, esp from members in New York, Philadelphia, etc, are one of the strong points of the board I feel. I try to pitch in occasionally with happenings here in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. :lol:

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by slofstra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:38 am

ravel30 wrote:Oh my, I am slightly losing my dignity around here because of my comments on this thread. First of all, I will invite you all to read again what I wrote. I never said that the Chatterbox was not a good place to be, that people were not kind and uninteresting. On the contrary, it is a marvellous place. However, I found most of the content over the last few months to be inferior to what I have been used here in the past. I understand that the level of intensity may not be equal all the time and that there will be some downs but still in my humble opinion, it has been going down for some times now. I certainly understand that the Chatterbox is not all about me (duh!) and I just said that my interest was going down because I don't find many of the threads to be interesting (when there are some althought it is getting better today).

You may disagree with me and that is fine but I just hope that I could state my opinion and share my feelings with you. I just think that the Chatterbox could be a lot more vibrant than it is right now and I don't believe most of the reasons that you are given to explain the situation. I am absolutely not claiming that I am right (like some of you here think that they know the supreme truth about everything) and I really wish that I am wrong and that things will come back.


Matt.
Pat yourself on the back, Matt. By being bold, you've stimulated an interesting conversation. You're also entitled to your opinion, good or bad, and if anyone is offended, and I highly doubt anyone is, that's their problem. They're also free to disagree with you, of course, but I'm sure every one's amity toward you will prevail.

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by slofstra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 pm

absinthe wrote:
ravel30 wrote:I knew that people would jump on my ''slowly dying'' comment. I don't know if the chatterbox is slowly dying in the absolute but I know my interest is. That was what I was trying to explain.
. . . . . . . . .
I really don't buy that people don't write much anymore because they already answered a particular question. Opinion changes over the years. What I answered 2 years ago may be very different to what I could answer now.

Not too sure about the fact that it is the Summer either. I was there last Summer and CMG was very dynamic at that time. And it is not just this summer that had a downturn but well before that too. I remember when all those threads on favorites came out. I thought that the idea was good and I enjoyed them for some times but then people started to make fun of them and ridiculed them. That is when it started to 'slowy die' in my mind.

Matt.
Oh.... Sorry to hear that, Matt, about the favourites. Their absence was one of my attractions to CMG. I knew when I first encountered CMG that here were knowledgeable people, professionals (including some truly educated listeners) and I'd benefit from having my somewhat narrow musical interests broadened a bit. It's happened more within the discussions than those lists of favourites, I have to say. But each to their own.

I joined up in the vain hope that I might contribute in return (when those narrow interests arose) for what I was taking as I lurked.
I've never balanced the books but I try.

I'm still something of a Bulletin Board greenhorn so my comments on this topic don't count for too much. I'm obviously flattered when one of my posts is acknowledged - and I did enjoy the chat about Bax and Ireland! I also miss chat about Debussy and other symbolists/impressionists (whichever you choose), Ravel and a few more.

CMG changed in subtle ways about a year after I joined. But I suppose it's the way of things that valuable virtual communities like CMG will shift focus over time. Isn't that good - the site will never stagnate with the huge pool of the knowledge ready to be put forth. It may seem static right now but another of its attractions is its dynamic; ability to grow while taking time out to consolidate here and there.
Currently the emphasis is on Austro-German music with a little Sibelius and ex-comecon thrown in. But sooner or later someone raise a topic outside that range - as you did with Bax.

It's certainly the most pleasant CM site I found; a greater emphasis on friendship and a communal passion for music than confrontation (which does happen, of course - unfortunately it's come my way but one has to live with these things or leave - quite the exception though). But it would be far poorer if posters said "I agree" all the time,
don't you think?

Some members refer to themselves as oldies. But it's them who have a huge backlog of experience - listening, performing, broadcasting, collecting music that can only be held in respect; and do you know what? It brings me to another reason I joined: my occupation for the past 2/3 years has often kept me away from practical music, even attentive listening. And CMG has gone a long way to keeping me in touch. So I am in debt to it.

I'll be here until I'm thrown out. It's a very positive place. It nurtures newcomers - it puts up with me, a sort of inbetweener. What more could I ask?

:)

I think the difficulty (and perhaps it's an irony) is that as post quality increases, participation decreases. A couple years ago a friend told me he reads here occasionally, but did not feel he knew enough to post anything. A couple years ago when I was looking to ramp up my classical music interest a little, I went looking for a board to ask questions, and to discuss my interest. With no musical training or knowledge I made a couple of querulous posts, but quickly felt daunted by some of the antagonistic responses (at that time).
I was assured by Lance and Corlyss that they really wanted newbies on the board, and since that was part of their stated editorial focus, and it is their board, I felt encouraged to continue posting.
But I think it's incumbent on members to make new posters feel welcome. CMGers usually do, with welcome messages and so on, but I'd suggest being careful with criticism of new members who may not have the mettle do to deal with such. Of course, there's always room for iron sharpening iron, but between those of similar mettle. Love to see Lance and Chalkie battle out about Fiedler and the like. :)

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:20 pm

ravel30 wrote:You may disagree with me and that is fine but I just hope that I could state my opinion and share my feelings with you. I just think that the Chatterbox could be a lot more vibrant than it is right now and I don't believe most of the reasons that you are given to explain the situation. I am absolutely not claiming that I am right (like some of you here think that they know the supreme truth about everything) and I really wish that I am wrong and that things will come back.
The demise of Sylph seriously affected the quality of Threads, he briefly resurfaced as Neytiri, but, eventually started attacking the other members again and was re-banned, I think that his input is partly what you are missing, his Threads were great, but, unfortunately he had another side to him that caused him to be banned (twice)...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by Chalkperson » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 pm

slofstra wrote: I think the difficulty (and perhaps it's an irony) is that as post quality increases, participation decreases. A couple years ago a friend told me he reads here occasionally, but did not feel he knew enough to post anything. A couple years ago when I was looking to ramp up my classical music interest a little, I went looking for a board to ask questions, and to discuss my interest. With no musical training or knowledge I made a couple of querulous posts, but quickly felt daunted by some of the antagonistic responses (at that time).
I was assured by Lance and Corlyss that they really wanted newbies on the board, and since that was part of their stated editorial focus, and it is their board, I felt encouraged to continue posting.
But I think it's incumbent on members to make new posters feel welcome. CMGers usually do, with welcome messages and so on, but I'd suggest being careful with criticism of new members who may not have the mettle do to deal with such. Of course, there's always room for iron sharpening iron, but between those of similar mettle. Love to see Lance and Chalkie battle out about Fiedler and the like. :)
Lance allows me a certain latitude in attacking Conductors and Composers I do not like, and I try and keep it humorous and use the smilies to indicate that you should not take all my comments seriously, also Lance and I are good friends and I love rattling his cage, the idea of newbies not posting because of fear that they don't know enough is not something that is easily solved, Classical Music has always had a certain "snob factor" and that often intimidates people from commenting...newbies are very important here, and so is asking questions, that's how to get stimulating Threads, I remember somebody asking about Liszt's B Minor Sonata and the Thread received dozens of replies the minute the question was posed...lastly, people should not take it personally when their Threads receive no replies, it happens to all of us, no matter who starts the Thread...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by slofstra » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Chalkperson wrote:
slofstra wrote: I think the difficulty (and perhaps it's an irony) is that as post quality increases, participation decreases. A couple years ago a friend told me he reads here occasionally, but did not feel he knew enough to post anything. A couple years ago when I was looking to ramp up my classical music interest a little, I went looking for a board to ask questions, and to discuss my interest. With no musical training or knowledge I made a couple of querulous posts, but quickly felt daunted by some of the antagonistic responses (at that time).
I was assured by Lance and Corlyss that they really wanted newbies on the board, and since that was part of their stated editorial focus, and it is their board, I felt encouraged to continue posting.
But I think it's incumbent on members to make new posters feel welcome. CMGers usually do, with welcome messages and so on, but I'd suggest being careful with criticism of new members who may not have the mettle do to deal with such. Of course, there's always room for iron sharpening iron, but between those of similar mettle. Love to see Lance and Chalkie battle out about Fiedler and the like. :)
Lance allows me a certain latitude in attacking Conductors and Composers I do not like, and I try and keep it humorous and use the smilies to indicate that you should not take all my comments seriously, also Lance and I are good friends and I love rattling his cage, the idea of newbies not posting because of fear that they don't know enough is not something that is easily solved, Classical Music has always had a certain "snob factor" and that often intimidates people from commenting...newbies are very important here, and so is asking questions, that's how to get stimulating Threads, I remember somebody asking about Liszt's B Minor Sonata and the Thread received dozens of replies the minute the question was posed...lastly, people should not take it personally when their Threads receive no replies, it happens to all of us, no matter who starts the Thread...
All good points, chalkie. I hope you found the tone of my remarks positive as they were intended to be.

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: An observation

Post by living_stradivarius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:15 pm

I would also say that general classical music discussion may not jive with everyone. Many of us have specific genres of interest within classical music, and each genre only has so many aficionados.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests