Gary Graffman (pianist) oldies appearing again!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Gary Graffman (pianist) oldies appearing again!

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Taking a look back ... remember some of these LP covers?
History is repeating itself. They're back (thankfully)!

As a long-time LP (long-play) record collector, among the legendary RCA Victor artists I amassed included pianist Gary Graffman [b. 1928]. While Graffman didn't produce on disc the quantity of a Casadesus, Horowitz or Rubinstein, he was highly respected and known for his supreme artistry and musicianship. Graffman also recorded for Columbia Records. At this time, around 1950 through 1975 or thereabouts, these two record labels were considered the absolute patrician of labels in the USA.

The following were some of Gary Graffman's superb RCA Victor long-play recordings:

•LSC-2304 : Chopin: Ballades (all 4); Andante Spianato & Grande Polonaise [Now on Sony 68288]

•LSC-2274 : Brahms: Piano Concerto #1 in D Minor, Op. 15 w/Boston Symphony Orchestra; Charles Munch, conductor [Now on Sony 68284]

•LSC-2468 : Chopin: Piano Concerto #1 in E Minor, Op. 11; Mendelssohn: Capriccio Brillant, Op. 22 w/Boston Symphony Orchestra; Charles Munch, conductor [Now on Sony 68285]

•LSC-2443 : "The Virtuoso Liszt" - Paganini/Liszt: 6 Etudes; Liebestraum in A-flat, Op. 62/3; Etude #3 in D-flat Major ("Un Sospiro"); Hungarian Rhapsody #11 in A Minor; Years of Pilgrimage-Italy, No. 2 "Il Penserosos"; Consolation #3 in D-flat Major [Now on Sony 68287]

All of the above discs have been released and are distributed by ArkivMusic under license of BMG-Sony; they are not reissues by RCA or Sony Classical themselves. Prices run $16-$18 per disc. Near as I can determine, they are issued with original notes and front cover artwork. Whatever process is used by ArkivMusic, the replication of inserts and even the discs themselves are about as close as one can get to an original release by the original manufacturer. My first listen was to Graffman's outstanding "Virtuoso Liszt" disc. The first thing you will observe in, especially, all the works except the Paganini/Liszt Etudes, is the extraneous noise ... street noise, cars, buses, etc., noise that was not immediately apparent in the original RCA stereo LP issues. There is even some cable hum here and there. The digital process has cleaned up the general sound making it more realistic than ever before and augments it with the noises of the City of New York! The art of Graffman, however, always shines through. He had the ability to communicate great music-making but without making it sound like work. I always personally marveled at the excellent balance between his right- and left hands.

Graffman will be 82 years young in October 2010, and has served music well. Like his friend, Leon Fleisher, Graffman, too, suffered problems with his hands [focal dystonia], but he would always teach, or administrate, like he has done at the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia, Pa. for so long following in the footsteps of several other well known musicians and performers. Graffman's malady put a damper on his international (and national) career somewhat so that a generation or two preceding us would never know about his art. Thanks to these reissues, Graffman's name can once again be in the forefront of great pianism in the second half of the twentieth century. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Donald Isler

Re: Gary Graffman (pianist) oldies appearing again!

Post by Donald Isler » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 am

I'm glad to report that Mr. Graffman didn't look like such an oldie when I saw him recently at the Festival at Mannes. In fact, he looks very good for his age.
Donald Isler

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 am

Among my favorite Graffman efforts is one which is often overlooked--his recording of the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto with George Szell & the Cleveland Orchestra.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

Somewhere in print, I saw an allusion to one of Graffman's "best" recordings ever: George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I have that recording [Sony 36020], from Woody Allen's film Manhattan. The NYP is conducted by Zubin Mehta. It was fine playing, but hardly the "best" of Graffman's recorded legacy, at least IMHO. What's your opinion on this?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

RebLem wrote:Among my favorite Graffman efforts is one which is often overlooked--his recording of the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto with George Szell & the Cleveland Orchestra.
Graffman actually recorded all three Tchaikovsky concerti for Columbia (I w/Szell, II & III w/Ormandy), issued briefly in this now discontinued set, along with an excellent Pictures at an Exhibition:

There's one copy left on Amazon, or you can download the mp3's.......

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Three ... 219&sr=1-1

Jppiano

Post by Jppiano » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am

Graffman just appeared at the 2010 IKIF (International Keyboard Institute and Festival) at Mannes last month, and he performed for about 10 minutes (most of it was an interview and recordings/videos). He only plays LH rep these days, and he plays that rep very well indeed. He played the 2 Scriabin Op. 9 pieces and a transcription of Op. 2#1 for LH alone by Jay Reise - quite a tough piece THAT is! He still plays well...

Joe P.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Joe, thank you for the update on Graffman. I have long marveled at his piano artistry.
Jppiano wrote:Graffman just appeared at the 2010 IKIF (International Keyboard Institute and Festival) at Mannes last month, and he performed for about 10 minutes (most of it was an interview and recordings/videos). He only plays LH rep these days, and he plays that rep very well indeed. He played the 2 Scriabin Op. 9 pieces and a transcription of Op. 2#1 for LH alone by Jay Reise - quite a tough piece THAT is! He still plays well...

Joe P.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 am

This thread inspired me to play one of my favorite LPs: Graffman's recording on Columbia (ML 6135) of Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy and Sonata in C Minor (D.958). After all these years, it's still a delight to listen to this superb playing of great music. However, the other distinguishing feature of this LP is the booby prize for the worst album cover: a portrait of Schubert distorted as if in a funhouse mirror.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:18 pm

It is, indeed, wonderful to have some of Gary Graffman's early recordings come back into the catalogue. The man was fortunate to record for America's two patrician record companies, RCA Victor and Columbia Records. Since they are now both under one corporate blanket, perhaps we might see a "Gary Graffman Edition." I'd buy it, but I fear the young people of today are too caught up in the work of Lang Lang, and other such people of his ilk and are not familiar with some of the great artists of the most recent past who are still amongst us.

I have all of Graffman's RCA Victor, Columbia, Decca/London and Moss Music/Vox recordings. Here's a listing of some Columbia LPs I have had since their issue that have not—to my knowledge—been reissued on compact discs:

[1] Columbia MS-6444 : Rachmaninoff: 3 Preludes, Barcarolle, Etude Tableaux, Elegie, and Polichinelle [also included Prokofiev selections, which were re-released on CD].

[2] Columbia MS-6735 : Schubert: "Wanderer" Fantasy AND Sonata in C Minor, Op. Posth.

[3] Columbia M-33890 : Beethoven: Piano Sonatas 31 and 32

'twould be nice, indeed, to have a Graffman "edition," don't you think?
Ricordanza wrote:This thread inspired me to play one of my favorite LPs: Graffman's recording on Columbia (ML 6135) of Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy and Sonata in C Minor (D.958). After all these years, it's still a delight to listen to this superb playing of great music. However, the other distinguishing feature of this LP is the booby prize for the worst album cover: a portrait of Schubert distorted as if in a funhouse mirror.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:26 am

[4] Columbia MY-37806 : Prokofiev: Piano Concertos 1 and 3 w/Cleveland Orchestra; George Szell, conductor AND Piano Sonata #3 in A Minor, Op. 28

Lance:

That was issued on CD back in 1983, and some copies are still floating around on Amazon for as low as $3.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Maestrob:

Thank you for the correction. I do have the Prokofiev CD after all [issued as 78743] and it should not have been on my list. Thank you for picking up on this!
maestrob wrote:[4] Columbia MY-37806 : Prokofiev: Piano Concertos 1 and 3 w/Cleveland Orchestra; George Szell, conductor AND Piano Sonata #3 in A Minor, Op. 28

Lance:

That was issued on CD back in 1983, and some copies are still floating around on Amazon for as low as $3.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief