Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
stenka razin
CMG's Chief Decorator
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 am
Location: In The Steppes Of Central Asia

Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by stenka razin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:15 pm

I know how most of you feel about Lang Lang, but, on August 24th in the USA, Lang Lang's 'Live In Vienna' will be released by Sony in three different formats:

1-2 CDs
2-2 CDs+1 DVD+70 page hardbound book
3-Blu-ray

Lang Lang will play two Beethoven Piano Sonata's including the 'Appassionata'. This is his first take on LvB.
In addition, there will be three selections from Albeniz 'Iberia and the Prokofiev Piano Sonata No. 7.
In addition, there will be three Chopin encores.

Considering his 'approval' rating here, I guess he has no place to go but up...Let's
hope. The 2 CD set is selling at present for just $11. 99 at Amazon and that is definitely
going to be something I can live with. The price is right, let's hope
the pianism is 'right' also.

Your comments, my fellow CMGers?

Image
Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 pm

In that photo he looks like he's trying to balance on a Skateboard... :mrgreen:
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18506
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Lance » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm

I have a copy of the two-CD set to review. It's on Sony Classical. I think DGG did a great job representing Lang Lang regardless of what one thinks of his pianism. Must be the Sony people came up with more $$$ (I forget what happened; seems like I read about it but cannot now recall). Lang Lang's discs sell pretty much like hotcakes so his presence on Sony will, I'm sure, do much to bring $$$ to the coffers.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

gperkins151
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by gperkins151 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 pm

George

Wallingford
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:31 pm
Location: Brush, Colorado

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Wallingford » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey in my book the kid is alright.

I'll be sure to give it a hearing once it appears on Rhapsody.
If I could tell my mom and dad
That the things we never had
Never mattered we were always ok
Getting ready for Christmas day
--Paul Simon

josé echenique
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:01 am

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by josé echenique » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 pm

I heard him play the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto with the USB Youth Symphony Orchestra under Belohlávek in some 15 minutes, or at least as fast as is humanly possible, and it was the most heartless, uninteresting and unmusical performance I have ever heard of that concerto.
This guy needs to hear some records of Shura Cherkassky BAAAADLY!!!!

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Chalkperson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm

The Blu Ray disc is in 3D... :lol:
This recital, one of 2010’s most eagerly-awaited classical recordings, will be released in its entirety on the following multiple formats: Deluxe limited edition, Blu-ray, DVD, LP vinyl and Digital formats. For the first time Lang Lang will be performing some of the album’s repertoire in the new spectacular 3D format which will be a bonus feature on the Blu-Ray. This will include the first movement of Beethoven’s Appassionata Sonata, Evocation from Albeniz’s Iberia suite, the explosive finale of Prokofiev’s Seventh Sonata and Chopin’s Heroic Polonaise. This forms part of Lang Lang’s commitment to reaching new audiences through innovative technologies, a goal he also aims to realize through his global brand ambassadorship with Sony Electronics.
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:18 am

Chalkperson wrote:The Blu Ray disc is in 3D... :lol:
This recital, one of 2010’s most eagerly-awaited classical recordings, will be released in its entirety on the following multiple formats: Deluxe limited edition, Blu-ray, DVD, LP vinyl and Digital formats. For the first time Lang Lang will be performing some of the album’s repertoire in the new spectacular 3D format which will be a bonus feature on the Blu-Ray. This will include the first movement of Beethoven’s Appassionata Sonata, Evocation from Albeniz’s Iberia suite, the explosive finale of Prokofiev’s Seventh Sonata and Chopin’s Heroic Polonaise. This forms part of Lang Lang’s commitment to reaching new audiences through innovative technologies, a goal he also aims to realize through his global brand ambassadorship with Sony Electronics.
Yeah you can literally feel your eardrums breaking.
Image

Holden Fourth
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 am

Ugly playing - does he really understand LvB?

absinthe
Posts: 3630
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by absinthe » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 am

As I understand it, his $3million deal with Sony has set him as a 'cheerleading cash cow for one of the world's greediest multinationals' (I think someone said). So I suppose he's now product.

No doubt Sony will change his name to Bling Bling (that also has sinister connections to the sound that old-fashioned cash registers made).

:?

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by slofstra » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 am

I'll be waiting for the Yuja Wang DVD. Anyone know when that's coming out?

maestrob
Posts: 6970
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by maestrob » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 am

BBC Magazine just gave the new Lang Lang recital 4 stars (out of 5).

He may be too young to give his Beethoven any real depth, but the Prokofiev should be quite good. I, for one, am willing to give the disc a shot just out of curiosity.

Donaldopato
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Donaldopato » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Do we have to???? I'll take Yuja Wang anytime.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Guitarist
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:22 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Guitarist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Let's not...

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Chalkperson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Here he is playing The Flight of the Bumble Bee in San Francisco on an iPad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvplGbCBaLA

What's interesting is that he's not doing it on a Piano App, it's called Magic Pianoand it can be played without any keys and you just tap away and it makes the music up based on where you hit the screen...which I find did find quite impressive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFGshySVogw

BUT, here's Steven Hough talking and playing a Keyboard Piano App and Magic Piano...he points out that the song that was already programmed into the App, all Langy was doing was playing the Rythem correctly...the word charlatan comes to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDFeRlw ... ature=fvwp
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

living_stradivarius
Posts: 6724
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm
Location: Minnesnowta
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by living_stradivarius » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Chalkperson wrote:BUT, here's Steven Hough talking and playing a Keyboard Piano App and Magic Piano...he points out that the song that was already programmed into the App, all Langy was doing was playing the Rythem correctly...the word charlatan comes to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDFeRlw ... ature=fvwp
Lol, they used a mockup to market the app :lol:
Image

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Chalkperson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 am

living_stradivarius wrote:
Chalkperson wrote:BUT, here's Steven Hough talking and playing a Keyboard Piano App and Magic Piano...he points out that the song that was already programmed into the App, all Langy was doing was playing the Rythem correctly...the word charlatan comes to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDFeRlw ... ature=fvwp
Lol, they used a mockup to market the app :lol:
This song is really played on iPad's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4mcA-9WCE
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

JackC
Posts: 2987
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 10:57 am

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by JackC » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:36 am

With all the more talented, deeply musical people in the world who get no recognitionn because people like Bang Ban suck all oxygen out, why give Bang Bang another chance?? Instead, wouldn't it be better to reward some more serious musicians who care more about the music than whether they can be goo goo-eyed pop stars.

Some of his stuff makes David Helgott's playing sound coherent and convincing in comparison.

I mean, who cares whether in another 20 years he might be capable of giving a tolerable performance of a Beethoven sonata? :roll:

ch1525
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:53 pm
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by ch1525 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:46 pm

slofstra wrote:I'll be waiting for the Yuja Wang DVD. Anyone know when that's coming out?
I wouldn't mind seeing her in 3D!

Chalkperson
Disposable Income Specialist
Posts: 17669
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by Chalkperson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm

ch1525 wrote:
slofstra wrote:I'll be waiting for the Yuja Wang DVD. Anyone know when that's coming out?
I wouldn't mind seeing her in 3D!
THere is a DVD that as just released of her playing Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto with Claudio Abbado, also on the disc is Mahler's 1st Symphony, I have not had a chance to watch it yet...
Sent via Twitter by @chalkperson

maestrob
Posts: 6970
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:50 am

Chalkperson wrote:
ch1525 wrote:
slofstra wrote:I'll be waiting for the Yuja Wang DVD. Anyone know when that's coming out?
I wouldn't mind seeing her in 3D!
THere is a DVD that as just released of her playing Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto with Claudio Abbado, also on the disc is Mahler's 1st Symphony, I have not had a chance to watch it yet...
The Mahler is superb, the Prokofiev is so-so when compared to Argerich, according to BBC Magazine. I've got it on order anyway.....

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by slofstra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:34 pm

ch1525 wrote:
slofstra wrote:I'll be waiting for the Yuja Wang DVD. Anyone know when that's coming out?
I wouldn't mind seeing her in 3D!
I have and will be again next winter:

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Events ... d_Artists/

This will be the second time she has played in our city (Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario).

slofstra
Posts: 8983
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Let's Give Lang Lang Another Chance.........

Post by slofstra » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:42 pm

With regard to the Lang Lang I am curious just to see what all the fuss is about. I've downloaded some live concerts on itunes, an excellent way to enjoy a concert. But they have ZILCH from the classical world.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests